Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
NEW Maintenance/Repair/Accessory DVDs (need opinions)

OK, so I am about ready to do another BMW DVD. I am thinking about Repairs or Accessories (2 different DVDs).

Here are to rules:

Repair DVD:
  • Able to be done by the average home mechanic.
  • Typical issues, nothing rare or unusual.
  • Medium levels of difficulty
Accessories DVD:
  • Common accessory done to a BMW
  • VERY available items
  • Level of difficulty average for home mechanic/tech
Tell me what you think, what you would like to see, and give me links to products if you have one or more in mind.

By the way, I will be looking for volunteers for these projects. The benifits to you are free installation, credit, and a DVD of your choice.

I "may" purchase the needed items for "some" of the work. Definitely shop supplies and smaller components, no final drives, lighting systems etc.

If you live within striking distance of DC, you can get the work done at my place. If you come up with a great idea, but do not live close, and I use your idea, a free DVD of your choice will be given!

Thanks, I am looking forward to your input!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
jtbvaca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
DVD's

Jim, I have to tell you and anyone who is thinking about getting your videos. I have a 2011 R1200GS and not long after I got the bike I got your videos. I have the Cam Head video and the accessory video, I think those vidoes will save me alot of money because now after seeing the vidoes I am brave eonough to tackle the valve check/adjustment on my bike and just about all of the maintenance it needs. I already used the accessory video to help me install the ROX riser/bar backs, I did not realize how easy it was to lower the tubes so I can easily re route the cables. I must thank you for quickly responding to emails I sent you asking the many questions I tend to ask.
In short I must recommend the vidoes to anyone who is considering them!
jtbvaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Shirely some of you have some good ideas, right?

Jim
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
flemsmith
lurk

Oddometer: 580
lowering the GS

Jim,

I'd buy one if it included details about what components are needed to lower a std GS. I'm getting ready to lower one for my wife, and just starting to look at what the options are.

Also, seems lie you'd have a ready audience for how to ad some things to RT's, like light mounting/wiring and best GPS mounting options.

roy
flemsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
Jason1202GStime!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Maybe you can have a section that touches on those parts that are always in the spotlight.
Just to name a few.
Final drive side seal replacement.
Signal switches repair. (I think this is made into stickies already)
Fuel pump leaking issues and replacement?

ops... did I just mention final drive?
Jason1202GStime! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,141
Jim,

I'd like to add some aftermarket shocks to my ride (Hyperpro). How about an install vid?

Garrett.
gastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
omeier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Jim,
I'd throwing diagnosing sticking brakes on there.
figuring out what was wrong with my brakes on my '05 gs took a while (and you're help!).

It ended up being a leaking master cylinder, but along the way I found a few other things to check, namely the pin that can get gunked up and causing sticking....

Edit: forgot to add, the busted micro-switch that can be a problem for the servo assisted ABS's. Also having gunk stuck inbetween the pistons and the caliper that can cause stickyness..

I'll think some more about things I've come across in the forum... Fortunately (or unfortunately) the leaky master cylinder was the only problem I had in the year or so I owned my '05 GS...

omeier screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 12:02 PM
omeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Great advice! Keep it coming!

Jim
Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
omeier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Jim,

I updated my above post to reflect the other issues that I saw on my brake experience...

Good luck,
Oliver
omeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Kumazuma
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
ideas

I second the shock install. Possibly Cable replacement, I don't know if fork seals might be worth while. Maybe add some pointers where to get some of the tools. I have an older version of your 12oo gs 36000 vid. I love the funnel you use for the brake fluid service. Where did you get it. Also show the plastic strip you used to change the Belt. Or possibly how to make one for those of us with less imagination
Kumazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
rowbear2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
you could add replacing the final drive seal right side .
bob
rowbear2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumazuma View Post
I second the shock install. Possibly Cable replacement, I don't know if fork seals might be worth while. Maybe add some pointers where to get some of the tools. I have an older version of your 12oo gs 36000 vid. I love the funnel you use for the brake fluid service. Where did you get it. Also show the plastic strip you used to change the Belt. Or possibly how to make one for those of us with less imagination
Shock install I can do, it is here if you need a quickie: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Ohlins_Shock_Install.html

Fork seals might work, easy to do.

I should beef up my tools section on my site: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/Tool_Kit.html

The funnel is available from www.beemerboneyard.com

I made the plastic strip from a toss out piece of plastic from a dealer license plate. You could use a heavy laundry detergent bottle too. It is 2" wide by 6 inches long.

Thanks, and keep them coming!

Jim

PS I have the FD seal on the list already. Thinking seriously about 1100/1150 and 1200 FD rebuilds too.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Scheduled for this weekend filming, R1100/1150 Hall Effect Sensor (HES) replacement, possibly a rebuild as well.

Also scheduled, fuel line Quick Disconnect replacements, including R1200 Puel pump plate fitting replacement.

Still looking for more ideas!

Jim
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #14
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
JVB : How about these: bleeding, cleaning, maintenance and replacement of clutch slave; disconnecting the side stand safety switch; lubing drive shaft splines @ transmission end; replacing throttle cables; installing a power outlet plug; replacing the EWS ring and getting rid of those damn security screws. Pretty common, not too difficult with guidance. Love your stuff

malloy screwed with this post 06-29-2011 at 04:15 PM
malloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Filming for the quick disconnect install and the HES install are complete. I plan to rebuild the old HES as well.

If you live nearby, and wish to do some repairs or accessories, let me know, maybe we can help each other out.

Jim