Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #3241
ineptizoid
they all do that

Oddometer: 5,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post

Meh. Loves fades, Engines get rebuilt!
Yabbut not if the cost of the rebuild exceeds the value of the car by an exponential factor...of course, that was back in '91. A decent 323i would prolly fetch a pretty penny today.

That ol' Zahnriemen, it'll rain on yer parade, sho nuff.

I might shoulda had meself a look at a service manual before undertaking a long trip in that car. But do ya think that ever crossed my mind? I was young and dumb and full of piss and vinegar.

I can honestly say that I most certainly had stuff on my mind, but it didn't have anything to do with engine specs

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!

ineptizoid screwed with this post 06-26-2014 at 09:55 AM
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:15 AM   #3242
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,211
Laugh

Old 06-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #3243
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Sorry, got sidetracked...cush hub bearing failed and I didn't even know it until I was at the top of Buck Bald:

Heard a clunking noise as I pulled into the parking area at the top, looked down and saw this:

Yeah, that's yer problem right there, ya dipwad
, I thought to myself. Called a Friend just across the state line in Blue Ridge GA, and he came out and picked me up:

We checked out the damage, and lo, it was grievous; and I was sorely vexed. Cush hub was wallered out bad enough that it had been rendered unusable...and I couldn't get my hands on replacement parts in a reasonable time frame.

Swingarm has some custom millwork, but is salvageable, maybe:

And so Ye Olde KLR ended up in a rental truck for the trip home.

Yeah it's a pisser, but here's the bright side: I was on the tail-end of a great trip, and had thoroughly enjoyed seeing the sights:

Pondered some profound philosophical truth:

Ate some good roadside food:

Drank some excellent beer:

Met some great people:

Signed Killboy's Wall of Fame at Deal's Gap:

Enjoyed several nights in my hammock, well out of range of this sick SOCIETY!!*cough cough*

And got to spend some quality time with my dad & stepmom:

Dad sure loves his garden:

So I really can't complain. That old KLR sure provided me with a lotta good memories over the course of the 8 yrs I've had it. I bought it with 11K on the odo, and here's how far I got with it:

The. End.
Wow Tony that reminds me of when 4th gear decided it wanted to stay in Wolfs Pen Gap! Had to leave the bike at Highland Park for a rebuild.

Hope your green Kill-arrrrgh will live to haul you up there again some day.

Thanks for sharing !

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #3244
ineptizoid
they all do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
Hope your green Kill-arrrrgh will live to haul you up there again some day.
Nosir, that was my last big trip on that old bike. It served me well, but I've lost confidence in it, at least for trips like that. Got an intermittent electrical issue at the moment, but once I get 'er going again she'll be relegated to local commuter duty until I can find a suitable replacement. No hurry, I've got plenty of time between now and summer vacation next year...

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #3245
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
No hurry, I've got plenty of time between now and summer vacation next year...
I thought it was always summer down in the Gulf coast...
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #3246
ineptizoid
they all do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I thought it was always summer down in the Gulf coast...
Maybe down near Sarasota, but here in Lower Alabama it's only summer 6 months outta the year. I gotta say, I'd rather sweat than freeze

Gonna try not to sweat too much today tho, it's a holiday! Happy 4th, my fellow POGs!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #3247
ineptizoid
they all do that

OK POGs this looks real enough, doesn't it? I mean, I don't see any mulch or anything. I was willing to believe it was real, but it ain't. Still a cool pic:

Hey if a V-Strom can fly then I suppose anything's possible. And this one is real, whether there's any mulch in the pic or not.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #3248
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,830
What you dont see

What you don't see is the horrible carnage just after the pics are taken.

the guy on the hangar floor is swept up into the jet intake and they both crash into the hangar wall.

the guy on the Vee eventually comes down and of course crashes his ass off in the sand. Plastic everywhere!!!

my guess anyway

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #3249
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 889
Yep, I think it's real.

Actually in the jet pic the guy was probably packing the wheel bearings and they just erased the landing gear from the image.

Shouldn't I be doing something else right now?
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #3250
ineptizoid
they all do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
What you don't see is the horrible carnage just after the pics are taken.

the guy on the hangar floor is swept up into the jet intake and they both crash into the hangar wall.

the guy on the Vee eventually comes down and of course crashes his ass off in the sand. Plastic everywhere!!!

my guess anyway
Yessir I'd like to see if the Vee pilot pulled off the landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebert View Post
Yep, I think it's real.

Actually in the jet pic the guy was probably packing the wheel bearings and they just erased the landing gear from the image.
Hey nice photoshop work there

If d00d's packin the wheel bearings on that Canberra he's doin it wrong...looks to me like he's takin a nap. That's what I look like when I pack wheel bearings, which may have something to do with the custom millwork on my swingarm

Old 07-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #3251
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Quote:
Yessir I'd like to see if the Vee pilot pulled off the landing

Hey nice photoshop work there

If d00d's packin the wheel bearings on that Canberra he's doin it wrong...looks to me like he's takin a nap. That's what I look like when I pack wheel bearings, which may have something to do with the custom millwork on my swingarm
I have seen your handy work. That can be fixed. I have seen other pics where similar stuff happened like loose sprocket bolts etc and then the repairs with a plate welded in as a patch, or just welded. But you can probably find a swingarm cheap on ebay if you haven't already found one. The nuts look like they should be on the other side but I read where you said that was correct. Sure not much clearance on that side. Are the spacers the same thickness on both sides or is one missing?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 PM   #3252
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
I have seen your handy work. That can be fixed. I have seen other pics where similar stuff happened like loose sprocket bolts etc and then the repairs with a plate welded in as a patch, or just welded. But you can probably find a swingarm cheap on ebay if you haven't already found one. The nuts look like they should be on the other side but I read where you said that was correct. Sure not much clearance on that side. Are the spacers the same thickness on both sides or is one missing?
Hmmm, you might be right about the sprocket bolts. But the bearing on the sprocket carrier/cush drive went out and everything went awry.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #3253
ineptizoid
they all do that

Quote:
Spacers were present and accounted for, but when the cush bearing failed it let the whole cush hub "float" over to the swingarm...and like you said, there ain't a whole lotta clearance to start with. Those sprocket bolts chewin into the swingarm made a small racket, but I couldn't hear it with my earplugs in. If I hadn't stopped at Buck Bald, the damage woulda been considerably worse. Got me a used cush hub on ebay, and I'm back in business. Swingarm looks a little hinky, but hell so do I.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #3254
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Quote:
Spacers were present and accounted for, but when the cush bearing failed it let the whole cush hub "float" over to the swingarm...and like you said, there ain't a whole lotta clearance to start with. Those sprocket bolts chewin into the swingarm made a small racket, but I couldn't hear it with my earplugs in. If I hadn't stopped at Buck Bald, the damage woulda been considerably worse. Got me a used cush hub on ebay, and I'm back in business. Swingarm looks a little hinky, but hell so do I.
Yep, I looked at a parts pic of the rear hub and those are studs and nuts holding holding the sprocket on and it is the correct way. Just looks wrong as most bikes (without cush hubs) use a countersunk bolt from the outside and the nut on the inside. I thought I read you had just installed new bearings before the trip. What brand of bearings did you use? Did they go in easy and the hub was in good shape and the snap ring in there? Just curious as bearings usually last a long time unless they see water and have lousy or the wrong type of seals. Center spacer installed?? Were the rubbers in good shape before this happened? (Never mind, looked at pic) In any event, it sucks that it happened.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #3255
ineptizoid
they all do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
everything went awry.
The story of my life, in 3 words

Dave, I didn't replace any bearings before the trip but I did pull the seals and inspected/repacked both f and r whl bearings (along with the cush bearing, which is unsealed) the week before I left, and everything looked/felt great. Those were OEM Koyos, and I'm in the habit of inspecting/repacking them at every tire change, I've got spares on hand but never felt the need to use them. Like you said, bearings generally last a long time unless they see water, and Ye Olde KLR's whl brgs have very rarely been submerged.

This is what don't make no sense at all: on the day of the FAIL, I had just lubed the chain that morning. There was no sign of impending failure, everything was tight & smooth as it should be...and yet 200 miles later, my sprocket bolts are eatin my swingarm.

I just thought there would be some warning signs somewhere along the way; everytime I've had bearing problems in the past, there were signs that all was not right in Bearing World way ahead of time. And I was 2500 miles into a 3K-mile trip, with nothing but smooth sailing, apart from an intermittent starter switch issue. I woulda bet a Golden Egg that Ye Olde KLR was gonna make it home just fine.