User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
I heart my WR250F

This is my 2003 WR when I picked it up two years ago.

It was mint, but after two years of trail rides and races it's getting a little more worn in at this point.

Odessa Washington. Who knew there was desert in the North West.

This is with my 8" HID race light before my first 24 hour relay race

Skull power !

The damper is a huge help

Next up is a dual sport convertion, parts are all in the garage and ready to go !
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 347
I'm on the 250 on the left, my bud is on the right with his 450. Both 2003 models.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,617
I have a 2008 for sale

PM if interested. Was my kid's bike but we need another dualsport.
28 hours, over a grand of extras. Best trailbike ever made.

browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #19
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Sold

The '08 sold and picked this one up the same week...extremely rare in CA with a plate!
Nice clean little bike. Did a bunch of fix-it's and maintenance, re-geared for dualsport riding. Cost me an extra $50 a year to add it to my motorcycle policy. Even has dot tires and everything works. I suspect very low time, has the original chain, very few scuffs on the cases, and probably the second set of tires. Did all the free-mods, goes like stink!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #20
qwiky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
The '08 sold and picked this one up the same week...extremely rare in CA with a plate!
Nice clean little bike. Did a bunch of fix-it's and maintenance, re-geared for dualsport riding. Cost me an extra $50 a year to add it to my motorcycle policy. Even has dot tires and everything works. I suspect very low time, has the original chain, very few scuffs on the cases, and probably the second set of tires. Did all the free-mods, goes like stink!

^^^^ what did you change your gearing to? how much for insurance?
qwiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiky View Post
^^^^ what did you change your gearing to? how much for insurance?
I put a 49 on the rear, then 14 counter for road and 13 for trail. Swap out depending on the bulk of the type of riding on a given trip. The '08 had a 50 rear but the 04 had a 52 rear. I don't know if the newer ones have a lower primary or not. My KTM runs a 13/50 for all trail, max speed is about 75 but that's gotta be at least ten grand.

Anyway, I test road both ratios and both work well. For hiway work the taller gearing is great, it'll cruise 60-65 easy, and still keep the lower gearing for going to ride single track. For dualsport riding the taller gearing is really nice. But it's easy to over tax the brakes, the thing gets up and goes! It's almost as quick as my 630! Of course it would pull away at higher speeds, the husky will cruise at whatever you can handle, all the way up to a hundred. At 70+ it starts the hunt though with a front knob, the yammer does too at about 65.

These little bikes are really nice, they are really light and handle like a dream. After riding the ktm and the WR, they are more similar than different. The ktm is just a little more punchy and a shade faster. It has had suspension tuned though, and the yamahas i've left stock, so it's a little better at high speed whoops.

Oh, and adding a third bike for liability only, it's about $40 a year. But then I'm 55 with 40 years of riding.
My son is gonna ride it mostly though, he's almost 18.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #22
mcmarcia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Laugh lov my wr250f

I have an 04 wr 250f I bought used a few years back and really enjoy the nimble and fast nature of the beast. I just got it plated for colorado, insurance was only $38/year. I geared mine at 14/51 and it works well for moab riding, mostly in 2nd, 3rd or 4th with 1st as a granny gear for the technical stuff. It goes around 55 on the highway, but just guessing, no gps or display. I have put about 2000 miles on the bike and it has never failed me, starts like a champ and the valves do not seem to move at all. It came with the scotts dampner and I added some cycra probends, larger tank, fresh plastic and the brake light/sensor. I had a wr450f for a while a few years back as well, worked good for colorado passes, but to hulky and heavy for moab.

A couple weeks ago, I sold an old custom virago I had in the garage and used the money to buy an 04 ktm 450 mxc (plated), so I also slipped over to the orange side. I am keeping both the wr and the ktm as the two bikes compliment each other, yamaha has the wide range tranny and the ktm has a 6 speed close range tranny. the wr is set up a bit softer, ktm a bit stiffer. I found a used, but almost new rekluse autoclutch for the ktm, so excited to get that installed, should help with the technical riding and hoping I can keep the gearing pretty high but still have a low 1st that I can lug thru the tight stuff and be able to charge high speed thru the desert.

Here is my "fleet" from a moab ride a week ago,

Current flock: GS1100, R1150R, KTM450MXC, G650GS. Flown away: GSPD, yam 250 & 450WR

mcmarcia screwed with this post 04-17-2012 at 10:48 PM Reason: added pic
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

mcmarcia

red 'x' for pics...
Would like to see them.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
jcalis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
My WR250F

Here's mine, street plated so I can connect trails and do all the NETRA club "turkey runs". It's mostly stock with the usual guards and skid plate. I like the white Aussie model with the red retro graphics, so I had a friend cut some vinyl replicas for me (he runs a sign shop). Gearing is 14 /49 to make it a bit more liveable on the street sections. This is the perfect bike for tight, New England trails.

Riding with friends on some local trails:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjQqO...tailpage#t=81s
Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalis View Post
Here's mine, street plated so I can connect trails and do all the NETRA club "turkey runs". It's mostly stock with the usual guards and skid plate. I like the white Aussie model with the red retro graphics, so I had a friend cut some vinyl replicas for me (he runs a sign shop). Gearing is 14 /49 to make it a bit more liveable on the street sections. This is the perfect bike for tight, New England trails.

Very nice. Unique look to it.

I'm glad to hear you're getting by offroad with that gearing. I was afraid it would be too tall but I'm anxious to try it out on trails. For all but the toughest stuff I'm sure it's fine.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
qwiky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
I put a 49 on the rear, then 14 counter for road and 13 for trail. Swap out depending on the bulk of the type of riding on a given trip. The '08 had a 50 rear but the 04 had a 52 rear. I don't know if the newer ones have a lower primary or not. My KTM runs a 13/50 for all trail, max speed is about 75 but that's gotta be at least ten grand.

Anyway, I test road both ratios and both work well. For hiway work the taller gearing is great, it'll cruise 60-65 easy, and still keep the lower gearing for going to ride single track. For dualsport riding the taller gearing is really nice. But it's easy to over tax the brakes, the thing gets up and goes! It's almost as quick as my 630! Of course it would pull away at higher speeds, the husky will cruise at whatever you can handle, all the way up to a hundred. At 70+ it starts the hunt though with a front knob, the yammer does too at about 65.

These little bikes are really nice, they are really light and handle like a dream. After riding the ktm and the WR, they are more similar than different. The ktm is just a little more punchy and a shade faster. It has had suspension tuned though, and the yamahas i've left stock, so it's a little better at high speed whoops.

Oh, and adding a third bike for liability only, it's about $40 a year. But then I'm 55 with 40 years of riding.
My son is gonna ride it mostly though, he's almost 18.

sweet! thanks, my 01 comes stock with 13/53 so its screaming at around 60km/h i think i'll go with something like 49-50 rear, hoping i can get it safetied and on the road so i can get to riding spots without trucking it out there,
qwiky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
My new-to-me 2003 WR250F:

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
I'm surprised there aren't more WR250Fs here!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Me too. I think they're mostly on thumper-talk.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Hey Chris,
I have an '07 WR250F. I'm looking for some jetting ideas to eliminate the bog. I have the JD Jetting kit and have tried various needles provided and different main jets. Done all free mods. Very tricky to get right ... and bike is not exactly strong, or maybe not as strong as it could be. Did I cut the wrong wire? I thought it was the Gray wire ... but not positive I cut the right one. Location?

Any ideas on jetting and improvements/mods much appreciated.

Black Rock Desert

My bike has the Acerbis tank and heavier rear spring. I'm running a Trials tire now which has been a revelation ... it's just so good every where. Except the JD kit and Free Mods, all stock.

Any ideas appreciated.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 05-06-2013 at 07:50 PM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote