Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #1981
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
...I grew up driving on the back roads in the country...got to know the limits of many a car really well....mostly by sailling clear past the limits...and into the ditch...
Ditto! Fortunately, I usually had my friend along to help push the car out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
...but after driving this winter, arguably the worst in years in terms of snow and cold, Im not going back to 2WD anytime soon...
After this year's big ice storm in Fort Worth, my wife & I went out in the Jeep, just blasting around, having a grand time, and scaring the natives. Most folks stayed home, but we weren't about to let that little ol' mess stop us.

I did, however, keep expecting to hear one of those radio traffic reporters come on and say: "...And YOU in the Jeep, CUT IT OUT!"

(Goodyear MTR mud tires on mine. They worked GREAT in the ice & slush we had.)
Old 03-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #1982
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,541
The Benz is having transmission issues so I'm driving the 'go to the dump' truck.

I managed to get somewhat sideways a few times on the drive to work Mon AM. ...going straight!

One of few times I've gotten to work with a smile on my face.

M
Old 03-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #1983
Bikenstitches
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Commuted in this AM, but as I left the driveway had to follow a line of cars behind the DOT truck salting the road due to 32F and fog. No worries and enjoyed the ride. Beautious ride home fo' schizzle-
Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #1984
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,479
It was snowing this morning so I took the train in to work. It was 48 on the way home, I really was debating this morning about riding in knowing it would be great this evening.

I live ~30 miles from work and the weather is completely different out in the suburbs. If I knew there was only a light dusting out there I may have but the radar was showing it was snowing pretty good out there. SUMMER GET YOUR F'ING ASS HERE

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #1985
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Ok this afternoon commuting home not much traffic, but I am coming up on a car in the left lane doing the speed limit maybe plus 5 mph, I am steadily coming up on him, mirror check, head check, fixing to go around him on the right, and lo and behold he puts on his right blinker and moves over to the right, yielding the passing lane. I was shocked!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #1986
Tweakedlogic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeventures View Post

I can't speak for the hipster cyclists in town that don't follow the rules, I'm with you there, they are asking to wind up waded up under a car.

I have to correct you on the taxes. I pay taxes, reg, and ins on multiple vehicles. Myself and just about every other guy who commutes by bicycle every now and then are also paying taxes for the roads, we just happen to also use them via bicycle. Share the roads, we're all paying for it.
Tweakedlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #1987
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Ok this afternoon commuting home not much traffic, but I am coming up on a car in the left lane doing the speed limit maybe plus 5 mph, I am steadily coming up on him, mirror check, head check, fixing to go around him on the right, and lo and behold he puts on his right blinker and moves over to the right, yielding the passing lane. I was shocked!
Wrong thread.

There's a thread titled 'the left lane' down in JM that needs this post.

M
Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #1988
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,401
I'm riding into work today, through a military training area, and notice some moisture down the oil track on the road, starting at a particular gravel road intersection. About another 100m down the road, the path of fluid gets wider, spreading into the whole lane. It isn't oil, but it sure as hell is spreading slick shit around.

A couple miles down the road, things are getting noticeably slicker, and I'm throttled down and taking it easy. Eventually, I catch up to the culprit. A LMTV was towing a water buffalo, and the jokers had opened the valve to drain it as they drove. However, there were 50+ more Army trucks ahead of them in the convoy, each dropping a fresh dose of oil down the center of the lane, allowing the gushing water from the buffalo to spread it out across the lane. Luckily I didn't have any real issues, but I could definitely feel the loss of traction the entire ride in. Asshats!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 03-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #1989
xit109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I believe it belongs in the WTF thread. Impossible!
Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #1990
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Wrong thread.

There's a thread titled 'the left lane' down in JM that needs this post.

M
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774354
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871547
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718734
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697409

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #1991
StephenGFiddes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I've never minded if another rider pulls up next to me at a light, as it's A: legal here in OR, and B: it generally leads to a fun short conversation.

Also, during winter, riding in the dark, or in the rain I wear a yellow reflective vest, and if I'm wearing a backpack, it has an army issue PT belt on it (year round)

My problem is when a car pulls up next to me... One day I was at a light on my old 650 (mirrors had a great view of my arms) and this Chevy 2500 (gasser) pulls up next to me. Scared the ever living s#!t out of me. I was about to get off my bike to give him a good talking to about never doing that to another motorcyclist ever again, then he starts talking to me. "Hey, it doesn't do a lot of good to wear the bright yellow vest then cover it with a camouflage (ACU) backpack." At this point I realize this (mid-50's) guy is just an immature moron with a lame sense of humor who doesn't think about how pulling up next to someone who's constantly being attacked by cagers is a really bad idea. Rather than get off and give a stern talking to, I decide he really meant no harm(my dad has the same stupid sense of humor) and say "that's why I have the reflective belt on the backpack." Still fuming from the fact that this guy is sitting in my lane next to me I just ignored the rest of his dumb@$$ statements and went about my day.

Looking back, I kindof wish I had said something about it being a bad idea to scare the shit out of a motorcyclist like that, cause not all are as nice as me (especially if I'm wearing anything military related), but it is what it is.

Also, it seems like every single time my wife rides pillon, someone try's to merge into us on the freeway. I'm quite used to, and quite good at detecting when someone's about to do something stupid and prepare accordingly, but still...
StephenGFiddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 AM   #1992
StephenGFiddes
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I'm riding into work today, through a military training area, and notice some moisture down the oil track on the road, starting at a particular gravel road intersection. About another 100m down the road, the path of fluid gets wider, spreading into the whole lane. It isn't oil, but it sure as hell is spreading slick shit around.

A couple miles down the road, things are getting noticeably slicker, and I'm throttled down and taking it easy. Eventually, I catch up to the culprit. A LMTV was towing a water buffalo, and the jokers had opened the valve to drain it as they drove. However, there were 50+ more Army trucks ahead of them in the convoy, each dropping a fresh dose of oil down the center of the lane, allowing the gushing water from the buffalo to spread it out across the lane. Luckily I didn't have any real issues, but I could definitely feel the loss of traction the entire ride in. Asshats!

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...

Bahaha that's typical army stupid crap. My unit does the same thing with the water buffalo when we leave Yakima. Thing drains for forever! Never thought about the fact that humvees all leak like a civ (especially artillery ones cause no one seems to be able to bring it up off of low idle while parked so the CSV can reduce the crankcase pressure.) and the water sitting on top of it.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #1993
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenGFiddes View Post
Bahaha that's typical army stupid crap. My unit does the same thing with the water buffalo when we leave Yakima. Thing drains for forever! Never thought about the fact that humvees all leak like a civ (especially artillery ones cause no one seems to be able to bring it up off of low idle while parked so the CSV can reduce the crankcase pressure.) and the water sitting on top of it.
sieve [/Klay]

Don't insult us civilians by implying we typically leak.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #1994
StephenGFiddes
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
sieve [/Klay]

Don't insult us civilians by implying we typically leak.
If you've got a drip you may want to get that checked....

Don't insult us military folk for not knowing how to spell. Pull string go boom
Old 03-28-2014, 08:45 AM   #1995
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,802
Sort of pseudo commuting but while I was sitting at a red light on the Tiger 1050, a young guy wheeled up on an 80's Puch moped and looked over at me and revved the engine, like "Wanna run it?" Then he burst out laughing as it sounded so funny. I got a kick out of it.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote