So true.

Why is it always the damn minivans?
ThatOtherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #122
antonac
Commuter

Oddometer: 324
The infuriating...

Today I was on my way into work when some woman slowed down in the left lane of route 3 and was putting on her fucking makeup in the visor mirror. I saw red and laid on my horn (there were people flying by to the right), and she hastily moved into the next available left hand turning lane.

I always thought the image of someone putting on makeup in the rearview or visor while driving was a comical exaggeration. I have seen it now a few dozen times, and I want to curb stomp the driver each time I see it.

Cagers are so selfish and careless it blows my mind. Has it always been like this?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #123
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
I occasionally drive a large diesel pickup for work, and I'm always surprised at how easy it is to get distracted in a cage.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #124
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 687
I pulled up behind a guy who was folding and sorting laundry in his car

And talk about distracting, I saw a woman who was a dead ringer for Kim Jung Il driving the opposite way near my house
Renegade_Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #125
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
I worked in FL a while back, took about a day for me to be glad I didn't bring my motorcycle.
Don't know how you guys ride with those idiots. Damn shame with a year around riding season.
I can deal with 'em because I learned to ride and drive down here.

I stopped being complacent with them after leaving the state for the first time, and realizing how much better drivers in other places were! I had more fun in DC rush hour on a Friday night during a Nationals game than I do riding in rush hour traffic ANY day here. I made more time too.

And the year round riding season isn't all that great considering that we don't have many twisties to ride on :(. And when it's cold we have the large influx of snowbirds.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #126
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
That is something that pisses me off to no end when driving, some asshat parking at/below the speed limit in the left lane.
Worse when he has a buddy to help him out.
My commute is done in my company truck, and 6K + pounds of Silverado HD is usually intimidating enough to get them to lead, follow or get the fuck out of the way.

Not sure why these folks are not ticketed, they have to be one of the biggest hazards on the interstate.
Preach it brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonac View Post
The infuriating...

Today I was on my way into work when some woman slowed down in the left lane of route 3 and was putting on her fucking makeup in the visor mirror. I saw red and laid on my horn (there were people flying by to the right), and she hastily moved into the next available left hand turning lane.

I always thought the image of someone putting on makeup in the rearview or visor while driving was a comical exaggeration. I have seen it now a few dozen times, and I want to curb stomp the driver each time I see it.

Cagers are so selfish and careless it blows my mind. Has it always been like this?
Yes. It's just gotten worse for us with minivans and SUVs having dark tinted windows from the factory, the invention of mobile phones and in-car DVD players, and the influx of illegal aliens from countries with no driving laws.

Oh, and I almost forgot: The increasing bilndspots for cagers, as roof pillars have gotten thicker to protect them when they roll over. I raced in the SCCA for 20 years and never once rolled over. But I've seen "small" SUVs roll over in an intersection after an otherwise minor fender-bender. People never cease to amaze me.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #127
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
My place of work is located on a divided, four lane highway (SR7 just south of Marietta, Oh). One morning I noticed a silver pickup following me a reasonable distance back about one mile from work. I was running maybe 50 mph and wondered why the truck didn't go around in the right hand lane. There were no other vehicles to prevent him. He just followed.

As we neared where I had to make a right turn into work I started slowing.....and so did he. 50....45...40...35.... He slowed as I did and I kept thinking, "Why don't you just go around me, get off my tail and git on down the road, asswipe!"

He didn't have either turn signal on, he just slowed and tagged along behind me. "GO AROUND........DICK, I'M TURNING HERE!!! ARE YOU AWAKE!!!!"

Finally as I turned off the four lane so did he, still following.

And imagine how I felt when I realized that the jerk following me who I had been cursing all along turned out to be...........

my boss, the owner of the business, in his new Toyota Tundra that I didn't recognize.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #128
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO! View Post
And imagine how I felt when I realized that the jerk following me who I had been cursing all along turned out to be...........

my boss, the owner of the business, in his new Toyota Tundra that I didn't recognize.

I have a story similar to that. Not "road rage" persay.... maybe "parking rage."

In NYC, we don't have marked "spots." I'm fortunate to have a street a 5 min walk to my office where I can park my bike when I get to work. There are about 10-15 other motorcyclists who park on that street.

When we park, we do so between cars. (That's the legal way to park in NYC.) Getting knocked over by a parallel parking car is too, too common. I've been knocked over FOUR times in the past three years.

As a result, I've gotten into the habit or checking that my bike is still on two wheels a couple times during the day. Well, this day when checking the bike, I saw a new, shiny black Merc SUV waaaay too fucking close to my bike -- about 3 inches from the right footrest. Grrrr.... The guy should have known he couldn't fit his giant vehicle in that spot -- there was a scooter about a foot from his rear bumper, too!

The red mist descended. I looked at the grill of his truck... it would be so easy to kick that to pieces.....

Breathe deeply. OK... ok.... walk.... away.

I decide to get a coffee from the place I always go to on the next block. I've been going there for many years, and I know the owner -- he's a really nice guy. As soon as I see him, he comes out and starts to talk:

Him: "You're parked on the next block, right? Next to the black SUV?"

Me: "Yeah, I know -- the guy is really close."

Him: "That's ME! I just wanted to let you know I was very careful not to bump you."

Lesson learned: There are benefits to not immediately resorting to violence.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #129
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,473
Lesson of the year= The day i stopped "closing the gap" I became 100 times safer.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #130
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
Lesson of the year= The day i stopped "closing the gap" I became 100 times safer.
Well, except for the 27 cars that dive into the space....

I do know what you mean though - I keep a nice 3-second gap whenever feasible.

This morning's winner: a FILTHY-dirty green early 2000's Camry going for the Trifecta - pulled out very closely in front of me, changed lanes without looking or signaling to the left lane, then executed a right rurn from the left lane right across my bow. Somehow the MINUTE I saw that thing I knew it'd be trouble, and rolled out of the throttle to watch the show.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #131
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonac View Post
...I always thought the image of someone putting on makeup in the rearview or visor while driving was a comical exaggeration...
Wait until you are riding in heavy traffic one day and notice the female driver of the vehicle next to you is steering with her knees while she is stringing beads into her corn-rows...

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #132
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 4,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
Don't play games with cagers.

this

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #133
Juggernot
Land Locked Sailor

Oddometer: 262
Riding home at 2330 the other night and the lady ahead of me screaches to a stop and starts honking on a semi-rural double carriage road. So I give her a second to do something (turn, scream, explode) before I pull up along side her drivers side to see whats wrong.
To my suprise I see a family of migrants crossing the road illegally right in front of her cage. A female mallard and eight adorable little ducklings.
It was cool how the moment went from a WTF to "damn I am glad I was the one to shoo them off the road".
"Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. "
Juggernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #134
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
I could go on for days. Everyday i leave for work, and when i'm gearing up i feel like i'm preparing for battle. Combination of aggressive drivers that want to scare you, and the usual brain dead steering wheel holders. I almost prefer the brain dead.

I had a guy ram me with his truck a month or so ago, Merging on from one interstate to another, was doing about 15 mph faster than the traffic in the slow lane, merged, hit some traffic, and this asshole gets right off my fender. I looked back at him and gave him the stink eye. He pulls up next to me and tries to force me onto the shoulder. I loosened up on the bars and threw my shoulder into his door as he cut into my lane. Removed his mirror, and pulled ahead.

As i was digging through my pockets looking for my extra spark plug to chuck through this guys window, an F250 pulls up in the next lane and was yelling, GO GO GO! and pointing ahead. I downshifted and had her wide open, and when there was about 6 feet between me and the asshole, My new friend parked that big ass ford right into his fender. Ran him all the way into the grass. I owe that guy a beer.

Good times indeed. Wouldn't trade my bike for a cage even on the worst days of commuting.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #135
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,795
Minivans

Going to work this morning (in the truck) and see a minivan shoot up the on ramp.
That on ramp becomes a third lane here for a couple miles.
The van jumps lanes a couple times and then settles about 3-4 feet (really) behind a guy on a Suzuki.
He has nowhere to go, following a line of traffic in the left lane and now this dumb bitch on his rear tire.
I was in the center lane and felt like crowding her off the road.

These idiots don't even think that if you stop they are not going to bump you, they are going to run over and kill you.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote