User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
One More DRZ does the TAT.....

I've been spending countless hours prepping the little DRZ for the TAT, (looky here). At first the G/S was the bike of choice, for two reasons 1) well it's a G/S and for me there is just something about a G/S that was really wanting me to take it. 2) other reason it would make the ride back easier on the rider.
Marks against the G/S, shear weight and lack of suspension travel. What nailed down the DRZ was this trip is more about the ride out than the return, plus the DRZ is just more capable....even if I'm not.

One of the most important mods was to the rear sub frame, tying the rear wolfman bag mounts, into the main frame.

Then there was purchasing some smaller gear to take along, i.e.- tent, small camp chair, stove and other things. Also figuring out what the bare minimum clothes needed. I really hate the space the cold weather clothes take up, seems terrible to take when leaving from 90 plus degree heat and about 90% humidity.

Seems like there are quite a few people doing or starting the TAT this summer and here's a list of prospective victims

My original leave date was going to be Mid May to 1st of June, but as luck would have it the date got pushed back to June17-18th. This will work out better as there is a better chance that the high CO passes will be open.

I was prepared to ride solo and may still do some of it solo, but who knows how that will work out. As luck would have it, I have two experienced ridding partners from Texas, Ken and Kevin. This will help me immensely as my off road experience is somewhat limited. Mostly hard and loose packed gravel. I've spoken with Ken and being an older rider (than me), I get the impression his ridding style won't be all out at a lunatic pace. Of course there may be moments.

Here's the DRZ loaded up and just waiting for the rider...

Spot Link-

if anyone knows how to put the actual spot map in the RR, please tell me as I can't fgure it out.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-18-2011 at 04:15 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
Good luck and have some fun!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Ready, set, go!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
old-school
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Sounds like a good time.
old-school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I've been spending countless hours prepping the little DRZ for the TAT, (looky here). At first the G/S was the bike of choice, for two reasons 1) well it's a G/S and for me there is just something about a G/S that was really wanting me to take it. 2) other reason it would make the ride back easier on the rider.
Marks against the G/S, shear weight and lack of suspension travel. What nailed down the DRZ was this trip is more about the ride out than the return, plus the DRZ is just more capable....even if I'm not.

One of the most important mods was to the rear sub frame, tying the rear wolfman bag mounts, into the main frame.

Then there was purchasing some smaller gear to take along, i.e.- tent, small camp chair, stove and other things. Also figuring out what the bare minimum clothes needed. I really hate the space the cold weather clothes take up, seems terrible to take when leaving from 90 plus degree heat and about 90% humidity.

Seems like there are quite a few people doing or starting the TAT this summer and here's a list of prospective victims

My original leave date was going to be Mid May to 1st of June, but as luck would have it the date got pushed back to June17-18th. This will work out better as there is a better chance that the high CO passes will be open.

I was prepared to ride solo and may still do some of it solo, but who knows how that will work out. As luck would have it, I have two experienced ridding partners from Texas, Ken and Kevin. This will help me immensely as my off road experience is somewhat limited. Mostly hard and loose packed gravel. I've spoken with Ken and being an older rider (than me), I get the impression his ridding style won't be all out at a lunatic pace. Of course there may be moments.

Here's the DRZ loaded up and just waiting for the rider...

Spot Link-

if anyone knows how to put the actual spot map in the RR, please tell me as I can't fgure it out.
Looking good OLH! Black Beauty. You'll have to post an after photo as well. Prolly be a little dirtier

John
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
The kicker seems like a nice piece of insurance.

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Reading Mike and Kim's journey, hopefully not ended for them yet, it and I will be Mississippi brown in no time. Kind of like the sails on their catamarans at Lake Arkabutla (I've Hobie sailed there). Being the slow guy I'll get to eat dust of two better riders. Oh ,well at least I won't get hungry!!!?

Maybe I can pry the bars of one of the WR250's from some one's (cold dead) hands. The less talented guy gets the heavy DRZ, oh well at least I'm 10-15 years younger. (LOL)

Sometimes I can kick it and some times not. Never had problems with my old Triumph T100C. Just don't have the technique down.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 06-12-2011 at 05:05 PM
Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Good Luck!! Get to put the skills from the course to a real test on a lighter bike!!! Enjoy the ride, and just think of all the extra trails you can hit on the way back that you might be leary of doing on the GS!!

Leave for Prudhoe Bay 2 weeks from this coming Friday!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Good Luck!! Get to put the skills from the course to a real test on a lighter bike!!! Enjoy the ride, and just think of all the extra trails you can hit on the way back that you might be leary of doing on the GS!!

Leave for Prudhoe Bay 2 weeks from this coming Friday!!!
Look forward to reading about your trip.

The course was useful, but wish I had spent the money for a more off road MX type school. As we never practiced or were taught about loosing traction at speed. Sliding the bike through corners and working trails. Useful class but in hind sight for what I want to do my money would have been spent better on different schooling.

I'm using the tight trail techniques standing on the pegs and getting my butt to the outside. Looking forward to some sand riding as I kind of know what the bike will be doing. it's just steering in gravel (you saw how I am it that) and sand which I don't have the feel for.....

Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Spot Link-

You should consider using Jason's Spotwalla service. It's free, much more configurable than the spot page and he provides an embed link to boot. All you have to do is register and then set up your unit. I used it on my trip and highly recommend it. http://spotwalla.com/ DirtyDog is using in his RR if you want to see it in action.

John
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,948
Quote:
Sometimes I can kick it and some times not. Never had problems with my old Triumph T100C. Just don't have the technique down.
I kick my DR350 through several times before turning the ignition on. Usually starts first kick when I remember to do that.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

sourjohn, thanks I'll check it out.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #13
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
That's one fine looking ADV motorcycle! It's kind of a Darth Vadar look, and ought to scare the trail into submission! I don't think you are going to have any skill problems on this trip. You'll be very comfortable on the bike by the time we get to the "good" stuff! Just take it easy on us on the pavement and high speed gravel!!! We'll be pedaling as fast as we can....

Ken
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Good Luck One Less Harley + blaisew. Ride safe, ride far...if you're not too fast I might catch up with you.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 09:45 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
One more evening at home, and we hit the road to Jellico in the morning, early, to meet up with One Less Harley. Hope his kitchen project is in hand by now. Most of the day will be spent getting the house in order so I can shut it down for a month and a half. Just a few more items to put onto the bike and all that's left is twisting the throttle! My CTI knee brace representative is on the way over to help me get the hyper-extension stops installed correctly, along with the patella cup, and I hope the brace isn't pure torture to wear all day long! Gotta do it though. Looks like good weather all the way to Jellico, but rain is forecast for our start day, Saturday. We should run out of it that day though, and the trail west looks good after that, at least for now. Hope to scoot through the mud bogs in Mississippi and Oklahoma without too many probelms. It's time get out of here!

Ken
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote