Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #2401
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
Here's a few seconds from this evening's commute. I don't see that sort of pass often, and it entertained me.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:09 AM   #2402
EmBeeZedEx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I normally take seattle's alaska way viaduct home. sort of a flyover bypass of downtown right over the top of the waterfront. Since its seafair this week traffic is a snarl so I decided to juke off and mob around some industrial area dirt and then crawl at about the same slow pace through downtown but at least I'd be in the shade of the buildings. Definitely some interesting things to see, Navy wandering around in their crackerjacks, asian tourists in the dead center of intersections taking pictures of eachother, a few V-22 Osprey thumping around overhead.

EmBeeZedEx screwed with this post 08-02-2014 at 03:33 AM
EmBeeZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:08 AM   #2403
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
They just don't care and feel entitled to it. Funny thing is, a Prius gets zero mpg while they sit stopped in traffic and I lanesplit past. If they actually really cared about the environment they would all be on motorcycles!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
To be fair the prius does use stop start. I don't know how long it takes to kick in but the gas engine shuts down when not moving.

I do wish lane splitting was 50 state legal. I do it on occasion here in Texas and did it a ton when riding out in L.A.
texag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #2404
steve68steve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
Here's a few seconds from this evening's commute. I don't see that sort of pass often, and it entertained me.
What am I missing here, the overtake by the car on the right?

In PA, you do MOST of your passing on the right, because the herd of drivers with no head in the game is stacked up in the "fast" lane.... despite that being against the law.

'12 Glee
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:13 AM   #2405
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post

In PA, you do MOST of your passing on the right, because the herd of drivers with no head in the game is stacked up in the "fast" lane.... despite that being against the law.
There was a dark colored car passing left lane traffic using the left shoulder.
texag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #2406
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post

I'm with you, I can't see it.

I will say that the poster appears to be way over to the left in his lane though. Seems strange....odd. Not fun.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #2407
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I'm with you, I can't see it.

I will say that the poster appears to be way over to the left in his lane though. Seems strange....odd. Not fun.
Re-watch the video and take a look at the left shoulder a few cars ahead of the rider. Someone uses the shoulder to pass the left lane traffic.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #2408
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Re-watch the video and take a look at the left shoulder a few cars ahead of the rider. Someone uses the shoulder to pass the left lane traffic.
I see it now, thanks. I was looking for something a tad more dramatic than that. Trees, woods etc.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #2409
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
If he does that often, I'll bet he gets flat tires. Lots of trash on the shouler.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #2410
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
Not to totally derail into Prius-bashing, but they are overall more harmful to the environment than just mileage. The lifetime waste stream is quite large.

This is not mine, but it's great:

“Muscle Cars vs. Hybrids: A Guide to Saving the Planet”

"Every “Earth-conscious” environmentalist knows that to own a hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, is to have arrived at environmental enlightenment. Or do they? You see, there is a common misconception out there, no doubt perpetuated by the hybrid technology industry, that owning a $30,000 hybrid car will help “save” the planet through a reduced consumption of fossil fuels and “save” you money on fuel in the process. As if spending $30,000 could actually “save” you anything, least of all the heart ache of handing over your $500 monthly payment to the bank instead of to the gas station. Sure, your shiny new silver robot car will cost you less every time you do go to the gas station. And you will go there less often. But even only spending $30 every 400 miles will not offset the fact that you’re spending $500 per month for the privilege to do so.
But, no, you say, it’s not about saving money; it’s about saving the planet! Oh, “the planet”. I see. Well tell me then, what does “the planet” plan to do with the toxic battery of your shiny new hybrid once you are finished using it? It is a little acknowledged fact that the nickel mining required to manufacture the battery for your “environmentally conscious” car, is actually detrimental to the very environment you propose to save with its use. This is not only due to the extremely earth-destructive process of mining itself, but also due to the difficulty of recycling such toxic substances at the end of their shelf-life. You will, in essence, be trading a little petroleum consumption for the much greater evil of eternal toxic landfill cancer-causing sludge.
But, no, you claim. You will own your hybrid forever, and by the end of forever some clever person will have found a way to more effectively recycle the environmentally toxic battery that propels your “earth-conscious” car. No, you won’t. Don’t kid yourself. You’re an American, and you will own your car for an average of four years. Then you will move on to whatever else is bright, shiny and new, compelled to do so by the very same automotive industry that got you into that bright shiny new hybrid to begin with.
Assuming, that is, that you get that far with your hybrid. Because, God forbid you should get into an accident while driving that golf cart over five miles per hour. The very same ultra-lightweight nature of your hybrid, which contributed to that ultra-light gas consumption, will crumple like a recycled can of Coke at even the slightest of impacts. An impact, which frankly, you can’t afford. Assuming you survive your five mile per hour brush with death, the mechanical implications of such an impact will surely bankrupt you. If you’ve ever peeked under the hood of a hybrid then you already know there is a giant piece of plastic preventing you from viewing any of the cars mechanical components. The hybrid engine isn’t really an engine at all, not in the traditional sense of simple carbon combustion, anyway. No, the hybrid’s engine is really just a giant anti-social computer that doesn’t want you touching it in the first place. Only highly specialized hybrid technicians can poke their highly specialized tools into the complex computer components of the hybrid engine. Laymen need NOT apply. So be prepared to take out that second mortgage because repairs are NOT gonna be cheap! But, you say, there is a warranty and all of that will be covered. Perhaps...for a little while.
But let me just reiterate that you will be driving the automotive equivalent of a golf cart. And you will be looking less than cool, sneaking up on deaf old ladies in grocery store parking lots with your silent tin can. And how will you feel when you cause some elderly person’s cardiac arrest by arriving noiselessly behind them and startling the life right out of them with your futuristic non-car? I bet you didn’t think about that, did you!
For all those would-be environmentalists who are now beginning to see the light, fear not. I have a solution for you: the muscle car. You may think you have misread that last line, because muscle cars, as everyone knows are “gas-guzzlers”, and thus not an environmentally conscious choice. You have not misread. Muscle cars are, in fact, the most over-looked friends of the environmental movement.
Environmentalists, as everyone knows, are often fond of recycling. Buying a car that has been used and re-used since at least the 1970’s is, in fact, the ultimate form of recycling! And you can find a recycled muscle car for a fraction of the cost of a brand-new, environmentally unfriendly hybrid. It is, in fact, a return to the moral fortitude of a bygone era. You work, you save, and you buy what you can afford. You eliminate the modern day “buy now, pay later...with 18.24% APR” mentality that has led to this indebted nation of bank bail-outs in which we find ourselves today.
So, you’ve spent your $3,000-$12,000 (cost and quality vary greatly) on your fire-engine red with black racing stripes, ’70 Chevelle SS, with a rebuilt 402 big block hydraulic roller motor. You own it. It belongs to you, not to the bank. So climb in, take in the deep and satisfied breath of independence. You have just taken your first important step toward saving the planet. You have bucked the trend of buy now, buy new, and pay later. You have recycled not just an American classic; you have recycled the American dream! God-bless you, you patriot...I mean, environmentalist.
Now, you will have to fuel this fine piece of American craftsmanship, and I’m not going to lie to you, this will cost you. If you are truly dedicated to the environmental movement, than this is a good thing. The sizeable amount you will have to spend on gas will no doubt keep you off of the road and further protecting the environment from hazardous emissions. You will simply cut back, way back, on your driving. I recommend this. At about $45 per 180 miles, you will probably realize what a frivolous driver you once were, before you joined the environmentalists’ movement. There were probably a lot of unnecessary places to which you were driving. You can now cease all of those superfluous visits to your mother-in-laws house. Your significant other will understand. It’s for the environment.
The hybrid’s compact nature, no doubt, meant several trips to the grocery store per week. Now, with trunk space that would impress even the Mafia, you can cut your grocery outings to perhaps once every two weeks. You can finally cleanse yourself of your earth-killing addiction to such follies as “fresh” produce. The countless gallons of petroleum required to ship such luxuries from the hands of child laborers in South America all the way to your greedy face, are now saved. The environment thanks you.
And every time you slide down into your earth-mobile, you can rest easy. While you are thoughtfully protecting the planet, your muscle car will be protecting you. Your muscle car is built of solid steel, with solid craftsmanship, and will encase you within its protective womb of chrome and iron every time you venture out. Should you happen to be involved in some kind of collision, do not be surprised when someone else has to inform you of this after the fact. You will not have noticed if someone driving a plastic Prius has rear-ended you on the highway at 60mph, as the impact will have been absorbed entirely by the Prius’ collapsible, plastic design. Where-as the Prius and its callously non-environmentally aware occupant will no doubt have been obliterated, you will be hard-pressed to locate even so much as a scratch on your shiny chrome bumper.
The mechanics of the muscle car will also fill your environmental soul with joy. When constructing this masterpiece of engineering, real people used real parts to do so. As this was before the invention of computers (and subsequent downfall of society), in a time when mere mortals could still perform the necessary adjustments in order to keep an automobile in good working order. Lift the hood, look inside, and try not to be too surprised when you see that this car contains an actual combustion engine. It does not repel your lay-person hands with computerized mumbo-jumbo, but instead invites them in to feel around. Now, I suppose I should have prefaced this by saying that automotive mechanics are by no means simple. But with some instruction and practice, and of course the “can do” attitude that built this great nation, these things are easily within your grasp. And the burgeoning environmentalist within you can sleep soundly at night knowing that none of these cars’ parts and pieces were produced at the hands of over-seas child laborers.
All that aside, I must now mention the “cool” factor. In a muscle car, you are large and in charge. You are solid, yet thrifty; shiny and beautiful to behold, yet low impact on the environment. You are loud and powerful. The whole neighborhood can hear how much you love the planet in the roar of your recycled, rebuilt big block engine. A boisterous and proud statement to the world that you are pro-earth! You are classic, yet forward thinking. You are an environmentalist!
And one last word to those backwards minded hybrid pushers that still do not believe the gospel of the muscle car revolution. When you’re coasting around silently on your environment-killing battery-propelled car, spending thousands just for the privilege, hoping and praying you don’t get in an accident going over 5mph, while smiling your smug smile, with your moral superiority complex, just think, “Foolish gas-guzzlers. When will they learn?,” and kindly coast out of the way, there’s a muscle car comin’ through."

I worked at a Toyota dealer when they came out, and there was a huge tax incentive, like $7500, to buy one.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #2411
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
...Regarding their cars more like a transportation appliance vs a motor vehicle they tend to lack any interest in the art and discipline of good driving skills...
Way too many drivers like this of all stripes. Seems like too few ever want to be bothered to learn the craft of driving.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #2412
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by texag10 View Post
...As the car full of college kids home from school exit the corner, they drift almost completely into oncoming traffic...
I have a friend who was hit like this in his Toyota FJ, even after going all the way into the ditch to avoid it. Pushed the front-left wheel back hard enough that it crushed his left foot when it folded the floorboard. The kid in the Honda was lucky to have survived. There was nothing left of the front of that car.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #2413
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 724
Well. I had a CLOSE call with a cage on my way to work yesterday.

There's a half mile of 2 lane straight away, slight hill in the middle, a stop light, and then the I-65 on ramp. Now, this light takes annoyingly long to trigger, so much so that it's quicker to go through the corner gas station's parking lot, wait for cross traffic to clear to make a left and then turn right to continue on. So naturally, when I see a green light and I'm close to it, I try and make it.

This is where I went wrong. I take off and hold about 65-70mph, extending the on ramp a bit. All is going well, but there seems to be a car just sitting in the right lane. OK, they aren't moving, brake lights on, all is fine. The light is holding green and I'm still on my way. About a half block from the intersection, I see a SECOND car in front of the first driving no more than 2mph and starting to make a left turn. From the very right edge of the right lane. I don't know if they were being cautious because they couldn't quite see what was coming, or it they were old and blind and couldn't see anything. I do know I'm glad they were going so absolutely goddamned slow and left me three feet to weave in front of them and dodge back right to keep on the road.

Time to slow down a bit and once again lower my expectations of other drivers. If only I had a go-pro on, you all could shit your pants with me.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #2414
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by texag10 View Post
There was a dark colored car passing left lane traffic using the left shoulder.
Yeah he makes two passes on the shoulder in the video. Larger and clearer viewed on youtube I think. Not the most exciting clip, but it is something I don't see every day.

A few minutes later I split past him in the 1.5 lane (between #1 & #2 lanes) and he gave me lots of room.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #2415
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
Well. I had a CLOSE call with a cage on my way to work yesterday.

There's a half mile of 2 lane straight away, slight hill in the middle, a stop light, and then the I-65 on ramp. Now, this light takes annoyingly long to trigger, so much so that it's quicker to go through the corner gas station's parking lot, wait for cross traffic to clear to make a left and then turn right to continue on. So naturally, when I see a green light and I'm close to it, I try and make it.

This is where I went wrong. I take off and hold about 65-70mph, extending the on ramp a bit. All is going well, but there seems to be a car just sitting in the right lane. OK, they aren't moving, brake lights on, all is fine. The light is holding green and I'm still on my way. About a half block from the intersection, I see a SECOND car in front of the first driving no more than 2mph and starting to make a left turn. From the very right edge of the right lane. I don't know if they were being cautious because they couldn't quite see what was coming, or it they were old and blind and couldn't see anything. I do know I'm glad they were going so absolutely goddamned slow and left me three feet to weave in front of them and dodge back right to keep on the road.

Time to slow down a bit and once again lower my expectations of other drivers. If only I had a go-pro on, you all could shit your pants with me.
I have no idea what this means in the context of the story seeing as you are not at the ramp yet.

Once I throw that red herring out it becomes clear that someone traveling the same direction as you, tried to turn left in front of you, from the right lane. Was your spidey-sense tingling when you saw them sitting at a green light standing still?
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote