Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #2506
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
if LA is mild by these standards, I have no desire to even go to Mexico City.....

Im surprised to not see Saigon on there. When I was there I saw some pretty apocalyptic traffic.

Saigon wasn't part of the survey.

"The following 20 cities were picked for the survey from among the world’s top 65, in terms of size and economic activity:

Bangalore, Beijing, Buenos Aires, Chicago, Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, Madrid, Mexico City, Milan, Montreal, Moscow, Nairobi, New Delhi, New York City, Paris, Shenzhen, Singapore, Stockholm, and Toronto."

Here is the link to the .pdf version of the study
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #2507
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting
In Dallas, which doesn't register on the scale, but should, the problem lies in how stupidly big this city is. Just about everybody I know commutes 30-75 miles ONE WAY for work.

As if that wasn't enough, once you get in the wreck, over 25% of the drivers here DON'T have insurance.

thats a pretty long as way to commute.... dont care where you are and from the sounds of it, most of the cities in the US are roughly the same as far as the drivers' credentials!

dont forget that LA has a non-deportation policy because what was happening was nobody was calling the cops, ever, for fear of deportation so crime was skyrocketing.....I wonder if they have they elsewhere? probably, San Diego for sure

whenever I see a old POS toyota or datsun with dents all over man.... I keep as far away from it as i can
Eatpasta is right- LA traffic sucks 24/7, and then it rains...
I always hated Dallas traffic, whether in a cage or on a bike. Tarrant county, with the exception of 183 west to Loop 820, is at least tolerable in most places. That's changing tho, as the population grows.
And UnsureFooting is right about the un-insured drivers in Dallas. When I first moved to the MetroMess, you didn't even need insurance unless the place you financed your vehicle required it- they were practically giving away policies. It didn't get any better when they finally required insurance and the price of the policies sure shot up in a hurry. Too bad they never figured out how to enforce the requirement effectively.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #2508
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
Eatpasta is right- LA traffic sucks 24/7, and then it rains...
I always hated Dallas traffic, whether in a cage or on a bike. Tarrant county, with the exception of 183 west to Loop 820, is at least tolerable in most places. That's changing tho, as the population grows.
And UnsureFooting is right about the un-insured drivers in Dallas. When I first moved to the MetroMess, you didn't even need insurance unless the place you financed your vehicle required it- they were practically giving away policies. It didn't get any better when they finally required insurance and the price of the policies sure shot up in a hurry. Too bad they never figured out how to enforce the requirement effectively.
Now they're installing toll based express lanes along 183 from 820 to 35.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #2509
dtaylor
/.

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
Neither strange, nor odd... and definitely not fun.

I saw this on my way in this morning moments after it happened.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...269967771.html

It's a 4 way stop intersection. Someone had to have run a stop sign. The bike was mangled, rider on the ground not moving. Police officer who just happened to be there (there's a training center a couple of miles away) was pulling on gloves and leaning over the downed rider.

I feel ill.

ETA: Pics of the crash. It appears to be a Buell.
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2014...road/13613609/
The rider's name is Jason Banton, and he had posted a fair bit on BadWeb; not sure if Jason was on ADVrider.

Whether it was rider error or other misfortune, it is reported that the driver of the truck was found to be not at fault.

A little more about Jason here:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1407375422
dtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #2510
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 587
As someone who learned to ride in the DC metro area I never understand why people think the traffic is so bad here. I must be like a snapping turtle in a swamp wondering "why doesn't anyone ever swim here, water's great!"

I mean, seriously, people do all kinds ignorant shit on every ride I have been on for years and I can't even remember these incidents when I get home. Changing lanes into me, while we are both turning left at an intersection, so they can dive across multiple lanes to get to the interstate. Well, I was already expecting him to do that, so 30 seconds later the water is off the turtle's back. Taking an exit ramp at night, hit something slick in the dark and the ass kicks out . Well, steer into the skid; not everything you bite into is food Old lady turns left in front of me, then realizing her mistake, exponentially compounds it by stopping dead in my path. I am very upset for not remembering to downshift during my emergency stop My exit's coming up. Sit with my blinker on for at least 3/4 of a mile on the interstate but the SUV next to me apparently intends to sit on my right rear corner for the rest of time. I ease back, he eases back with me. I accelerate, he pulls up to put his door next to me. Well! Let's see what these 1203cc's can do!

Just another day in the swamp, still don't understand why nobody wants to swim here
henshao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #2511
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
As someone who learned to ride in the DC metro area I never understand why people think the traffic is so bad here. I must be like a snapping turtle in a swamp wondering "why doesn't anyone ever swim here, water's great!"

I mean, seriously, people do all kinds ignorant shit on every ride I have been on for years and I can't even remember these incidents when I get home. Changing lanes into me, while we are both turning left at an intersection, so they can dive across multiple lanes to get to the interstate. Well, I was already expecting him to do that, so 30 seconds later the water is off the turtle's back. Taking an exit ramp at night, hit something slick in the dark and the ass kicks out . Well, steer into the skid; not everything you bite into is food Old lady turns left in front of me, then realizing her mistake, exponentially compounds it by stopping dead in my path. I am very upset for not remembering to downshift during my emergency stop My exit's coming up. Sit with my blinker on for at least 3/4 of a mile on the interstate but the SUV next to me apparently intends to sit on my right rear corner for the rest of time. I ease back, he eases back with me. I accelerate, he pulls up to put his door next to me. Well! Let's see what these 1203cc's can do!

Just another day in the swamp, still don't understand why nobody wants to swim here
Awesome story about how awesome you are. Can you post more?
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #2512
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylor View Post
The rider's name is Jason Banton, and he had posted a fair bit on BadWeb; not sure if Jason was on ADVrider.

Whether it was rider error or other misfortune, it is reported that the driver of the truck was found to be not at fault.

A little more about Jason here:

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1407375422
ugh. My prayers go out to his family.
henshao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #2513
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
ugh. My prayers go out to his family.
+1

I didn't realise, when I saw the pictures, that the rider had died.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #2514
LudemJo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Awesome story about how awesome you are. Can you post more?
Now I see why you have the reputation you have...

Really uncalled for.
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:47 AM   #2515
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudemJo View Post
Now I see why you have the reputation you have...

Really uncalled for.
Well done for taking me down a peg or two on behalf of someone else. Bravo. I'm sure the snapping turtle is very grateful to you.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #2516
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDoktor View Post
Too bad they never figured out how to enforce the requirement effectively.
Some municipalities do. The police department I worked for was a ticket 100% of the time for first offense, 2nd was an impound of your car. I've felt bad about some of the ticket I had to write or people I arrested, but never one of those.
texag10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #2517
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,852
Read the page on BWB and there go a few of my assumptions...

M
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #2518
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Read the page on BWB and there go a few of my assumptions...

M
+1. I think that makes it even worse, that he was a rider who was serious about riding safely and got it on the one time he messed up. Not that it wouldn't also be a sad occasion if he'd been a reckless squid who regularly blew stop signs, but at least then we'd all be able to point at that and think "that couldn't have happened to me."
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 AM   #2519
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by texag10 View Post
Some municipalities do. The police department I worked for was a ticket 100% of the time for first offense, 2nd was an impound of your car. I've felt bad about some of the ticket I had to write or people I arrested, but never one of those.
Too right!!! The sorry number of people with no insurance plus most States' stupidly low minimum coverage (might as well be uninsured if you've only got the mandaory minimum $15K coverage in LA and cause any kind of serious damage or injury) means any responsible motorist is effectively paying for insurance to cover everyone else. I do it but object strongly. Increased enforcement on insurance gets my full support as long as it's directed at those who flout the requirements and accompanied by raising minimum coverages to realiistic levels.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #2520
matkal
Assault Commuter

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:

This.

Helmet laws suck. They interfere with natural selection.

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived,
and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked,
and did bequeath his skin to the roads. And he was a wild ass and an outcast,
and was hated through all the land. And his forehead was branded, and he did be
come a sign and a warning to all the people."
matkal is offline   Reply With Quote