Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #2416
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
Well. I had a CLOSE call with a cage on my way to work yesterday.

There's a half mile of 2 lane straight away, slight hill in the middle, a stop light, and then the I-65 on ramp. Now, this light takes annoyingly long to trigger, so much so that it's quicker to go through the corner gas station's parking lot, wait for cross traffic to clear to make a left and then turn right to continue on. So naturally, when I see a green light and I'm close to it, I try and make it.

This is where I went wrong. I take off and hold about 65-70mph, extending the on ramp a bit. All is going well, but there seems to be a car just sitting in the right lane. OK, they aren't moving, brake lights on, all is fine. The light is holding green and I'm still on my way. About a half block from the intersection, I see a SECOND car in front of the first driving no more than 2mph and starting to make a left turn. From the very right edge of the right lane. I don't know if they were being cautious because they couldn't quite see what was coming, or it they were old and blind and couldn't see anything. I do know I'm glad they were going so absolutely goddamned slow and left me three feet to weave in front of them and dodge back right to keep on the road.

Time to slow down a bit and once again lower my expectations of other drivers. If only I had a go-pro on, you all could shit your pants with me.
Weird. What's the speed limit on that road?
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #2417
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
I know we were all beginners at some point....however the other morning....I had to shake my head because some should stay off the road during rush hour until they have a few skills and purchase a bike that fit their skill level. 900lb touring bike might not be the best choice for a beginner.

I was behind this guy on a full dresser....only nudged the speed limit a few times but what really got me was his cornering skill or lack there of....Every right turn he hit the center line and every left he was on the fog line....half the time he wobbled into the corners.....it was painful to watch and even more so to be stuck behind. I'm wonder if this is the same guy that had a train of cars stuck behind him the other day that I posted about...I was to far back that day to see the bike clearly.

I believe there are 3 kinds of people in the world..

Those that can ride a bike naturally with little instruction ( they just get it)

Those that can be taught to ride with the same level of skill...

and those that should never get on two wheels....
Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #2418
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Not commuting, but somewhat related to the above post...

Student in class this weekend says he has a Goldwing. I'm not sure why he was in the class as I was TCLOCing the training bikes and missed class introductions.

Video showing a blind curve. He says "That's a flat curve!" Other instructor asks "So?" GW guy says "It's flat!!! You can't lean on a flat road!"
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #2419
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Video showing a blind curve. He says "That's a flat curve!" Other instructor asks "So?" GW guy says "It's flat!!! You can't lean on a flat road!"
It's true. The only thing left to do if you come up on a flat road with a bend in it is give your gremlin bell a little jingle for luck and then lay 'er down. Happens all the time. Somebody oughta do something about those flat curves.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #2420
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,943
Had a driver of a Dodge Durango with New Mexico plates cut me off.

Heading East on Market here in downtown San Antonio. Four lane wide one-way street. I'm in the far left lane, she's in the far right lane.

She decided she just needed to be in the parking lot of the restaurant I was going to....so she turns left from the far right lane to come across the other three lanes of traffic to get to the entrance. Ninety degrees to oncoming traffic.

The car in the second lane from the right managed to swerve around the back of her vehicle, narrowly avoiding impact. Horn and screaming tires as they brake hard.

The only reason I didn't T-bone the idiot was because I was already slowed down and getting ready to turn left into the same parking lot. Hard on the brakes and horn, maybe a foot from the side of her vehicle as I stop.

She never even glanced up from the cellphone conversation she was having as she passed by in front of me.

Then after having parked she had the nerve to glare at me as I walked past to the entrance of the restaurant, while she was still gabbing on her phone.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #2421
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Had a driver of a Dodge Durango with New Mexico plates cut me off.

Heading East on Market here in downtown San Antonio. Four lane wide one-way street. I'm in the far left lane, she's in the far right lane.

She decided she just needed to be in the parking lot of the restaurant I was going to....so she turns left from the far right lane to come across the other three lanes of traffic to get to the entrance. Ninety degrees to oncoming traffic.

The car in the second lane from the right managed to swerve around the back of her vehicle, narrowly avoiding impact. Horn and screaming tires as they brake hard.

The only reason I didn't T-bone the idiot was because I was already slowed down and getting ready to turn left into the same parking lot. Hard on the brakes and horn, maybe a foot from the side of her vehicle as I stop.

She never even glanced up from the cellphone conversation she was having as she passed by in front of me.

Then after having parked she had the nerve to glare at me as I walked past to the entrance of the restaurant, while she was still gabbing on her phone.
I would have had a few choice words for her...........
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #2422
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post

Quite the missed opportunity to let her know what happened and how you felt about it.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #2423
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Quite the missed opportunity to let her know what happened and how you felt about it.
Or publicly humiliate her. Sometimes calling people out like that in public for others to see helps. Loudly yelling "Hang up the phone and drive" when others can hear/see works more often than not.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #2424
Camarodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Should have given her the bird, and then watch for her to come in the restaurant, and catch the look on her face when she sees you again
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:06 AM   #2425
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
I have no idea what this means in the context of the story seeing as you are not at the ramp yet.

Once I throw that red herring out it becomes clear that someone traveling the same direction as you, tried to turn left in front of you, from the right lane. Was your spidey-sense tingling when you saw them sitting at a green light standing still?
The off ramp was a half mile back, there is a stretch of road, another off ramp, a traffic light, and then the official "on ramp" we all know. One direction, 2 lane road. There's a nice hump to come over that blocks the view of the intersection until you're at that second off ramp. When I saw the light was green I sped up to catch it. If that light weren't there, it would be a long straight away and considered part of the on ramp.

See, I only saw the latter car sitting there. The front car was well invisible until I was a block away. People do weird things, they text at lights, they try to decide where to go, they could have been waiting on some car in front of them to turn, or just be off to an incredibly slow start from the light. There is a road that continues straight in front of the right lane, the crossroad, and the on ramp directly in front of the left lane. Shame on me for assuming, but any reasonable driver who knew where they were going would have chosen the left lane for an activity that would impede my progress.

As per the speed limit, there isn't one posted for that section of road. It's really just an enabler for the on/off ramps, but I would guess they'd post it at 35 because it's so short.

Here's a map centered at the intersection of debate. http://goo.gl/maps/17f09 Arthur and Warnock

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.

riverflow screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 04:15 AM
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #2426
SxyRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Neither strange, nor odd... and definitely not fun.

I saw this on my way in this morning moments after it happened.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...269967771.html

It's a 4 way stop intersection. Someone had to have run a stop sign. The bike was mangled, rider on the ground not moving. Police officer who just happened to be there (there's a training center a couple of miles away) was pulling on gloves and leaning over the downed rider.

I feel ill.

ETA: Pics of the crash. It appears to be a Buell.
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2014...road/13613609/

SxyRdr screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 09:34 AM
SxyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #2427
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post

As per the speed limit, there isn't one posted for that section of road. It's really just an enabler for the on/off ramps, but I would guess they'd post it at 35 because it's so short.

Here's a map centered at the intersection of debate. http://goo.gl/maps/17f09 Arthur and Warnock
I think his point was that perhaps you were going a little fast for the situation, as you discovered. We've all done this. Almost every time I decide 'fuck it' and try to squirt around a dumb situation it ends up being a very bad idea. Live and learn, emphasis on learn.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #2428
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
I think his point was that perhaps you were going a little fast for the situation, as you discovered. We've all done this. Almost every time I decide 'fuck it' and try to squirt around a dumb situation it ends up being a very bad idea. Live and learn, emphasis on learn.
And on live. If that stops, so does the learning.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #2429
aldend123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
I accidentally scared a jogger the other day and I feel pretty bad about it. A slight, but momentarily blind turn (if you can call it that) in the road where it narrows forces a tight line or some strong, quick correction in order to not run wide in to the on coming lane. So I cut it close at the bend, expecting to not be close when I came out the other side.

The jogger was after the bend, where I would have distanced myself from the edge based on the line I had. But as soon as we both saw each other, he jerked towards the bushes. I let it out wide to try and mitigate the blast of wind (I wasn't exactly going slow), and raised my hand in the air hoping it would be accepted as an apology. But something tells me I made some bad public relations.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #2430
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
I accidentally scared a jogger the other day and I feel pretty bad about it. A slight, but momentarily blind turn (if you can call it that) in the road where it narrows forces a tight line or some strong, quick correction in order to not run wide in to the on coming lane. So I cut it close at the bend, expecting to not be close when I came out the other side.

The jogger was after the bend, where I would have distanced myself from the edge based on the line I had. But as soon as we both saw each other, he jerked towards the bushes. I let it out wide to try and mitigate the blast of wind (I wasn't exactly going slow), and raised my hand in the air hoping it would be accepted as an apology. But something tells me I made some bad public relations.
If you were going so fast into a blind corner that you could not avoid getting too close to a jogger, you should consider yourself bloody lucky it wasn't a child, dog, parked vehicle, etc. Also you should slow the f***k down!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote