Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #2776
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
You raise a good point, probably why I'm so cool about letting people merge. I will often deliberately ease back to make sure a tractor trailer can make it.

I'm going to be past all you guys soon enough anyway
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #2777
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
That's the common idea here in Dallas. Here, if you signal a lane change into a good, clear spot, it is normal for the guy behind to accelerate to try and block you from changing lanes.
Which is why I don't signal.

I learned that shit in Chicago.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:59 AM   #2778
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxalicious View Post
Yea, Tomball PD got them a year or two ago, Why they chose Victory over anyone else I don't know.. Unless they were comparing them with the Harley's in which case I understand. Most of the Major cities in Texas are still on Harley except for Austin, They're switching over to BMW's
Tyler has started going with Victory as well. Nice looking bikes actually, and quieter
Old 08-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #2779
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Which is why I don't signal.

I learned that shit in Chicago.
Ahh yes Chi-town, the only place I have ever lived that you needed T-tops to see traffic coming at you. Also the only place that people know what a flash means.

Of course they may move over...or they may just stop in the express lane, but they know what it is.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #2780
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruin View Post
Everyone else is doing it wrong, so you have to do it wrong also?
That's how it works in the good ol' US of A - applies to lane discipline, passing, use of fog lights, use of turn signals, running red lights, probably a few more - all more often done wrong than right (including by traffic police half the time), with the excuse "everyone else does it like that".

I ride/drive to near the end of the merge lane, match speed, find a suitable gap, signal and move over. It's the proper way to do it - that's why the merge lane is as long as it it is, that's what you are SUPPOSED to do. It ain't hard. If someone doesn't like it, I say "f**k em!" they are usually doing it wrong anyway.

The book "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)" is a must-read for anyone interested in this sort of stuff. The prologue is titled: "Why I became a late merger (and why you should be too)"
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 09-01-2014 at 03:10 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #2781
Ben-M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Ben-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #2782
ruin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
That's how it works in the good ol' US of A - applies to lane discipline, passing, use of fog lights, use of turn signals, running red lights, probably a few more - all more often done wrong than right (including by traffic police half the time), with the excuse "everyone else does it like that".

I ride/drive to near the end of the merge lane, match speed, find a suitable gap, signal and move over. It's the proper way to do it - that's why the merge lane is as long as it it is, that's what you are SUPPOSED to do. It ain't hard. If someone doesn't like it, I say "f**k em!" they are usually doing it wrong anyway.
I use all the road when traffic is on the heavy side and zipper like I'm supposed to. When it's light (which is most times, around here) I take whatever gap is most convenient. We have a lot of "old infrastructure" around here which often means no real merge lane. The right lane might become an exit only offramp half a mile down the road, or you may get on and then have to take the next exit in half a mile, which is on the left side..

They're redoing a lot of it in my local area, thankfully.

Quote:
The book "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)" is a must-read for anyone interested in this sort of stuff. The prologue is titled: "Why I became a late merger (and why you should be too)"
Will check it out. If it's available for kindle, done deal.
ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #2783
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruin View Post
I use all the road when traffic is on the heavy side and zipper like I'm supposed to. When it's light (which is most times, around here) I take whatever gap is most convenient.
You get it!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:06 AM   #2784
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I found the jewel route for my commute....(hey that rhymes)

Anyway......the icing on the cake, and wish I had my helmet cam on this morning....

heading down the main road that everyone takes.....the traffic starts to slow and stop do to construction just as I get to my dirt road long-cut.....

twist and take off down the dirt road....didn't hit another car until got to the next main road.....even though its several miles longer, the ride is great, no traffic, beautiful views since most of the route is along a ridge....and I get to work calm instead of aggravated...

Reminds of this Rodney Atkins Song...

Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 AM   #2785
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
You get it!
No, obviously you don't.

If everyone else is zippering, do it.

If everyone else has managed to merge and you haven't 'cause you're 'doing it right' and 'using all the onramp' you're not.

If you really want to start everyone zippering, find a gap in traffic and stay next to it till the end of the onramp. THEN everyone's 'doing it right.'

Till then, y'all are just effing things up worse.

M
Old 09-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #2786
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I found the jewel route for my commute....(hey that rhymes)
Uh.... Where you live, sure. Not where I live, haha!

Seriously though, good find on the traffic-avoiding, no-pout work route (see, THAT rhymes... Lol).
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #2787
pretbek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
find a gap in traffic and stay next to it till the end of the onramp.
Yeah, that's what I do.
Best thing short of a proper zipper merge at the end of the ramp.
It also shows your intention to the still possibly clueless driver making up the back of the gap;
I've had people maintain that gap open for 10 seconds while I was next to the gap, then when they noticed we were getting close to the 2-lanes-into-1-lane point, stomped on the throttle to close the gap.
I move over anyway, slowly but persistently. I can't effing stand that rude, selfish and unhelpful behavior.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:00 PM   #2788
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Got rained on the last 2 days of commuting

First day was in the Stitch, so I show up to work looking like I peed myself. No big deal, I sit in a cube all day and don't really see anybody besides my immediate co-workers.

Today was a light rain and the Kilimanjaro jacket kept me dry underneath. Summer pants are vented so I got a little damp but dried out during the walk from parking to the office.

That kind of cures me of being scared to ride in the rain to work (I never worried about getting caught in the rain heading home). I bought a set of FrogToggs to put on under the stitch for the next rain day.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #2789
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
Yeah, that's what I do.
Best thing short of a proper zipper merge at the end of the ramp.
It also shows your intention to the still possibly clueless driver making up the back of the gap;
I've had people maintain that gap open for 10 seconds while I was next to the gap, then when they noticed we were getting close to the 2-lanes-into-1-lane point, stomped on the throttle to close the gap.
I move over anyway, slowly but persistently. I can't effing stand that rude, selfish and unhelpful behavior.
Yeah, I've had that happen too.

I don't get it, but oh well

My commute was 'interesting' this AM. I was driving the truck 'cause the driver's side wheel is locked up on my Focus. I'm trundling up the road at 55mph and 'crack!'

WTF?!

Wonder what that was?

Then the right front tire started feeling soft. By the time I got to the side of the road, the tire was flopping around like a fish out of water.

Managed to get it changed and I was only 30min late for work.

M
Old 09-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #2790
TravisBickle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I had a fun one tonight. I was riding back from work about 9 pm. It's dark and misty, but not the good kind of mist that beads up on the visor and all you have to do is turn your head to each side for a few seconds to maintain good vision. No a light mist/fog that just clouds things up. I drive past a sheriff doing radar duty in a 35 mph zone; he pulls out and follows me. When we reach a point where there is divided road and 4 lanes he passes me. I'm following at a respectful distance (mostly because I upgraded my headlights and they need to be adjusted to point a little lower) I'm also riding in the middle of the lane behind him to keep my light out of driver side mirror, the road is back to two lanes at this point. He starts to brake, slowly at first and then a little more. I'm watching him wondering if he's about to pull me over and I'm medium on the front brake. All of a sudden a deer carcass comes out from underneath his rear bumper. On a clear night I would have had 2-3 seconds to react; with my visor gummed up from the mist and me paying more attention to him than the road I had less than a second. All I could do was let off the front brake. Luckily, my wrist is fucked right now so I've been riding with almost no pressure on the bars even when braking. I plowed right through the abdomen. The point of my chin fairing section acted like a giant grapefruit spoon and carved out a lovely hunk of giblets and the sound, if recorded would have made great foley for a B grade horror movie as my front wheel pushed through innards like a russian ice breaker, the fairing rode up that thing like a landing craft on the beach at normandy. I didn't think it was so bad until I stopped at the first stop light. There's few words to describe the smell of offal roasting on a header pipe. I damn near vomited in my helmet.
TravisBickle is offline   Reply With Quote