Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #2206
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
you mean they don't put one turn signal on each handlebar anymore?

I may have been reading too much into the description, but sounded like the guy had turned off the left blinker, but moved the switch over too far and activated the right blinker (i.e. a Japanese style, sliding L-off-R turn signal switch).
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #2207
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Stuff View Post
I may have been reading too much into the description, but sounded like the guy had turned off the left blinker, but moved the switch over too far and activated the right blinker (i.e. a Japanese style, sliding L-off-R turn signal switch).

You're right. Bike was Harley in style, though not quite as loud as Instructor Pirate's. Switchgear was on the left.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #2208
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Saw a new one today, group of Harleys riding in front of me on the way home from work coming up on a merge where the two lane road ends and it funnels down to one. Idiot in a SUV cut into the middle of the group of four riders cutting the two in the rear off... Not totally unexpected on this piece of road (15N coming out of Leesburg VA if you are curious). The new one on me is about a mile later both of the riders in the rear pass the SUV in a right turn only lane. Was it really that bad being one additional car length away from your riding partners? What if there had been an actual car in that lane braking to turn?

The really fun part is after being in such a hurry to get back together they proceeded to do the normal bike week pirate routine and slow waayyyyy down for every corner so they could minimize lean angles, and then accelerate like hell for the straights....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #2209
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Saw a new one today, group of Harleys riding in front of me on the way home from work coming up on a merge where the two lane road ends and it funnels down to one. Idiot in a SUV cut into the middle of the group of four riders cutting the two in the rear off... Not totally unexpected on this piece of road (15N coming out of Leesburg VA if you are curious). The new one on me is about a mile later both of the riders in the rear pass the SUV in a right turn only lane. Was it really that bad being one additional car length away from your riding partners? What if there had been an actual car in that lane braking to turn?

The really fun part is after being in such a hurry to get back together they proceeded to do the normal bike week pirate routine and slow waayyyyy down for every corner so they could minimize lean angles, and then accelerate like hell for the straights....
Sounds like more of a "Fuck You" pass than a "we're going to get lost" pass.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #2210
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

...the normal bike week pirate routine and slow waayyyyy down for every corner so they could minimize lean angles, and then accelerate like hell for the straights....

Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post

Sounds like more of a "Fuck You" pass than a "we're going to get lost" pass.

That whole "bike-week routine" style of riding sounds like a big FUCK YOU in and of itself.

And here I always just attributed it to ineptitude.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #2211
sdmichael
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I had a bunch (four or five) of guys on cruisers get upset with me that I was trying to split past them in heavy traffic. I was on the 215 just south of the 10 in the San Bernardino area. They weren't splitting, I assume either too wide or just wanted to stay as a group. I didn't wish to deal with their noise or the traffic. The problem with them was they not only failed to even acknowledge my presence, but they were even closer to the edge of the lane than most cars. As such, it made it difficult to pass. I finally got by their leader, who yelled something as I passed. They could have just let me by, but chose to be rude instead.

I've had similar issues with cruiser groups with their legs spread so far they cross over the line for the bike lane, passing really close while I was cycling. I just don't understand the whole "gotta stick as a group regardless of conditions" and "side-by-side" crap that pushes both bikes awfully close to the edges of the lane.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 AM   #2212
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Motorcyclist holding up traffic riding 5mph below the speed limit.....must have been at least 10 cars behind him with no passing zone.....

No it was not a HD rider.....
Old 07-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #2213
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Motorcyclist holding up traffic riding 5mph below the speed limit.....must have been at least 10 cars behind him with no passing zone.....

No it was not a HD rider.....
Probably fed up with constantly pulling only to face abuse from passing vehicles so thought "Fuck it, I'm within 10% of the posted speed limit and, over an hour, I'm gonna add a maximum of 5 minutes to their journey (if they stay behind me for an entire hour) so fuck 'em - impatient wankers".

Yes? No?
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #2214
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
My guess is newb rider believing his speedo is accurate...Rush hour traffic routinely runs 5-10mph over in that section of road....
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #2215
henshao
Bained

I know speeding is against the law yadda yadda, but who buys or rides a motorcycle without any intention of speeding? This is a very curious person. I'm sure some asshole will be tempted to respond to this post saying we don't all want to race motorcycles on public roads, that is not what kind of speeding I am talking about. Only about 1% of roads have I encountered, where the traffic flowed at less than or at the speed limit. Ride 55mph on an interstate and you'll have a law enforcement officer blow past you eventually.

So who rides a motorcycle, with the intention to go the speed limit? What an odd person.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:53 AM   #2216
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
I know speeding is against the law yadda yadda, but who buys or rides a motorcycle without any intention of speeding? This is a very curious person. I'm sure some asshole will be tempted to respond to this post saying we don't all want to race motorcycles on public roads, that is not what kind of speeding I am talking about. Only about 1% of roads have I encountered, where the traffic flowed at less than or at the speed limit. Ride 55mph on an interstate and you'll have a law enforcement officer blow past you eventually.

So who rides a motorcycle, with the intention to go the speed limit? What an odd person.
I don't buy my motorcycles with the intention of speeding.

Speeding is a by-product.

Selling my CBR
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #2217
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Me, and thank you.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #2218
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyrdr View Post
i don't buy my motorcycles with the intention of speeding.

Speeding is a by-product.
+1
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #2219
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,524
Quote:
I know speeding is against the law yadda yadda, but who buys or rides a motorcycle without any intention of speeding?
I hope you never buy a gun.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 AM   #2220
henshao
Bained

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I hope you never buy a gun.
Valiant effort to open that can of worms!