Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2014, 04:56 AM   #2671
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
I tend to check my mirrors before I decide if I should try to make it through yellows.
Yeah, I did check my mirrors. The car that was originally behind me was stopping. The screeching-tires-guy had to have come from the right lane.
k5mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #2672
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Cool2 Oops

@AtomicAlex:

I always loved the separated bike path system whenever I was in Holland.

Better for everyone.

Do the e-bikes ride on the roads there?

@catweasel:

OK, ya got me; fucked up me maths; never been my strong suit.

I was trying to convey 5-10 MPH slower, which would of course be 10-20% slower.

E-bicycles going 40 in a 50 zone, where traffic is usually averaging 55-60, are going to be a PITA.

All the slowest cars having to queue up behind them and eventually pass???

I was aghast at the "snail races" all over the Interstate on a Toronto-Milwaukee trip earlier this month.

The same principle on surface streets?

No thanks.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #2673
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,933
"Snail races", hadn't heard that one.

So this morning, caging it, doing about 65 in the left lane. Limit is 60, most folks run this stretch at 65-70+. I see a guy coming up behind me at well over 70, so I drop into the right lane. The little car I'd just passed doing 55 in the right lane now, with no signal, changes into the left lane and just completely blocks the guy doing 70+, for no reason that I can see. He then gradually speeds up, with the guy on his tail, and they eventually pass me going about 65.... I was now following a semi uphill at 55, waiting for them to pass me.
WTF... he had no reason to do this.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #2674
USMC_Engineer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post

So this morning, caging it, doing about 65 in the left lane. Limit is 60, most folks run this stretch at 65-70+. I see a guy coming up behind me at well over 70, so I drop into the right lane. The little car I'd just passed doing 55 in the right lane now, with no signal, changes into the left lane and just completely blocks the guy doing 70+, for no reason that I can see. He then gradually speeds up, with the guy on his tail, and they eventually pass me going about 65.... I was now following a semi uphill at 55, waiting for them to pass me.
WTF... he had no reason to do this.

1911fan
^^^ these type of pricks are my pet peeve, along with the non signal users. Drives me insane.

I don't want to see any one get hurt but I am just waiting for the day that a couple of our wonderful non signal users random lane changers, one in the far left lane, one in the far right lane randomly decide at the Same time to swing into the center lane and wreck into each other. I would gladly stay on scene and let the cops know what happened.

USMC_Engineer screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 01:53 PM
USMC_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #2675
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

I hate the people that think they have the right to impede or control other drivers. You want to do that, go to the academy and get the badge. You have no more right than I do to be the traffic control prick.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #2676
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
I hate the people that think they have the right to impede or control other drivers. You want to do that, go to the academy and get the badge. You have no more right than I do to be the traffic control prick.

1911fan
Hear, hear

Arrest them for impersonating an officer of the law
Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #2677
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 128
Quote:

1911fan
Amen to that. They are one subcategory of the dopes who want to "race" you just because you're on a bike. Except that they love to get back in front of you after you've passed them and slow down, like they're teaching you a lesson.

Just today I passed a minivan on my commute home that was doing 30 in a 55. I signaled fairly far back, passed pretty leisurely (no traffic) and got back into the right lane. Suddenly the minivan, which is now many car lengths behind me, changes into the left lane, wildly accelerates to pass me (probably about 70-80, given that I was doing 60), gets back into the right lane and slams on the brakes, then goes back to going 30 again. Thankfully we were at my intersection so I just turned right and shook my head.

The funny thing was that her bumper sticker said "Keep Christ in Christmas"
So very christian of her.
1992 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (project) 35,179 miles
Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #2678
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
Rode home today from my vacation in S. Jersey. After making good time up the GSP and the NJ Turnpike, I got off the NJ Turnpike onto Rt. 3W, then needed to exit onto 17N. It's usually a nice little right-left-right curve that everyone takes at more or less 55mph or so, and is pretty fun. As I start to exit I come up fast on what looks like a pretty new sedan (VW Passat, I think...) doing about 25mph through the exit. FL plates. Okay, guy's lost... isn't sure if he should stay left onto 17 or right to the local streets where the exit splits, so I slow down and follow for a few seconds, figuring he'll pick a direction and speed up. Nope. He heads right for the middle of the split in the road until the last second, then drifts towards the left at the last second and continues through the rest of the on ramp at 25. Never speeds up once on 17 (on ramp gets it's own lane), though at least he stays right (of 3). I signal, switch lanes to the middle, and pass. As I go by, I barely see the top of a head above the level of the top of the door with grey hair bent way forward over the wheel, as if he (she?) was hugging it, mouth open. My only thought was "My God! I hope he didn't just drive all the way from Florida!"
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #2679
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Cool2 Lingo

Quote:

1911fan

Hey 1911,

Funny, I thought that was universal; just goes to show.

To be 100% clear, it refers specifically to trucks passing each other w/ a speed differential of 1% or so.

Seems pointless, and causes huge backlog.

I love learning new phrases here on ADV.

My favourite, apparently from Cali: "Flip a bitch."

I use that all the time up here, it really amuses my fellow Canuckleheads.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #2680
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Hey 1911,

To be 100% clear, it refers specifically to trucks passing each other w/ a speed differential of 1% or so.

I had heard that "flip a bitch" was from the Washington, DC area. I live in Southern California and don't hear it. Maybe you meant "Cali, Columbia" instead, as I also rarely hear California as "Cali" here. "SoCal" or "NorCal" maybe... Though... with "snail races" there is also "Race of the Slows" or "Edge of Stopping". The latter is the worst... where the person ahead seems to be always at the edge of stopping... never accelerating and always seems to be wanting to stop at the next "something".
Old 08-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #2681
Benduro
Banned

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Hey 1911,

We definitely say "flip a bitch" in NorCal.
And we call it a "ten-minute truck-pass".
Or a "rolling roadblock"
Benduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #2682
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
"This sign means nothing else than "minimum speed of 30 kph". Exceeding this is legal. Going slower is not. Imagine you are traveling on an older three-lane Autobahn approaching a steep hill. You can expect heavy trucks to slow down while trying to get up. You can also expect more powerful trucks going 52 kph trying to overtake less powerful trucks going 49 kph while you zoom in. We call that situation an elephant race (German: Elefantenrennen)."
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:20 AM   #2683
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
"This sign means nothing else than "minimum speed of 30 kph". Exceeding this is legal. Going slower is not. Imagine you are traveling on an older three-lane Autobahn approaching a steep hill. You can expect heavy trucks to slow down while trying to get up. You can also expect more powerful trucks going 52 kph trying to overtake less powerful trucks going 49 kph while you zoom in. We call that situation an elephant race (German: Elefantenrennen)."

I spent 5 years living in Germany and still use that term to the day in the USA. The only difference is that here in the US, elefantenrennen often happens in the left two lanes. That drives me nuts.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #2684
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I thought "flip a bitch" was universal until I started talking to out of state drivers (and my parents). Definitely a universally understood thing in Norcal. Everyone else seems to pick up on the meaning quickly.

Also, "riding bitch" in a truck. Turns out not everyone calls it that.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #2685
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiba View Post
Amen to that. They are one subcategory of the dopes who want to "race" you just because you're on a bike. Except that they love to get back in front of you after you've passed them and slow down, like they're teaching you a lesson.

Just today I passed a minivan on my commute home that was doing 30 in a 55. I signaled fairly far back, passed pretty leisurely (no traffic) and got back into the right lane. Suddenly the minivan, which is now many car lengths behind me, changes into the left lane, wildly accelerates to pass me (probably about 70-80, given that I was doing 60), gets back into the right lane and slams on the brakes, then goes back to going 30 again. Thankfully we were at my intersection so I just turned right and shook my head.

The funny thing was that her bumper sticker said "Keep Christ in Christmas"
So very christian of her.

Yeah- I wish there was a way to find out what the hell they were thinking. I know asking them is pointless, so maybe Tasering or a good beatdown would work?

1911fan