Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #766
nhbubba
Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer: 436
You didn't know? This website is where all the experts at everything hang out.

I only have one question: Were they hot?!
Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #767
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever View Post
You (DAKEZ) live in Portland (or near Portland). Have you ever seen someone make a pass like this in the city? I have been driving here for almost 20 years and I have literally never seen it.
In Salem, it happens to me semi-frequently in residential neighborhoods. when I'm doing 25-30 on streets posted 25-30 that are residential streets which have become shortcuts. I actually like to stay kind of slow, because (at least in my neighborhood) there are lots of kids walking to/from schools and generally oblivious to traffic.

Maybe the driver was from Salem... or you've just been lucky in the past. I'm sure they couldn't believe you were going so slow for no reason.

Moral of the story: most surface streets aren't marked as no-passing zones, so actually (except for any speed issues), it wasn't illegal. Also- people are fuckwits and frequently think it makes a difference in how long it will take them to get somewhere.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #768
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,270
Last Sunday, early morning, riding down I-5 South through Salem, OR. Semi truck in front of me (Swift carriers- warning! Danger Will Robinson!) swerves half way out of right hand lane (of three). Huh... no debris or other reason to go around something. I move to middle lane anyway.

Truck swerves again... again no reason. I move to left lane and expedite getting in front of him. Is driver falling asleep? drunk? having a heart attack?

No. Driver is trying to take a picture of sunrise with his phone.

Dad's a retired truck driver. When he retired, Swift and J.B. Hunt were the lowest paying nation-wide carriers, and they got all the talent they paid so handsomely for. I see things haven't changed.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #769
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
You live in Portland (or near Portland). Have you ever seen someone make a pass like this in the city? I have been driving here for almost 20 years and I have literally never seen it.
I will make a confession. I tend to ride fairly assertively so the likelihood of someone needing to get around me is probably far lower for me that it is for you. I am also one that has an almost compulsive disorder when it come to wanting to know what is going on behind me in traffic so it is extremely rare that I get passed unaware.

For the most part drivers in and around Portland are docile and predictable... But I have seen some real ASSHAT moves even in the City of Roses. Don't let the bastards grind you down. Just smile and wave.

Ride Safe
Ride Well
Ride Often

DAKEZ screwed with this post 05-04-2012 at 10:35 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #770
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
In Salem, it happens to me semi-frequently in residential neighborhoods. when I'm doing 25-30 on streets posted 25-30 that are residential streets which have become shortcuts. I actually like to stay kind of slow, because (at least in my neighborhood) there are lots of kids walking to/from schools and generally oblivious to traffic.

Maybe the driver was from Salem... or you've just been lucky in the past. I'm sure they couldn't believe you were going so slow for no reason.

Moral of the story: most surface streets aren't marked as no-passing zones, so actually (except for any speed issues), it wasn't illegal. Also- people are fuckwits and frequently think it makes a difference in how long it will take them to get somewhere.
Sooner or later they'll have the the vehicle they're passing turn left into a driveway in front of them. What goes around, comes around.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #771
Ugly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:

Keep in mind that this is a city street, not a highway. I have never been passed on a 2-lane street riding or driving around Portland, or even SEEN anyone be passed.
It's happened to me in Portland. Guy stopped in the middle of the road in front of me with a couple kids in the car to look at one of those little pop up carnivals that go up in an empty lot from time to time. Then sat there, stopped in the road. No biggy, no other traffic. Made sure nothing or noone was in front of him. Gave him a short "meep" from my wuss of a horn to let him know someone was behind him. Put on my blinker and went around him. A few lights later he blows past me in the other lane (in the intersection) then continues on normally.

Not sure what was going on in his head. Wasn't trying to run me down or anything. Just odd.
Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #772
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
I will make a confession. I tend to ride fairly assertively so the likelihood of someone needing to get around me is probably far lower for me that it is for you. I am also one that has an almost compulsive disorder when it come to wanting to know what is going on behind me in traffic so it is extremely rare that I get am passed unaware.
I am not a big speeder but I would say that I ride reasonably "assertively" as well -- so someone on my tail is definitely unusual. I'm also extremely observant and I frequently anticipate routine silly moves from cagers... I can often tell when someone is about to pull into traffic from a side street or switch lanes without signaling. Believe me when I say this was really out of the blue... and it's not like I was lollygagging at 5 mph over the limit (ok, 42ish indicated so probably like 38 real speed).
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #773
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 167
Odd Things

I was Riding to Greely Colo. Years ago about 70 mph. on my kawasaki H1 triple . when a pigeon sized bird flew from the right and through! my front spokes, POOF a big white cloud in front of me EEWWW. me stopped picking bloody feathers off my face and chest
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #774
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
They think you're a bicycle dude
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #775
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
SomethingClever, I hear what you're sayin'. I'm a UPS driver as well as a motorcyclist, so I'm always looking all around me and being extremely observant of ALL drivers in sight, front or back. Yet still, sometimes there is that car that came from just the right angle that you couldn't see it that then proceeds to do something totally ridiculous. As far as passing right before a light, I honestly think a high percentage of drivers do not look down the road more than one car length at a time. My UPS truck has a governor, so I get passed a lot while heading out to my route, and I usually get a big laugh out of the fools who pass with nowhere to go and no way to get around what's in front of them. Usually it's funny because if they had bothered to read the flow of traffic they could have been gone up the road but instead end up getting passed by the UPS guy in the truck with a governor on it.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #776
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
I did have a Honda Black Bird pass me at what must have been 150mph. I was on my Dakar and bouncing it off the rev limiter so I was doing 105mph when he passed me. I saw him coming but he did get to me and passed me much sooner than I was anticipating.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #777
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I did have a Honda Black Bird pass me at what must have been 150mph. I was on my Dakar and bouncing it off the rev limiter so I was doing 105mph when he passed me. I saw him coming but he did get to me and passed me much sooner than I was anticipating.
Musta been on Powell near the Ross Island Bridge.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #778
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister deliberate View Post
I honestly think a high percentage of drivers do not look down the road more than one car length at a time.
+1

I wondered about why they bothered to tell riders about not focusing on the front wheel in the advanced MSF course... but then a buddy who really was begging me to let him ride my ZX-7R blurted out that he thought he wouldn't like it because you couldn't see the front wheel...

So I guess some guys do ride like that.

Quote:
if they had bothered to read the flow of traffic they could have been gone up the road but instead end up getting passed by the UPS guy in the truck with a governor on it.
This is something else ... almost entirely, but not ... It took me a good long while to realize that I was better than average at reading flows of traffic... it only took years of wondering why certain cars or trucks who obviously wanted to get somewhere fast would choose the lane they did / the placement they did, or why my co-workers who drove ambulances seemed to have more trouble than I. Eventually many just let me drive the ambulances 90% of the time.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #779
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
It took me a good long while to realize that I was better than average at reading flows of traffic... it only took years of wondering why certain cars or trucks who obviously wanted to get somewhere fast would choose the lane they did / the placement they did, or why my co-workers who drove ambulances seemed to have more trouble than I. Eventually many just let me drive the ambulances 90% of the time.
I can also do this, and it came from riding experience over the years. It transferred from bikes to 4 wheeled vehicles. Oddly enough, there are people who don't like riding in the truck with me. I think it's because they don't yet understand what I'm doing and why I do it. It's just a matter of being observant and being able to process that information and act upon it as necessary. It's known in the military as the OODA loop. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #780
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
My UPS truck has a governor, so I get passed a lot while heading out to my route, and I usually get a big laugh out of the fools who pass with nowhere to go and no way to get around what's in front of them. Usually it's funny because if they had bothered to read the flow of traffic they could have been gone up the road but instead end up getting passed by the UPS guy in the truck with a governor on it.

Over the weekend, I became one of the fools. Out for a ride, heading home. On a two lane road that I hit once every 6 months to a year or so. Lots of vehicles on the road, so when we hit safe passing zones, I start moving up the line of cars. I'm sure all the cars that frequent the area thought I was a moron though. I made it past 3 WHOLE CARS when we hit 10 miles of 45mph no-passing-zone construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingClever
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't on the freeway, or a rural highway. I was in the fuckin' city. People don't pass people in the city here. I called it a two-lane road so maybe you pictured two lanes going the same direction. Not the case. There is one lane going in each direction.

On this particular stretch of road, I don't think their speed, while above the posted limit, was incredibly excessive. It's a wide street with no major intersections. 35 is the speed limit, most people go 40; I'd say 50 is right about the cutoff for unreasonable.
Double line or stripped legal passing zone?
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote