KHVol
Ks-Ryder
slabm7
samthg
GB007
2eddies
NoNo
Bob

Thanks for the nice comments. We're glad to hear someone is enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post

wish i had done a trip like this with my boy. he's "fourteeeeeen now" and won't ride pillion anymore.
I hear you. My daughter turns 13 later this summer. I figure this may be the last summer she will be interested in riding. We're planning a similar trip for her. As of today she is still very excited about the prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie View Post
Hi Dave!!!!

loving this ALREADY!!!!

can you tell me about Mathhews gear - i see it's Joe Rocket but i can't find anything about kids sizes on their website...my son Jackson is also 10 and I'd love to keep an eye out for some gear for him....likley second hand on ebay or somesuch.

can't wait for the next installment!!!

Cheers mate

Shane

Hi Shane! The riding gear Matt is sportin' all belongs to his mother. (Except for the helmet, which was purchased just for him.) I was surprised to find out the pants and boots fit him so well. The jacket is a Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh. He had a nice waterproof windbreaker and layers of sweaters to wear underneath when needed. The pants are women's Olympia Airglide mesh pants. The pants are the same as mine and come with a waterproof insulated liner that kept us warm on the coldest nights inside the sleeping bag. His boots are women's Frank Thomas (a Cycle Gear Brand) waterproof touring boots. The pants were baggy, but I like the fact you can wear a belt with the Olympia stuff. He didn't want to take the pants off even when playing in the forest with his friends. He said they were comfortable. He probably doesn't want anyone to know he was wearing women's clothes, but doesn't he just look soo MACHO!

So, if you aren't finding kid's sizes, look for women's sizes that are not so feminine looking. This wouldn't have worked out if my wife's gear was pink. My wife, son and daughter can now wear the same gear, though this wasn't considered when we actually bought the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
I think matt needs his own "handel" matt 6223 1/2 to post his front page pix----- the lad has the eye
Ha ha! I'm not sure of the rules about kids here on advrider. I've asked him to write down his own thoughts about each day. I'll just quote him here for you guys. There were some sections of trails we rode that were quite violent for a pillion rider. I'm sure he has some thoughts about that...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,944
Day 2 The Kaibab Plateau

The plan this morning was to move our camp to my friend's campsite. I know the road he is on,
but the maps I brought and the GPS is no help. I know he was a little north of Crazy Jugs Point,
so we head in that direction.

We spent alot of time on this trip blasting up and down the FS 22 "West Side Road".

We make it all the way out to Crazy Jugs Point without finding the turnoff for my friend's campsite.
Crazy Jugs Point is a beautiful viewpoint of the Grand Canyon accessible through the National Forest (Not in the Park).
You could easily camp right here.

We head back towards the West SIde Road and flag down this lady and her cute dog for a look at a better map.

We camped about 6 miles way from my friend's campsite, but rode 49 miles this morning looking for it. Doh! The riding here does not suck though.

My co-worker/friend and his family are set up with their RV down a dead end trail. Another co-worker/friend shows up and sets up a tent.
Matt has a good time playing with two new friends that are his age.

In the afternoon Matthew and I headed for the National Park to see the sunset....
Old 06-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,561
Cheers for the great reply Dave!

now on with the fabulous show please

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #21
00SS
Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer: 1,662
In... i have daughters (4 of them) and hope one day soon i'll take them on a trip/over-nighter.. really loving the photography and the post on them. well done and keep it coming.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 2 The North Rim

We make it to the North Rim Lodge area and walk out to Bright Angel Point. This is the most visited area
on the the North Rim. Ninety percent of tourists still visit the South Rim, but the North Rim Lodge
is plenty busy with tourists.

After Bright Angel Point we ride out to Cape Royal. This would be my favorite section of asphalt
in the entire park, and the best of the easily accessed viewpoints. It amazes me how many people go
all the way to the North Rim Lodge without ever going out to Cape Royal/Angel's Window.

We cooked up a Mountain House Beef Stroganoff in the parking lot and walked out to the point with the pouch while it reconstituted.
We had dinner with a view.
Matthew loved the Beef Stroganoff and declared it his favorite Mountain House Meal.

In this photo you can see smoke from a forest fire in Bellemont. I understand the smoke seen here
shut down I-40 and covered Flagstaff for a day. Humphrey's Peak, the highest point in Arizona, is seen here
from more than 60 miles away. The other side of the canyon is about 8-10 miles from this viewpoint.

The Bellemont fire was controlled quickly and is not one of the major fires ravaging our State now.

Angel's Window is the triangle missing from the outcropping here. The river can be seen through the window.
You can walk all the way out on the point over the window.

We left the point after sunset. We have about 50 miles to ride in the cold and dark night to make it back to camp.
This includes about 15 miles of gravel. I wouldn't recommend doing this. You will see plenty of deer on highway 67 anytime of day,
but at night you'll be doing more than just seeing them, you'll need to evade them.

We made it safely back to camp around 9:30 PM. One friend is already sound asleep in his tent.
The other friend is not back yet. I knew he went exploring in his 4x4 with the family.
I start to worry. Where could he be so late? Should I go looking for him? If only I knew where to start looking.
Finally, they returned after 11 PM. I roll over and go back to sleep.

I had planned to get up before sunrise to ride back into the park, but after the long ride in the dark already,
neither one of us wanted to repeat it.

I tell Matthew we'll just take it easy tomorrow and camp here another night so he can play with new friends.
I shouldn't have gotten his hopes up....

dave6253 screwed with this post 06-17-2011 at 10:20 AM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #23
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
So, this Matthew. He is professional photographer, no?

Great stuff Matt keep it up.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #24
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 3, Sublime

On the morning of Day 3 I'm hanging out with my pals around the campfire drinking coffee, when I learn why
My buddy was so late back to camp last night. He drove out to Point Sublime! What!?!?

Point Sublime has been a dream destination of mine for several years. I've tried three times in
the past two summers to get there. Twice I've been blocked by locked gates, and the third time
my trip was cut short with battery problems. I really wanted to ride there this summer, but the park
website said it would be closed due to a prescribed burn.

Yesterday my buddy was exploring around the back entrance when he saw someone driving out.
He talked with them and learned the road was open because the prescribed forest burn
was delayed due to high winds.

I snap a photo of my buddy's map to ensure I could find my way. When Matthew woke up I broke the news...

We're gonna go to POINT SUBLIME!!!

Of course, Matt was a little less excited. "But dad, you said we'd stay here another night".

After giving my friend's two kids a short motorcycle ride each, we leave for our own ride.

We are going to Point Sublime! (If we can make it.) My buddy warned me of how rough the road was.
He wasn't sure we could make it on a bike. It took him hours to crawl out with his 4x4 in the dark.
He thought the main road was worse than the back way.

We head into the Park with plans to stop at the backcountry office. Of course I want to see Point Sublime,
but the view at sunset and sunrise would be better. I really want to camp there. This requires a backcountry permit.
Will they give us one?

The backcountry office was closed for lunch, so we headed for the Lodge for our own lunch. Mmmmmm... Pizza!

Matthew was really hoping the backcountry office wouldn't give us a permit. He still had hopes
of camping with his new friends.

A little after 1 PM I walked out of the backcountry office grinning from ear to ear.
Did I just waste $15? What if the trail is to rough for the fully loaded bike 2up?

We were only able to get a permit due to a cancellation that had called just before we got there.

dave6253 screwed with this post 06-12-2011 at 04:02 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Point Sublime Trail

Finally! I reach this sign without a locked gate. I'm excited.

The trail is really easy for the first three miles.

After the Tiyo Point Trailhead the road gets fun. I'm no fan of deep sand. The sand wasn't to long though and we motored through.

The maps don't show much elevation change out here, but the road does have lots of ups and downs.

We don't get any pics of the toughest parts. They weren't very prolonged. The trail is pretty
rough for only about six miles. Matthew didn't enjoy the rocky steep ascents when I had to
plow through. He can't see what's coming and he gets bounced around pretty hard without warning.
Sorry buddy. Daddy was on a mission.
The KTM didn't seem to mind all the extra weight at all.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Point Sublime Trail

There's a nice overlook on the trail.

We take a break to rest our butts...

and to cool the big beast down.

We then plunge back into the sublime forest.

The last six miles were cake.
Pretty soon the road fell away on either side and we caught a glimpse of what's to come.

Almost there...

Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #27
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
great report, look forward to the rest of it
And god said unto moses come forth... but he came fifth and won a teapot
roswellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #28
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Sublime Success!

We made it!
See. I promised an easy day of riding. Only 56 miles.

It was a nice warm day near the edge of the canyon. We were literally surrounded by beauty.

A short trail leads down to a small platform at the end of the point.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #29
dashredder
Just go.

Oddometer: 68
What an enjoyable post. Absolutely spectacular photos from what seems to be among the greatest riding adventures. Thank you for sharing!
dashredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #30
kanur
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Fantastic Pictures!

Though I have never rode a bike across Marble Canyon I have walked across it and rowed a 16' oar rig down it.

After having seen the Canyon by raft I have always wondered what different places looked like from above. Thanks for showing me.