Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #61
3pin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Nice 'yota. We've got an '87 (22RE) with 206K miles. I rebuilt the motor 3 years ago due to one of the timing chain guides breaking, common problem with those. Otherwise it has been bulletproof. It definitely doesn't look as nice as yours, though!

I love old Toyota trucks and 4runners, I have had a few. This one has 214,000 miles, V6, 5 speed, 33x10.50 tires, Marlin crawler hd clutch, Blah, Blah, Blah. One of these days I will swap in a 3.4 motor from a newer Tacoma.

Okay, back on topic... Have any of you guys tried an MT43 in the front? It gets good reviews as a front tire. I also looked into the Hyde racing skid plate. That is exactly what I am looking for and about the same price as everything else out there.

Plated 03 WR250F

3pin screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 05:11 PM
3pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #62
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
Okay, back on topic... Have any of you guys tried an MT43 in the front? It gets good reviews as a front tire. I also looked into the Hyde racing skid plate. That is exactly what I am looking for and about the same price as everything else out there.

WHERE???? I've never heard it was even remotely decent on the front. Except for rock, like if you were riding Moab or something.

In any kind of loose terrain it will wash out. So singletrack is out, as is desert. Good on road I suppose.

Most fit the most aggressive knobby up front they can find, either for all dirt, or something DOT.

Same thing for the adventure bikes - just about anything will work on the rear, but a real knobby for up front for any kind of loose terrain.

The Hyde skid is very good. Lightweight and doesn't reflect motor noise like an aluminum will. They also don't hang up on jagged rocks like an aluminum will. Highly recommended.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #63
3pin
Adventurer

Chris,

I was suprised to see the good reviews at Motorcycle Superstore so I had to ask. Yeah, I want some knobs up front. Now I just need to decide on a Dot front tire and order them up.

Plated 03 WR250F
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #64
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
Chris,

I was suprised to see the good reviews at Motorcycle Superstore so I had to ask. Yeah, I want some knobs up front. Now I just need to decide on a Dot front tire and order them up.
They run them on trials bikes, but in my experience it's a different kind of riding than an enduro type machine. I rode 3 years competition observed trials with ATA, sportsman class. Middle of the pack, so I wasn't all that great, but it sure does teach you to read terrain and pick a line. Made me an expert trail rider.

I've run T63, Scorpion Rally, Karoo 2, scorpion XCMH, and Michelin Desert. These are all DOT front knobbies. I currently have the Mich desert on the front of my TE630 and like it a lot, I think it's the best offroad. It's not as good as the scorp rally on road but the rally is almost as good as the desert off, so they are kind of a toss up. I think for the money the scorp rally is about the best there is out there(about $72). If you search you'll find a lot of riders give it high marks.

The XCMH can be twitchy, but that's what I've got on the WR right now and it's fine but getting worn out. It's also a good price, about $72.

The others have closer spaced knobs and lower knob height which makes them really good on road, but not as good off. They are excellent 50-50 tires. If you ride more dirt the other tires are much better.

Another all-time favorite is the D606. Would be a great tire for the WR. They tend to cup and wear funny if ridden on road. Still poplular with the dualsport crowd, also kind of expensive but not any more than the mich desert - about $100. For my money the scorp rally costs less and works just as good if not better for me.

For the WR another to consider is the Michelin AC10. They don't make a bigger tire (90/90) for the bigger bikes, but for the smaller bike it's worth a try. Only comes in a 80/100 which is fine for the WR. Also a good price, and very aggressive knob. Same pattern as the desert, but the desert is heavier and bigger, better for the bigger bike, and it has a very stiff carcass so works great in desert on the 630. I think I'll try a AC10 on the WR next.

Rear tires are a whole 'nother can of worms. But if you run a trials then you don't have to sweat it.

More info on the MT43 here: www.stewardsofthesequoia.org
Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #65
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,901
From this weekend!

Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #66
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Those stair step sections are scary. We get a bit of that in our CA Sierra.
The WR does pretty good but a Trials bike would be better!

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #67
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Cool pics guys!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #68
3pin
Adventurer

Nice pics guys. The forest service just implemented stage 2 fire restrictions at Cedro peak (the place in my last pics) so it looks like I need to head up to Colorado.

I just ordered some new tires for the WR. Pirelli MT43 in the rear and I'm going to try. Pirelli MXH in the front, also got some new tubes and tire levers.

Plated 03 WR250F
Old 06-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #69
3pin
Adventurer

I got my new tires mounted up . I also changed my countershaft sprocket from the stock 13t to a 14t for a little more road speed.

I have a Tusk Dualsport kit installed on the bike I was having problems with it blowing fuses. I had it wired up with the stock tail light and figured out that the fuse would blow when I used the rear brake.

I ended up using the tusk LED tail light and a YZ rear fender. The new fender setup is cleaner now and no more blown fuses.

Plated 03 WR250F
Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #70
Olas
the darkness

Nice! Mind taking a shot of the whole bike?

Did you get an '03 YZ fender? Brand? I'm thinking about doing this so I have a better spot to mount the license plate when I register my bike.

Is that the Pro Moto Billet exhaust insert you have there? How do you like it?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #71
3pin
Adventurer

Here is a pic of the whole bike.

The fender is an Acerbis 03 YZ fender. You need to drill a hole for the tail light wiring but otherwise it bolts right up. You can buy the LED taillight from Rockymountainatv.com. I also got the fender from them.

I wanted to mount the plate sideways but have read a lot about people getting harassed for that so I used the rubber mount that was on the bike before.

The insert is the Pro Moto, it came with the bike. I also have the stock insert and it seems like this makes a little more power.

Plated 03 WR250F
Old 06-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #72
Olas
the darkness

Thank you!

The YZ fender looks much better, I may end up going that route. It looks like the Acerbis version already comes with the hole for the coolant overflow hoses, is that right?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #73
Olas
the darkness

24 hours on the motor since the rebuild.

I live in Colorado and have been riding almost all singletrack around 8000-11000 ft elevation.

I've messed with the jetting a little and found some settings that I am happy with. I am still running the stock leak jet, and feel that maybe I could use a smaller one to help get the off idle response a bit crisper...I can get it to bog if I try but for my type of riding it does fine for the most part.

I find myself riding in 2nd gear in the gnarly stuff, 3rd gear for faster stuff. 1st is only needed when stopped on a hill or in rocks.

MJ: 162
Pilot: 42
Needle: 3rd from top (one notch leaner from the middle position)
Leak jet: #90

The biggest thing that helped my off idle hesitation was to bump the pilot from a 40 to a 42 and replaced the stock AP spring with this one:

http://www.rockymoun...ion-Pump-Spring

It is exactly the same thing as the Merge Racing spring, except for it is $10 less.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #74
3pin
Adventurer

Olas,

Sorry, I haven't seen this thread for awhile, it gets buried pretty quickly. Yes the fender does have the hole for the coolant tank hoses, the fit is very good.

I haven't played with the jetting on my bike yet. The forests are all closed down here but I will be getting up to Durango soon and hope to do some of the passes.

Plated 03 WR250F
Old 06-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #75
qwiky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
the stock coolant resevoir is kindof an eyesore, i got rid of mine
qwiky is offline   Reply With Quote