Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2011, 05:09 PM   #1
garfey OP
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,596
Question Ol' Phart Bitin' Off More Than He Can Chew . . . . .

. . . or what?

No time to relate the origins of this ride, but it wasn't gonna be an attempt at a IBA Saddlesore 1000 'til yesterday.

Pics of the condemned man's last meal were taken but the dump-it cord is buried somewhere under the Netbook in the tailbag. Most of the gear came from the FM here, but "Lance" was an ibmwr find Sunday after Turkey-Day, last year. What a mile-eater that 21yo 'chine is! I'm thinking I may give him to my daughter and am carrying the Title with me. With 4 sons, she needs an escape; I had her sitting ahead of me on a DT-1 shortly after she could walk back in, ohhh, '68, I think it was. She hasn't forgotten.

~3.7Kmiles planned, not counting side trips. Meeting another Inmate Out West, prolly near Phx (he, out of H-town, is two days ahead - my bad! - left Ft. Stockton this afternoon), then we go from there. Las Vegas and SoCal are definites (there's a truck and some shocks to pick up from friends/Inmates way out there, and an "Ol' Friend"/Inmate I hope to see but he's sorta busy (THANKS for that magnificent SHawk, Kai Ju!)), and a new friend/Inmate from further South who may have a minnit to say Howdy and maybe see show an ol' 'Sippi Redneck how to lean a big-a$$ bike over on some of those vaunted canyon twisties. My guess is that Lance won't have the fat-a$$ bitch with no legs on the pillion and I'll bet the sidecases won't be on, either.

And Ensenada is a possibility (if I can get there and back without a Passport) - it would be nice to see if they still know how to make a perfect Margarita in Hussong's Cantina where they were invented in the 1890s (or so they said, at Hussong's) but this time I am not going to drive my BMW in the Pacific Ocean!!!!! (There's a campfire story there and you will have to supply lubrication so my feeble, addlepated brain doesn't forget any details! Yes, pictures were taken and, yes, I have them. The sketch is within 2ft of my left hand, now. I'll post it next. Yes, I have a "hosting site" account - too much trouble!!!!!)

The Mexican blanket I bought in Hussong's ($8, IIRC) on 3Jun79, while the sketch artist was "doing" my kids out in the car and I took him a glass of "House Red" every 15 minutes and sat at the bar and learned how to make Margaritas from a Master, before driving my '76 2002 in the Pacific, of necessity, is in the red roll bag atop the left sidecase in the Ready-to-Roll pic, attached.

'Nuff for now; gotta roll West! Can you say "Hill Country, no traffic, open spaces, great highways"?

Welcome to Texas!

All that's missing is a full moon!

garf

Attached Images

Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,223
Nice photo....did you leave ANYTHING at home?
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
man that is LOADED!
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
garfey OP
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Nice photo....did you leave ANYTHING at home?
Lyle
Yes; I just realized, when I tripped over 'em, that I failed to pack the "tent rugs." They go atop the tarps, on the luggage rack. They are not going on this trip!

Wait, Wait! I think I see a spot that needs filling on the right side below the bag of cold weather gloves, watch cap, wool scarf, & etc. and on top of the camp chair.

No, seriously, I see a spot!

I have some small experience packing things on bikes. I usually have stuff I don't need but seldom am without something I do need. Yeah, I'm the guy to ask if you need something soldered out in the boonies, 58.3 miles from the nearest electrical outlet.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
WRC51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Ha Ha a true Boy Scout, "be prepared". Yeah you are the guy I would like to have on my six if something went wrong.
WRC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
How many you riding with - geeze can they haul any of their own gear . She aint loaded til she's overloaded !
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,194
Holy crap that's a lot of stuff to bring on a bike

Have a safe ride

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Flys-a-lot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quick, somebody que the "Beverly Hillbillies" music! Better yet skip to the part about the "Loaded up the truck..." Have fun! Ride safe!
Flys-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 67
Wow.

Just sent a pic of your loaded bike to my riding buddies! This past Sept. we rode the CDR (well a portion of it). One of the hot topics was the amount of stuff some of the guys brought along (freeze dried ice cream?). But, you got them beat!

Be careful in West Texas, the winds on I-10 will slap the hell out of you even when your bike isn't packed ( ie. my loaded GSA 2009, throttle wide open, heading to Big Bend on I-10, my max speed was 75mph. A tank of gas in 200 miles...normally a 300mi+ tank). I have been all over the U.S. and never experienced anything like that before. So, in all seriousness, be careful. I finally ended up riding in the left grove of the left lane, so when the gusts smacked me I only ended up in the right lane instead of being blown into the grass. Ride Safe. Enjoy your adventure.
dave
P.S. After I posted my reply I noticed you live in deep East Texas...me too. SO DUDE...you're have your bike packed like that to ride in the Texas Hill Country...the Three Sisters...Leaky?!?!?. Holy don't ride the center line on a left hand sweeper or Bobby Joe Ray's '63 Chevrolet will knock your sleepin bag off as he creeps over the centerline comin at you Batman!

Sir Dave screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 03:02 PM Reason: I live in deep east texas too!
Sir Dave is offline   Reply With Quote