User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2005, 03:01 AM   #1
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,461
G'day from a new Aussie member

G'day Everyone, My names Bill and i've just joined although i've been lurking for a while. I live in sunny Cobar, NSW and ride a much modified '00 model Kawasaki ZX-12R. The time is fast approaching when i'll have to park the beast in the shed and get something a little more sane! I'm looking for a tough, well built, easy to maintain bike without a fairing / excess tupperware attached, so among others i'm considering BMWs offerings the R1150GSA and the R1200GS. I've ridden the R1150GS briefly at Mt Tambourine last year and was surprised at how well it handled, havn't ridden the 1200 yet, the horror stories about the servo brakes have me a bit worried though. Considering how much dirt there is out this way i think either of these would be a good option. When i get a chance i think i'll get down to Sydney and hire them both out for a day and make my mind up.
Anyway, i'm interested in anyones opinions / advice on the subject!
Thanks
Bill
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Try organiising a test ride for a day - they should be free!

The problem you have is 'dealer service' or maintance of warrentee...

Edit - and welcome.

You'll get more traffic on OZ on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/oz_adventure_riders/
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 PM   #3
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
G'day Everyone, My names Bill and i've just joined although i've been lurking for a while. I live in sunny Cobar, NSW and ride a much modified '00 model Kawasaki ZX-12R. The time is fast approaching when i'll have to park the beast in the shed and get something a little more sane! I'm looking for a tough, well built, easy to maintain bike without a fairing / excess tupperware attached, so among others i'm considering BMWs offerings the R1150GSA and the R1200GS. I've ridden the R1150GS briefly at Mt Tambourine last year and was surprised at how well it handled, havn't ridden the 1200 yet, the horror stories about the servo brakes have me a bit worried though. Considering how much dirt there is out this way i think either of these would be a good option. When i get a chance i think i'll get down to Sydney and hire them both out for a day and make my mind up.
Anyway, i'm interested in anyones opinions / advice on the subject!
Thanks
Bill
G'day Bill - Good old Cobar - spent a few days there last year after a coming together with a skippy on the Louth Road heading to the off center piss up - Nice bike shop you have there - Parisies? I think great blokes and got me going when Tom Byrnes had no idea on what to do - get the GSA mate - no problems
Old 02-22-2005, 01:50 AM   #4
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Thanks for the link Frank i'll drop over there in a minute. I don't like the sound of dealer maintenance / warranty issue, whats the problem?

Slowbike.......i think i'm in love with your avatar mate.......but seriously, yup i think i remember seeing your bike in Claudes workshop, but i thought it was Louth races weekend? that would've been the first GSA i'd seen and was quite taken with it. I work at one of the mines out on Louth road and i know what you mean about the 'roos, i lost a perfectly good YZF1000 coming from work one day. One of the gripes i have with sports bikes is that if you have a minor accident it wipes out the plastics and the insurance writes off the bike.

Thanks
Bill
Old 02-22-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,542
Quote:
Thanks for the link Frank i'll drop over there in a minute. I don't like the sound of dealer maintenance / warranty issue, whats the problem?

Slowbike.......i think i'm in love with your avatar mate.......but seriously, yup i think i remember seeing your bike in Claudes workshop, but i thought it was Louth races weekend? that would've been the first GSA i'd seen and was quite taken with it. I work at one of the mines out on Louth road and i know what you mean about the 'roos, i lost a perfectly good YZF1000 coming from work one day. One of the gripes i have with sports bikes is that if you have a minor accident it wipes out the plastics and the insurance writes off the bike.

Thanks
Bill
Was the week after the races Bill - Yes Claude and his brother great blokes, even rang my wife while i was heading back home to tell her i was on my way then rang me the next day to make sure i got home ok - great blokes.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Frank Warner
Traveller

Quote:
I don't like the sound of dealer maintenance / warranty issue, whats the problem?
Don't think you have a bmw dealer close by.. so serviceing becomes an issue. Particulary if bmw 'think' that the servicing caused a problem ...
Old 03-02-2005, 01:22 AM   #7
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

G'day Frank, I've applied for membership on the Oz site but it seems to be taking a while to get approved or whatever, is the moderator off on a trip or something? :-) Anyway, i'll be patient, it looks like a good site
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-02-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
Frank Warner
Traveller

Quote:
G'day Frank, I've applied for membership on the Oz site but it seems to be taking a while to get approved or whatever, is the moderator off on a trip or something? :-) Anyway, i'll be patient, it looks like a good site
l
The mod god is around ... probably busy. It is not so much of a site as a group of people communicating by email. Fairly good group. There should be a few at the cold flame rally this weekend south of Jindabine on the Brarry Way.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
Bill,

you should be approved now for the OAR list.
Greg
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Many thanks for that gentlemen, i've started receiving the emails every day and i'm just doing a bit of casual lurking at present, it's a bloody good site!

Thanks
Bill
Old 03-10-2005, 03:48 AM   #11
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
G'day Frank, I've applied for membership on the Oz site but ...
! I was trying off and on for over a year, gave up and can't be bothered anymore.
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 05:04 AM   #12
Speedzter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Bill

Just a thought if you are coming from a sportsbike , do yourself a favour ,
and also test ride a KTM950, if you can arrange it . I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers
Speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:24 AM   #13
GS-Jake
Live to Ride Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
G'Day Gents,

Well having owned a few Jap bikes and a couple of touchy Italian machines I decided to try the BMW. I live in Ipswich so the Brisvagas dealer is not so far away, great bike not a problem, I've had it 8 months, got about 13k on it so far. Great bike and great service from the dealer. I get a loan bike (No charge) when it gets serviced. Can't go wrong

Ride safe
Jake
GS-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:57 PM   #14
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Mmm yes i had the opportunity to ride the KTM the other day, an unusual looking bike.........come to think of it they all are in this category Went surprisingly well and bloody light too compared to the BMW. I'll keep it in mind. I had the opportunity to ride an R1150 at Mt Tambourine last year and was very impressed with it, surprised how well it handles the twisty bits. When i get a chance i'll also try the R1200. Looks like my big issue is going to be servicing, i'd have to do it myself on a BMW as theres no one within 500 kms of me. The local dealers pretty switched on so maybe he'd help if it all went tits up.

Later
Old Dog
Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #15
Speedzter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
It's OK , you can call them bloody ugly , but they grow on you ! .
The KTM loves to rev , and handles the twisties very well .
So what has been done to your ZX12 ?

cheers

Quote:
Mmm yes i had the opportunity to ride the KTM the other day, an unusual looking bike.........come to think of it they all are in this category Went surprisingly well and bloody light too compared to the BMW. I'll keep it in mind.

Speedzter screwed with this post 03-27-2005 at 09:30 PM
Speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote