Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #31
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
Heal well brother. I have NEVER found a seat that was comfortable for long days in the saddle...until I bought a Russell Day Long. It is the single best motorcycle upgrade I have ever made.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #32
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Heal well brother. I have NEVER found a seat that was comfortable for long days in the saddle...until I bought a Russell Day Long. It is the single best motorcycle upgrade I have ever made.
Amen brother.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #33
Uncle Jerry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
What kind of turn around time does Russell have? I am seriously considering one.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Jerry View Post
What kind of turn around time does Russell have? I am seriously considering one.
It would be best to call them with your order and I'm sure they could tell you.
Best money ever spent on a motorcycle.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #35
tuckerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I'm sure that there is a saddle for everyone. That being said, according to the Fall '11 Ironbutt Mag, over 80% of the entrants to the 2011 IBR had aftermarket saddles. Half of those were made by Russell. Include Rick and Bill Mayer, it makes up 70% of all the aftermarket entrants. I'm not sure if that's how everyone would rank them, but it says a lot from people who ride a lot.
tuckerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #36
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I've had quite a few Corbins, loved the first ones, hated my KLR one, my Blackbird one is pretty good although a bit hard.

I'm really leaning towards a Sargeant for my ZX14. No bad reviews that I've seen and they look nice and are decently priced. I'm sure Russell makes a fantastic seat but they don't belong on a sport bike. Fugly!
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #37
yzmaico OP
Slacker

Oddometer: 315
Damn I feel like a complete clunkhead for forgetting about this thread!

I looked into some of the custom seats and a local friend told me about a guy in St. Pete that does seat mods, I don't know if I should mention the name of the shop, results were meh. The guy showed me around the shop, they were pretty busy with a lot seats (mainly big Harley seats) showed me the foam he has made for him (different colors for different density) nice guy, some of the seats looked beautiful.

The shop finished my seat quickly, only a few days, from the outside the seat appears stock but when you sit on it at first I thought very comfy but the longer I rode the seat felt too dished. I took the seat back, the guy said that foam combination should be good for my weight but said he would firm it up for me, I actually watched one of the employees working on the seat and he did layer the seat with different colored foam but when it was all said and done the seat still felt too dished after riding for awhile.

Soooo, I happened to see a Sargent on sale at Motorcycle Superstore for $377, I purchased the standard height which is about 1 inch taller than stock and I'm pretty happy with the seat. I think I'm going to stick with the Sargent because I'm still saving and searching for a track replacement, the 750 was toooo wadded up to justify the cost of repairing

My ass is what it is, flat and achy I'm really sorry for the shit slow response to what I bought.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #38
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 544
Day Long from Russell is a remarkable seat. And like many have said here, you very rarely hear negative things about their seats or the company.

I live so many thousands of kms away here in Saudi Arabia and after a 600km ride one day, I decided the stock seat on my otherwise wonderful 05' R1200GS was probably the biggest piece of crap that came from Bavaria....

After lots of reading on ADV and other forums, I took a chance with the expensive Russell Day Long. One telecall, a couple of email exchanges with pictures & other vital measurements they required, and my stock seat was on its way to the US (5-star rating from me for their exemplary customer service). As promised they stick to their delivery and what I received is probably the best 'investment' I have made on the GS. To test it, I filled up my tank and did a non-stop 350km ride and believe me I didn't have to even once stand on the footpegs to reposition my butt, which on the stock seat was like every 80-100kms.

Yes, you must take into account that the Day-Long seat does not increase the seat height, but since it widens a bit, your reach to the ground gets a little shorter. At 6ft tall, I comfortably flat footed both my legs with the stock seat, but now its 'almost' flat foot with some gap!

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #39
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
I've had 3 Russel Day Long saddles. Every one was perfect. If you're seriously considering a Rick Mayers saddle, PM me.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #40
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I got a seat from this company last year because they were local to me and I heard good things about them. I've put about 5K on the seat so far and couldn't be happier.

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com
bv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #41
What?
curmudgeon

Oddometer: 359
I too have a bony ass. This winter I started exercising 5 days a week. My machine of choice is the rowing machine. But when I first started using it, I couldn't go ten minutes on it before it felt like my bony ass was going to cut through my skin. Now, twenty minutes on it is not a problem.
I'll be interested to see if it makes a difference in my riding this summer. I have a BMW K75 with the worlds worst saddle. I'll report back in July.
Maybe you need some off season training?
What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #42
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzmaico View Post
Damn I feel like a complete clunkhead for forgetting about this thread!

I looked into some of the custom seats and a local friend told me about a guy in St. Pete that does seat mods, I don't know if I should mention the name of the shop, results were meh. The guy showed me around the shop, they were pretty busy with a lot seats (mainly big Harley seats) showed me the foam he has made for him (different colors for different density) nice guy, some of the seats looked beautiful.

The shop finished my seat quickly, only a few days, from the outside the seat appears stock but when you sit on it at first I thought very comfy but the longer I rode the seat felt too dished. I took the seat back, the guy said that foam combination should be good for my weight but said he would firm it up for me, I actually watched one of the employees working on the seat and he did layer the seat with different colored foam but when it was all said and done the seat still felt too dished after riding for awhile.

Soooo, I happened to see a Sargent on sale at Motorcycle Superstore for $377, I purchased the standard height which is about 1 inch taller than stock and I'm pretty happy with the seat. I think I'm going to stick with the Sargent because I'm still saving and searching for a track replacement, the 750 was toooo wadded up to justify the cost of repairing

My ass is what it is, flat and achy I'm really sorry for the shit slow response to what I bought.
Kinda chiming in late since I just saw this thread. Had one on my 1250 since they were first offered by Sargent.
One thing that was not mentioned is that Sargent has a policy of "30 days money back" if you purchase from them. In other words, Try it and if you don't like it, send it back. It only cost you the shipping. Just look at that as rental if you don't like the seat!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #43
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by What? View Post
I have a BMW K75 with the worlds worst saddle.
+ a Brazillion

There's a special place in hell for whoever designed K bike stock seats...
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #44
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s

Oddometer: 1,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
+ a Brazillion

There's a special place in hell for whoever designed K bike stock seats...
The same was true with the R1100S seat.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #45
Bigfatoldbiker
n00b

Oddometer: 2
+1 on Russell, most comfortable seat I have ever had. Great service and build quality.
Bigfatoldbiker is offline   Reply With Quote