User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #2476
Jaxxzenn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
old 70's era video

vintage...not sure who picked the music but Michael McDonald does backing vocal....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDIdaqihVLg
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #2477
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,146
Well POGs I had a great time as usual riding Ye Olde KLR up to the Old Dominion to see my dad. Woulda posted up some pics earlier but I've been busy. It ain't easy being me, ya know. Although some FFs have said I make it look easy Some of the highlights:

The old TWO in Suches is now TWoS (Two Wheels of Suches) and is open for bidness. I've been a big fan of the place since my first visit 13 yrs ago, so this is Very Good News

The new owner Bill Johnston has put a lotta effort into spiffing the place up, and the grounds look better than ever:

There was a hack rally somewhere in the general vicinity, and a buncha hackers showed up. Some folks call 'em odd, but hell some folks call me odd. Imagine that.

The most futuristic-lookin sidecar rig I've ever seen. Not really my cupo'tea, but hey it was interesting:

I laughed when I saw what it said on the back:

The Hooch was going on the first weekend of June, so a buncha DDSers were in town...Swampy apparently has a new sticker available for the faithful, and I heartily approve

Saw a few FloriBamaRiders who also showed up for the Hooch--including our very own Dirtwoman, the sole Pensacola FBR representative at the event (to the best of my knowledge, anyway):

Met ADVer jub jub, the frumious bandersnatch hisself. I told him he was famous on ADV, and he said yeah, I'm on a lotta peoples' Ignore List. Well that's OK--I ain't got no Ignore List, bubba! That's jub jub on the left:

Had a good time riding the Ocoee River Rd., AKA Hwy 74:

Hit a milestone of sorts somewhere along the way:

As an Official Sunset Inspector, I'm pleased to report that I observed a buncha good ones--found a campsite less than a mile from this view in the Pisgah NF:

Are there more? Does the Pope shit in the woods? Are KLR riders cheap bastards? Need you even ask? Of course there's more!

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #2478
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,584
Thumb

"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #2479
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,090
Thumb

My Hero!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #2480
Vico1
Takin' it Easy

Oddometer: 5,532
Awesome

Great Stuff Inept.

You are da man...

Because of YOU I went thru Suches THIS morning. Wife and I spent week in mountains and came down that way (60 form Blue Ridge). Twistie for sure. We were in cage so not so much fun with wife yelling slow down...

Great weather up there this past week.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #2481
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
my hero!
+1
r_bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #2482
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,751
He's kind of a big deal around there

Keep 'em comin mang!!
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #2483
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Thanks for the kind words, fellas--glad y'all are enjoying the pics! I sure enjoyed taking them. And Buzztail, the only place I've ever been a big deal was Beast Feast '06, when I trailered in like an obliviot...I brought the whole party to a stop for a few seconds there, it was funny later, but it wasn't funny right then. I halfway considered turning around and leaving, but am glad I didn't. Helluva party, that one

What's wrong with yer bike?

Um...well...it's a KLR!!

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:16 AM   #2484
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post

What's wrong with yer bike?

Um...well...it's a KLR!!

That story kills me every time!!
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:48 AM   #2485
Barney
I reckon so

Oddometer: 850
You're living the dream my friend!

And congrats on the milestone, my KLR's got a lot of catching up to do.

Quote:

Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #2486
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Yessir Barney, yer KLR ain't even broke in good yet...and from the way it's running now, I figure mine's still got a few good trips left in it. I've put over 50K of those miles on it myself, and still not ready to sell it off.

OK, so where was I? Oh yeah, riding thru the mountains. So anyway, there I was, in McCaysville GA, when I saw this billboard that made me do a double-take:

Yes it says McCaysville Drug & Gun, and I thought it was a joke. Nope, not a joke. You can really go into this pharmacy and get yer Percocet scrip filled, and also pick up a shootin arn and some ammoes to go with it. Class III (registered full-auto, silenced, etc.) stuff too! Hey, don't get me wrong. I like guns, grew up with 'em and put a few rounds downrange in my time. And I've got no problem with drugs, especially after I've broken my back/hand/wrist/whatever. Like guns (and pretty much everything else, come to think of it) drugs can be used for good or evil. I've just never seen them made available under one roof before. I've seen a lotta stuff in my travels, but never a licensed pharmacist/gun dealer. And check out the billboard underneath--because, let's face it, if ya mix drugs and guns, there's a slight possibility you'll be needing an emergency room. Accidents happen, ya know. Farrrr out, man!

OK while I'm on the subject of odd stuff, there I was on TN 68 just south of Tellico Plains, gettin my boogie on in the twisties. And lo and behold, a sight that I remembered from last year but failed to stop and get a picture of...there's this trailer right off the highway, it's loaded to the gills with junk, and there's at least another trailer-full worth of junk scattered in the front yard. Gotta stop this time. Checked out the joint, it's locked up tight, not a soul on the premises, looks like it's been abandoned for years. And junk everywhere. There's gotta be a story behind this; I'd sure like to hear it.

OK, so naturally I had to hit Deal's Gap because I've been riding it at least once a year for 13 yrs now and it's become a tradition. So there I was, gettin my boogie on in the twisties as usual, when I came upon an accident scene. D00d rode his bike right over the edge, and there's these 3 gazoonies struggling to pull it up the (very steep) embankment. Even tho I'm a nogoodnik, I stopped to render assistance, but first I had to get a pic:

So with 4 of us, we were (just barely) able to get the bike back on pavement. It woulda been tough without the GS rider who happened to have a sturdy tow strap--that's Mr. GS Rider, doin most of the work here. And who said BMW riders were elitist snobs? OK well maybe that was me

Both bike and d00d were (amazingly enough) relatively unhurt, although that footpeg/shifter's gone baby gone--oh well, first gear was still possible to acquire and sometimes that's all that matters. So the bike was ridden back to the Crossroads of Time--yeah, I know the name has been changed to the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, but to me it's still the Crossroads.

I camped out at the Crossroads, and made my way down to Fugitive Dam to see the sunset. And I wasn't disappointed.

Just across from the dam is a primitive campground, nothing but portapotties available, but man what a view:

The water's so frikken cold that this mist is a pretty common sight--air temp was about 80 degrees here, but water temp was cold enough to turn yer hand instant blue!

Did a double-take when i saw this '84 Nighthawk S near the Tree of Shame, a dead ringer for my old '84 I had when I was a young lad. I even used to run this same front tire, a Metz ME33 Laser. What a great bike. This particular example was original and unmolested, 30K on the clock and in great shape:

Just a little ways down Hwy 28 (which is called Hellbender or Moonshiner, depending on the company ya keep) is the Friendly Fields General Store, with this curious sight:

OK, that's an early-80's GS650. It's safe to say that's the most air that front tire's ever had underneath it.

I just happened to pick a night to camp out at the Dragon when the Crossroads was sponsoring a "Fiddies" race. Fun to watch, and the price was right:

Saw a handful of lowsides, and one spectacular highside, but thankfully there were no injuries and everybody was Thoroughly Entertained.

They raced 'til 11PM, four different classes--these people take their minibikes seriously, ya think I'm lyin? Several d00ds had 140cc hi-compression motors stuffed into their CRF50s, there was lotsa knee-draggin and roll-on wheelies. Swampy prolly wouldn't approve, but he wasn't there, and nobody has to tell him about it.

There might be one or two more...

ineptizoid screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 03:39 PM
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #2487
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Laugh

Good stuff,
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #2488
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Saw a handful of lowsides, and one spectacular highside.
Did ya by chance explain to the rider the importance of pinned throttles to prevent this rookie error?

Thanks for sharing your adventures always much appreciated.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #2489
Mini Trail
n°°b

Oddometer: 2,084
I hope I don't interrupt Tony Zoids excellent adventure with this request... My family will be in the area July 21 - 28 and my 79 year old father in law is interrested in one of those Pensacola deep sea fishing excursions. I did one 25 year's ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Is there any trick to these or should I just call the chamber of commerce and schedule a trip? Or is this the equivelant of asking me about Graceland (never been)?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #2490
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Brian,
My co-workers use this fella.
http://www.classactfishing.net/

Recommended by them.
I'd like to go but get sea sick too easily.