User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
+1 on russell

my buddy has a bandit 1250.... he tried both sargents, oem gel, and the guy who replaces some of your foam with his foam (can't think of the name, but i think he's in florida).... all failed

he bought a russell day long sport seat and he now rides all day with no complaints.... btw, the sport seat is not very expensive either

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGeek99 View Post
The Russell Day Long is what you want.

Look at what the really long distance riders use - there's a reason why they're using Russells.
+1

best upgrade I've ever made.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #18
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
+1 on russell

my buddy has a bandit 1250.... he tried both sargents, oem gel, and the guy who replaces some of your foam with his foam (can't think of the name, but i think he's in florida).... all failed

he bought a russell day long sport seat and he now rides all day with no complaints.... btw, the sport seat is not very expensive either
Can you get him to post photos of the seat? There's not much information on their sport seats. Also the guy you're thinking of is Spencer.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

i'll see what i can do..

in the meantime, if you go to the russell site and look at the 'sport bikes' section his saddle looks kinda like the one in the upper left photo except the pillion on his is flat (no seams), mostly rectangular and narrower (he used a 650 bandit saddle pan so his is a one piece driver/pillion)... that pic will give you a good idea of the driver's seat though.... it looks pretty good on the bike... i have the same design/style on my fjr and it looks good and is very comfortable... his only complaint is that in the twisties you can't really slide your butt side-to-side like you can on the stocker... doesn't bother me on mine... i actually prefer it in the twisties

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
Old 06-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #20
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

here is a pic of the russell sport seat like my friend has on his 1250... the drivers section on his doesn't look quite as wide as this one, and his slants up more in the back of the driver's section... hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #21
sjsred323i
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
+1 for Frank at Spencers. I did mine over the winter and it has made a big difference. It cost almost as much to ship it there and back as to have the work done. By the way, I ride a Bandit 600.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #22
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
The last couple of Corbin's I've bought were junk. Heavy, poorly made, bad customer service when you call them.
I've had well over a dozen Corbins, many custom made (raised seat pocket, so not off the shelf). NEVER had a problem, their customer service has been very good, and the seats have always worked as advertised - not a junk one in the lot of them.

Heavy....yes. They could work on a new seat pan material
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #23
longjt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Try Bill Mayer

I drove up to Ojai to have Bill Mayer redo my stock seat on the 1200RT and it's a big improvement. Back to back 500 miles days, no problem.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #24
yzmaico OP
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvscrvs View Post
here is a pic of the russell sport seat like my friend has on his 1250... the drivers section on his doesn't look quite as wide as this one, and his slants up more in the back of the driver's section... hope this helps
That's nice looking. I could hang with that and still do a spirited sport ride.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,815
The Bandit seats do separate, so you can just have the front half done.

FYI, you can also do an adjustment to raise or lower the front portion of the seat, check the manual.

I've heard great things about Spencer's seat mods on the Bandit forums, I'll be shipping my saddle off to him come the rainy season this winter. It seems like the best bang for the buck.

If money is no object, by all means go for a complete seat rebuild like Russell or Meyer.

The firmness of a Corbin works well IF, and only if, it is well shaped to your posterior. If you could get one custom shaped at the factory the firmness is an advantage, not a problem.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
BrianK
F'in' half ass lookie boy

Oddometer: 856
I am currently running Corbins on four bikes and a Sargent on one.

Nothing wrong with the Sargent but if I had a do-over on that one I'd go for the Corbin.

Corbins are firm, no doubt, but they break in nicely (albeit slowly - takes at least 5K miles in my experience).

I have no doubt whatsoever a Day Long is more comfortable but for those (like me) who just can't bring themselves to buy one of those, Corbin.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #27
Tifighter
thread killer

Oddometer: 474
I had Corbins on my previous two bikes, a V-strom and a Sprint ST. The V was okay, the Sprint I wasn't too fond of...it was shaped all wrong for me and weighed 800 lbs or so.

On the current ST1300, I went for it and ordered a Russell. No comparison, the Russell is on another planet vs the old seats. And its not that much more to buy than the others if you go for vinyl, which is what I did. If you plan to keep the bike for awhile, just make the investment and be done with it. I never think about my seat on a ride anymore, and that's the whole point.
Tifighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #28
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
Stay far far away from Corbin, their seats are way to heavy made with material that's not designed to hold up to the rigors of real motorcycling

The foam is too heavy, thick and unyielding
The shape of the seat locks you into a single position

Most of the time the seats don't fit straight on.

And to that the remarkably poor customer service record of Corbin and the investor fraud that Corbin motors was involved in with the sparrow back in 2003
http://www.pinnaclenews.com/news/con...w.asp?c=181110

You have a company that no one should deal with
Old 06-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #29
yzmaico OP
Slacker

Well.... I destroyed my left shoulder (surgery Mon 27th) on my '07 GSXR750, sooooo, I'll have lots of down time to ponder what seat to buy, just in time for a North Carolina trip late Aug/ early Sept.

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you guy's know what I buy.

Thanks Mike
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #30
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzmaico View Post
Well.... I destroyed my left shoulder (surgery Mon 27th) on my '07 GSXR750, sooooo, ...

ow Ow OWW!!

Best of luck with the surgery. Here's to hoping you heal up good as new!

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote