Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #1006
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Yeah me too.....
Your call, mister livin' on the edge V.O.!
"Buttercup" - '04 AN250 Helix
ElusivePedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #1007
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,163
So, I'm relocating to Navarre, but I won't have a garage. Any recommendations on self-storage places? I potentially have to find a place to stash a small trailer, the DR, and some tools. Everything will fit in a 10x15-sized storage unit.

I know there are a ton of places along 98 between Navarre and FWB, but some of them look pretty shady...

Old 01-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #1008
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,944
Since we are on the subject of old WWII stuff - I found this interesting. Its a little long but .... what else ya got to do?

WHO THE HECK WAS KILROY?
THIS WILL SOLVE THE MYSTERY!!

KILROY WAS HERE! (for those old enough to remember this expression)

In 1946 the American Transit Association, through its radio program, "Speak to America ," sponsored a nationwide contest to find the REAL Kilroy, offering a prize of a real trolley car to the person who could prove himself to be the genuine article.

Almost 40 men stepped forward to make that claim, but only James Kilroy from Halifax , Massachusetts had evidence of his identity.

Kilroy was a 46-year old shipyard worker during the war. He worked as a checker at the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy . His job was to go around and check on the number of rivets completed. Riveters were on piecework and got paid by the rivet.

Kilroy would count a block of rivets and put a check mark in semi-waxed lumber chalk, so the rivets wouldn't be counted twice. When Kilroy went off duty, the riveters would erase the mark.

Later on, an off-shift inspector would come through and count the rivets a second time, resulting in double pay for the riveters.

One day Kilroy's boss called him into his office. The foreman was upset about all the wages being paid to riveters, and asked him to investigate. It was then that he realized what had been going on.

The tight spaces he had to crawl in to check the rivets didn't lend themselves to lugging around a paint can and brush, so Kilroy decided to stick with the waxy chalk. He continued to put his checkmark on each job he inspected, but added KILROY WAS HERE in king-sized letters next to the check, and eventually added the sketch of the chap with the long nose peering over the fence and that became part of the Kilroy message. Once he did that, the riveters stopped trying to wipe away his marks.

Ordinarily the rivets and chalk marks would have been covered up with paint. ?With war on, however, ships were leaving the Quincy Yard so fast that there wasn't time to paint them.

As a result, Kilroy's inspection "trademark" was seen by thousands of servicemen who boarded the troopships the yard produced. His message apparently rang a bell with the servicemen, because they picked it up and spread it all over Europe and the South Pacific. Before the war's end, "Kilroy" had been here, there, and everywhere on the long haul to Berlin and Tokyo .

To the unfortunate troops outbound in those ships, however, he was a complete mystery; all they knew for sure was that some jerk named Kilroy had "been there first." As a joke, U.S. servicemen began placing the graffiti wherever they landed, claiming it was already there when they arrived.

Kilroy became the U.S. super-GI who had always "already been" wherever GIs went. It became a challenge to place the logo in the most unlikely places imaginable (it is said to be atop Mt. Everest , the Statue of Liberty , the underside of the Arch De Triumphe, and even scrawled in the dust on the moon.)

And as the war went on, the legend grew. Underwater demolition teams routinely sneaked ashore on Japanese-held islands in the Pacific to map the terrain for the coming invasions by U.S. troops (and thus, presumably, were the first GI's there).

On one occasion, however, they reported seeing enemy troops painting over the Kilroy logo!

In 1945, an outhouse was built for the exclusive use of Roosevelt, Stalin, and Churchill at the Potsdam conference.

The first person inside was Stalin, who emerged and asked his aide (in Russian), "Who is Kilroy?" .....

To help prove his authenticity in 1946, James Kilroy brought along officials from the shipyard and some of the riveters. He won the trolley car, which he gave to his nine children as a Christmas gift and set it up as a playhouse in the Kilroy front yard in Halifax , Massachusetts .

So now You Know!?

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #1009
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Stopped to take a photo of the mess I'm making.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #1010
Vico1
The Maestro

Yeuup!

Looks like my place AFTER I have cleaned up...

BTW: If you didnt make a mess you didnt have fun...
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_bin View Post
Stopped to take a photo of the mess I'm making.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #1011
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
huh?

hey a_bin is that my clamp under the table?
fbm

-
Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #1012
Vico1
The Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebornman View Post
fbm

-
I know damm thats my hack saw hanging there... I can prove it....

And that block of wood there.... that has seated many a bearing.....

And that sharpe looks really familiar....

Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #1013
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebornman View Post
No, that belongs to some other guy that left a clamp. Yours is in the garage.

Want me to bring it over.

And Vic, that Sharpy is mine. The rest is yours. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #1014
freebornman
pointman

Oddometer: 1,230
huh?

timmy!
Old 02-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #1015
r_bin
Studly Adventurer

Anybody seen my hammer...? I had it just a minute ago.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #1016
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_bin View Post
Anybody seen my hammer...? I had it just a minute ago.
Doh!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #1017
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
If this is true, then you sir are in dire straits. Heard ya got a job offer up in Raleigh NC though...there's some stellar offroad riding opportunities up that way.

There was a rumor goin around sometime around '01 that a coupla squids accidentally wheelied into each other at high speed at the industrial park, resulting in major carnage. Apparently, that was the last straw, and the Uniformed Officials shut the party down. It's a familiar story; same thing happened at Ellyson Industrial Park here in P-cola about 5 yrs ago.
Not a rumor....I had moved to Birmingham for grad school so I missed it, but my friend was there that night. She says she still has nightmares about it.
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #1018
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Pete needs help! S.O.S.

Not that it goes without me saying! LOL!

Anyway - I'd like to enlist any of you Fine Old Fucks (FOFs) to come over here and cut a tree down - You youngsters too...

I do not have a chain saw, and I am at my last straw with this damn tree...Not to mention that Imma a near sighted, overweight, over-the-hill, outta shape dolt.

It's about 30' tall, and all the leaves are all but off it. No sight problems involved. Falling limb or chunck\limb angles maybe, but not vision. I think there is a good amount of space to take this bitch down! FBM knows of which I type to. It's on my NE parcel near the privacy gate.

It would take a young tree monkey / old tuff guy to scrabble up about 15 or 20' - and lop off (in nearest sections) the only two or three desolate limbs remaining on it. It might take some rope and tackle to hoist that FF up there. I don't care about the stump, and it is easy, easy access. Anybody feel like getting crazy with a chainsaw at 15' off the ground??

Last fall it shed a 100# branch on my Mazda, and now the pigeons continue to carpet-bomb (from the same relic's) limb(s) with bird crap. I want that half-dead ~60+ year old tree outta here!

12 years with this POS and I've have had it!

It's half dead anyway.

Beer's on me, even if no one want to take a lick at it.

I would buy a lawn service to do it, but being out of work for 2 months doesn't allow me to spend that sort of dough.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. A spectacle for all attending to be had.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #1019
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,163
I'm happy to climb up into a tree and go to town with a chainsaw, but seeing as though I've never actually used a chainsaw--let alone up in a tree--you'd probably be best going with someone who has a better idea of what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElusivePedro View Post
Not that it goes without me saying! LOL!

Anyway - I'd like to enlist any of you Fine Old Fucks (FOFs) to come over here and cut a tree down - You youngsters too...

I do not have a chain saw, and I am at my last straw with this damn tree...Not to mention that Imma a near sighted, overweight, over-the-hill, outta shape dolt.

It's about 30' tall, and all the leaves are all but off it. No sight problems involved. Falling limb or chunck\limb angles maybe, but not vision. I think there is a good amount of space to take this bitch down! FBM knows of which I type to. It's on my NE parcel near the privacy gate.

It would take a young tree monkey / old tuff guy to scrabble up about 15 or 20' - and lop off (in nearest sections) the only two or three desolate limbs remaining on it. It might take some rope and tackle to hoist that FF up there. I don't care about the stump, and it is easy, easy access. Anybody feel like getting crazy with a chainsaw at 15' off the ground??

Last fall it shed a 100# branch on my Mazda, and now the pigeons continue to carpet-bomb (from the same relic's) limb(s) with bird crap. I want that half-dead ~60+ year old tree outta here!

12 years with this POS and I've have had it!

It's half dead anyway.

Beer's on me, even if no one want to take a lick at it.

I would buy a lawn service to do it, but being out of work for 2 months doesn't allow me to spend that sort of dough.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. A spectacle for all attending to be had.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #1020
ElusivePedro OP
Layin' Low

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
I'm happy to climb up into a tree and go to town with a chainsaw, but seeing as though I've never actually used a chainsaw--let alone up in a tree--you'd probably be best going with someone who has a better idea of what they're doing.

C'mon Ian! I do have some rope!....