Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #2116
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
"My buddy's horn, from the passenger seat, no less.

E v e n t u a l l y the lady in the mini-van s l o w l y eases forward j u s t enough to let the ambulance by.

I doubt my honking helped w/ anything but my frustration, really.

My buddy was pissed; I had to apologize for my egregious breach of etiquette."

Your buddy needs to be educated on the concept of the Designated Yeller. This concept allows the driver to fully concentrate on the task of driving. It encourages the passenger to yell, gesture, honk the horn, or even lean across the driver to stick his or her head out the drivers window for better access to the adjacent idiot.
Calming for the driver, and gives the passenger a feeling of accomplishment. It also gives the passenger something to do.
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #2117
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
It's not alawys as straight forward as you think.

December '84 and I've just flown into Miami from Bolivia after completing a transcontinental ride across the Americas.

Rented a car at the airport and drove downtown, still half asleep after an overnight flight. Driving along and I hear the sound of sirens and bells, look around and can't see any emergency vehicles so continue on my merrry way. 10 seconds later I hear this huge PAARRP, look around again and still see nothing, ... 3 more PARPS and I look in my mirror to see this massive firetruck with flashing lights right behind me.

Finally dawns on me and I pull over to let it go past. What confused me was the sound of the horn - in Oz at that time fire engines used bells and sirens NOT foghorns, so I wasn't expecting it.
Right, in Oz a fog horn is usually attached to a light house and how often would one of those need you to move over?
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #2118
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud99 View Post
"My buddy's horn, from the passenger seat, no less.

E v e n t u a l l y the lady in the mini-van s l o w l y eases forward j u s t enough to let the ambulance by.

I doubt my honking helped w/ anything but my frustration, really.

My buddy was pissed; I had to apologize for my egregious breach of etiquette."

Your buddy needs to be educated on the concept of the Designated Yeller. This concept allows the driver to fully concentrate on the task of driving. It encourages the passenger to yell, gesture, honk the horn, or even lean across the driver to stick his or her head out the drivers window for better access to the adjacent idiot.
Calming for the driver, and gives the passenger a feeling of accomplishment. It also gives the passenger something to do.
My wife is all over that position when we drive somewhere, regardless of whether she's the passenger or not!
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #2119
KansasKawboy
KK

Oddometer: 708
The other night I was riding home from work at 1:30 am and had just passed the UPS warehouse when I see 2 things in the road. They were big canvas bags, a little further down the road was another one and about a mile further another one. My daughter who used to work there said they were the bags that they put envolopes and small boxes in. Somebody didn't get a trailer door closed.

If everyone is crazy does that make it 'normal'?-claude
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #2120
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,603
I discovered that you look like an idiot trying to flip someone off while wearing Aerostich rain glove covers.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-t...it-covers.html

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #2121
GSJon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by matkal View Post
I discovered that you look like an idiot trying to flip someone off while wearing Aerostich rain glove covers.

Been there and done that too. Looks like you are lifting a hoof up.

ADVMax: BMW's do not break down - they fail to proceed.
GSJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #2122
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by matkal View Post

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #2123
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 92
Riding home from errands today on the TT350, on a normal four lane road with a divider in the center (two lanes in either direction). As I pause at a flashing stoplight I see a big herd of cages in the mirror, so I hot foot it a little to avoid getting mixed up in the late evening traffic.

The next light turns red, so I end up getting mixed in with all the cages anyways, albeit it in front of them. Before the light turns green, I move up a little to let the guy in the pickup behind me turn right, and for some reason the white BMW next to me decides he has to move a few inches forward too.

Finally, the light turns green, and I'm off on my merry way. Until BMW guy decides we're drag racing. As I'm cruising at about 50-55, he decides to slam on the gas from roughly 400 yards behind until we're neck and neck, then keeps pace with me for about 20 seconds. I wondered why he didn't just accelerate past me until I saw the glowing rectangular object in his right hand.

Texting while street racing... smart.

1986 Yamaha XT600 (daily driver) 14,876 miles
1986 Yamaha TT350 (dirt supermoto) 5021 miles
1978 Yamaha XT500 15371 miles
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:21 AM   #2124
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Riding home from errands today on the TT350, on a normal four lane road with a divider in the center (two lanes in either direction). As I pause at a flashing stoplight I see a big herd of cages in the mirror, so I hot foot it a little to avoid getting mixed up in the late evening traffic.

The next light turns red, so I end up getting mixed in with all the cages anyways, albeit it in front of them. Before the light turns green, I move up a little to let the guy in the pickup behind me turn right, and for some reason the white BMW next to me decides he has to move a few inches forward too.

Finally, the light turns green, and I'm off on my merry way. Until BMW guy decides we're drag racing. As I'm cruising at about 50-55, he decides to slam on the gas from roughly 400 yards behind until we're neck and neck, then keeps pace with me for about 20 seconds. I wondered why he didn't just accelerate past me until I saw the glowing rectangular object in his right hand.

Texting while street racing... smart.
Naw, man. You looked cool so he had to get a picture of you!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:33 AM   #2125
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
A few days ago I was riding back from night shift at UPS and was cruising around 70 on the interstate. Almost in downtown. Some white pickup got on in front of me and released a maelstrom of dirt/cement/whatever_else from their truck. And you thought bugs hurt to hit. Fortunately I managed to miss all the larger chunks that came off and were rolling behind them and got out of it pretty quickly since I cut the throttle as soon as I started getting pelted.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #2126
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
I’ve been riding off and on since 1987 and I received my first traffic offence on a motorcycle today. It’s my turn to “pay to play”, right?

I’m cruising along in traffic and I notice up ahead that the red lights for the train just came on and blinking. I take the unused merge lane and make my way to the front of all the traffic and sit at the unguarded train intersection, where it’s now two lanes. I shut the engine off and do what usually do, watch the graffiti artwork scroll by as I sit in 90°f heat in ATGATT. I look to my right and there is a guy with a gun on his hip and a badge around his neck, I look again and there are 5 more this time and two unmarked SUV, blue lights flashing, on my ass.

The first thing they ask for is my license and I mention that it’s in my bag (it’s a semi-rigid tail pack). They now ask, what’s in the bag and I say my wallet. Ok, now he’s decided to be more specific and asks if there’s a gun in my bag. I say no but there is a pocket knife and a Leatherman and a Leatherman Micro in there. I raise my gloved hands and mention that I’m going to open the bag and as I unzip the bag the cop behind me moves and gets closer and from the corner of my eye I see that he has his right hand on his unlatched holster. Apparently he’s ready for some action; he and 5 of his best buddies want a reason to smack a rider around.

I pull out my wallet and give the one cop talking to me the driver’s license and he takes it back to the air conditioned SUV. I guess the runs a radio/PC check on my credentials and proceeds to write the ticket because I’m hanging around with 5 other cops in the heat. Instead of boring myself to death I asked him why the other guy didn’t ask for my registration and/or insurance documents. He said he trusts me to have those on my person. Trust? I say back to him as I look around at the cops surrounding me.

So they don’t look too bored too, the other guys asked me where I’m from (I guess he figured I had a Yankee accent and didn’t have that twang in my speech pattern). I reply with Tacoma by way of Los Angeles and he says we don’t split lanes in Mississippi like they do in California. I asked if he rides and he says no that he likes to stay out of a wheel chair. The cop writing the ticket gets out and looks at the side of my bike and asked if I was on a “Busa”. I say no, it’s a Honda CBR 1100; he nods and gets back into the SUV. Mr. Ticket Writer is slow to write my ticket and I ask about texting and driving because I witnessed multiple drivers texting and weaving like mad on my commute. He says that they don’t care about that and then goes to say that I could do that while I ride my motorcycle and they wouldn’t care.

I finally get my ticket and license and he explains the details about the court date, paying and a number to call. I put the documents in my bag and fire up the bike. Just as I straddle the seat the train finally gets out of the way and I take the last half mile to the parking garage at the speed limit. I guess this is my entry fee for all the times I’ve sped, didn’t use my blinkers and didn’t stop completely at a stop sign (you know, put your foot down).

By the way, during the entire 5 minutes of the process not once was I asked to remove my helmet or raise my internal (orange/yellow) sun-visor

Should I pay or should I show up at court and possibly lose my “argument” and pay anyhow?

So, that’s how my commute went for today.

Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #2127
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,582
Go to court. If you don't they'll put a warrant out for you. If you do, you'll at least get to explain your side and maybe they'll reduce the fine.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #2128
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,803
Careless and clean record? Fight it for sure. One more bit of bad luck and they'll hang two on you.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #2129
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,462
Yeah, I'll go to court and hope I can explain my way to a lesser fine or completely toss it out to a clean record, etc.

We need universal lane-splitting!
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #2130
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
Yeah, I'll go to court and hope I can explain my way to a lesser fine or completely toss it out to a clean record, etc.

We need universal lane-splitting!

Say what you will about California, but splitting and filtering at lights is the best thing ever. I actually look forward to those highway projects with a pilot car. I get to pass about a hundred cars, go right to the front of the line, and after the pilot car guides us through, there's nobody in front of me for 15 minutes.