Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
legs

Oddometer: n/a
GPS route for Copper Canyon?

Maybe not the best place to post this, but I figure some of you guys might have done this route. I'm interested in any GPS routes (or more information) about going from El Fuerte (Mexico) to Batopilas (or Urique). As far as I know, there are still no maps. If anyone has a pointer to some more information, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Topes, had a recent thread on this, he should be able to advise on maps as well.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,670
You can get maps from AAA and any good map store. International Travel Maps has a very good Mexico map. The store where I got the ITM map had a Copper Canyon only map.
I have the track file from my GPS when I went from Polomas to Batopilas. But it is Magellan MapSend format.

I also saw someplace on the net where you could buy and download GPS routes. You would have to google it.

Have fun, it is a great place to ride.
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
topes
Banned

Oddometer: 6,351
Guia Roji 2003 road atlas shows a route from Baltopilas to El Fuerte. I've seen Guia Roji on Amazon.com

In addition, Bicimaps has a route from Baltopilas to El Fuerte on their GPS map for both Magellan and Garmin. I have laid a couple of my known tracks over the Bicimaps and found them to be accurate. Bicimaps are a bit weird. Major highways like 16 from Chihuahua to Hermosa will have missing sections but the goat trail from Baltopilas to El Fuerte will be included. Bicimaps need to be used in conjunction with a good road map.

http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/road_map.htm

If you don't want to spend the money on Bicimaps, let me know and I'll lay out a route from Baltopilas to El Fuerte and send it to you via email.

topes screwed with this post 02-22-2005 at 01:03 AM
topes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Miguel
off road junkie

Oddometer: 590
Thanks for the info Topes. I just bought the Bicimapas zone 1 map of the Baja and downloaded it into my Garmin. It looks pretty good and will be used in conjunction with the "Baja Almanac" and map. If I make any waypoint routes I'll be sure to share them included with my ride report. I'm leaving from Victoria in ten days.
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote