Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #2296
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Hmm, if he was speeding....and you weren't...how come you still managed to end up "several cars ahead of him"?
Heavy-ish traffic. Speed limit is 45, traffic was moving at about 35. 2 lanes, sometimes one lane would move ahead while the other stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc506 View Post
That really is you in your avatar, isn't it!

Surely it can't be too difficult for you to comprehend that a vehicle travelling at (say) the 50mph speed limit constantly will travel further than one travelling at 40mph for most of the time, and then short spurts of 60mph occasionally?
And adding to that, he used the turning lanes to pass traffic.
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #2297
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Since some of y'all already think I'm a bitch/douche...

Stupid woman driving a BMW stopping suddenly in the left lane to make a left turn when there's a perfectly good left turn lane... hard braking, not sure if guy behind me was going to stop in time (he almost hit her), swerve onto the dotted white line because that was my only escape, roll on the throttle to get past the possible carnage that was about to happen.

My first experience lane splitting. Not real happy about it. Luckily the guy that was to my right and slightly behind me saw what was happening and went right and slowed to give me some room.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #2298
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc506 View Post
That really is you in your avatar, isn't it!

Surely it can't be too difficult for you to comprehend that a vehicle travelling at (say) the 50mph speed limit constantly will travel further than one travelling at 40mph for most of the time, and then short spurts of 60mph occasionally?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Heavy-ish traffic. Speed limit is 45, traffic was moving at about 35. 2 lanes, sometimes one lane would move ahead while the other stopped.

And adding to that, he used the turning lanes to pass traffic.
So who was constantly doing 50 and who was spurting? because now is sounds like the person driving at an erratic speed, and in a self confessed erratic manner, was SxyRdr...whilst the other rider was the one doing the illegal over-takes.

My point being, other than having some fun at Sxy's expense, is that there's always two sides to a story and, with very rare exception, we only ever hear one side of that story here.

This time around, having read Sxy's account, it sounded to me, and I think, to others, as though she spotted another bike coming up on her 6 and started, for no justifiable reason, to try to stay ahead of him/her (rather than take the clearly safer option and do nothing) and then posted about how bad that other rider's behaviour whilst clearly implying her own was above reproach when it very obviously wasn't.

I'm not defending the other rider's actions, but I wasn't there and we've only Sxy's word to take for what that other rider did, or didn't do, whilst it's her own words that damn her. One account is hearsay, the other's a confession - but on the plus side, they're good for the soul. And fuck-ups (assuming you survive) make you a better rider, if you can learn from them.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 AM   #2299
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,302
Quote:
Friday afternoon, leaving Reston, VA, to head to Manassas, VA, to teach my BRC class. Was on the CBR1kRR and because I had work stuff and classroom stuff, I had my huge tank bag and my tail pack stuffed with... stuff. I was just tooling along with the flow of traffic.

Some stereotypical DC area sport bike rider added to the negative stereotypes of sport bike riders in the area by busting ass just so he could ride with me. Looked to be an R6, headlight disconnect and his "race numbers" prominently displayed on the bike. Just seeing what he was doing behind me, I decided I wanted nothing to do with it. So, while not being an ass about it, I started trying to get around traffic to get away from him. At one point, we were in the right lane with a couple of cars separating us, doing about 50 mph. Right turn lane opens up and I hear/see him downshift and dive into the turning lane, shooting up the right side, passing both cars and then coming back into the lane just off my right shoulder.

F this.

Dove to the left where there was only room for me unless he wanted to add to his already high level of douchebaggeriness (and it wouldn't have surprised me if he had) and ended up finally getting several cars ahead of him.
Sorry about that, saw your personalized plate and had to get a better look to see if it was true...

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #2300
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So who was constantly doing 50 and who was spurting?
Let me dumb it down for you:
Lots of traffic.
Moving 35ish on average.
Sometimes one lane moves faster than the other.
I was anywhere between 25 mph and 45 mph (speed limit) depending upon other traffic's ability to move.
I made legal/safe lane changes.

Other rider was riding illegally/recklessly weaving in/out of traffic and using turning lanes to pass vehicles.

Quote:
there's always two sides to a story and, with very rare exception, we only ever hear one side of that story here.
Turn around is fair play... it's "there are two sides"....

Yes, you're right (see, proper spelling this time ), there are two sides. But, seeing someone riding like an trying to catch up to me in heavy-ish traffic.... yeah, I don't want to ride with you... period. I don't want to be associated with you... period. I don't want to be anywhere near you. Clear? He made the choice to ride the way he did. I didn't force him to.

I'll never understand why someone would want to ride right next to a stranger. For all he knew, I could've been a complete newb who would've crashed into him at the next stop light. If I don't know you or your riding style, I give you plenty of room to make your mistakes in.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #2301
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Sorry about that, saw your personalized plate and had to get a better look to see if it was true...

Yep, happens all the time.

Petite, Asian female on a liter super sport. So I guess it was my fault for enticing him to ride recklessly then.

It is interesting how many females I get coming through my BRC classes... but then I see so few females out on the road.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #2302
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Lots of traffic.
Moving 35ish on average.
I was anywhere between 25 mph and 45 mph (speed limit) depending upon other traffic's ability to move.

Other rider was riding illegally/recklessly weaving in/out of traffic and using turning lanes to pass vehicles.

Yes, you're right (see, proper spelling this time ), there are two sides. But, seeing someone riding like an trying to catch up to me in heavy-ish traffic.... yeah, I don't want to ride with you... period. I don't want to be associated with you... period. I don't want to be anywhere near you. Clear? He made the choice to ride the way he did. I didn't force him to.

I'll never understand why someone would want to ride right next to a stranger. For all he knew, I could've been a complete newb who would've crashed into him at the next stop light. If I don't know you or your riding style, I give you plenty of room to make your mistakes in.
Bugger! Thanks
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #2303
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Let me dumb it down for you...
Don't feed the troll, he gets off on that. Just put him on "Ignore" like so many of us have done.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #2304
Merckx the Cannibal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by matkal View Post
Now THAT'S funny!
Ha ha! Yes, it is!

You guys ... smh
Merckx the Cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #2305
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
Don't feed the troll, he gets off on that. Just put him on "Ignore" like so many of us have done.
Zzzzz. Some of you are way too sensitive to be on the interweb.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #2306
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:

Yep, happens all the time.

Petite, Asian female on a liter super sport. So I guess it was my fault for enticing him to ride recklessly then.

It is interesting how many females I get coming through my BRC classes... but then I see so few females out on the road.
I always recommend to people they learn to ride at a MSF style course before they ever get a bike; allows some people to figure out riding is definitely not for them, drop someone else's bike, et cetera.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM   #2307
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,198
Think of it like this: the basement is the gloves off, drunken, loud party.

The rest is supposed to be semi-polite.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #2308
pinocono
Husky Dü

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Zzzzz. Some of you are way too sensitive to be on the interweb.
And you're just like a BSC bitch that's always got to have the last word on EVERYTHING! My gawd, do you ever step away from the keyboard?
pinocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #2309
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
Lots of traffic.
Moving 35ish on average.

Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #2310
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Lots of traffic.
Moving 35ish on average.

Other rider was riding illegally/recklessly weaving in/out of traffic and using turning lanes to pass vehicles...
If it takes 3 or 4 attempts to explain why your commuting experience was worth sharing, it probably wasn't. NBD telling it once but responding to CatWinkle baiting you was just plain dumb.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote