Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #76
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Low End Grunt

Hi,

After a couple of years of riding DR350's, My girlfriend and I have decided to replace the DR's with newer, more modern bikes. Her bike sold and I may go look at a 09 WR250F this weekend. It would have to be lowered for sure. How does to low end power compare between the two? We dont wind them out, just casual 2 track, mudhole, and hillclimbs, ect. I would uncork it if it hasnt been done already.

Thanks,
Dave
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #77
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
A DR-350 will have more low-end torque because it's 100cc larger.
The WR-250F will still have enough, though, and I believe that as long as you accept the fact a 250cc engine probably won't have as much as a 350, you'll do just fine.

Personally, I'm still impressed with how torquey both of my WR-250Fs have been (2002 and 2009 models).
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #78
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
The 50-75lbs of weight is what makes all the difference. The WR has plenty of power for a 235lb bike.

They are way more 'snappy' than a DR. She'll love it.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #79
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Having owned both, I'd say there ain't no comparison. The WR is better in any and all aspects! IMHO

BTW Drew Smith at Works Enduro Rider lowered, re-sprung and re-valved my wife's WR and it works so good she won't even let me touch the adjusters.

http://www.werproducts.net/

sieg screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 05:24 AM
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #80
SSG B
Rounds complete

Oddometer: 569
n00b Question

I am currently riding a DRZ400E and am looking to make a change to a WR250F. On paper it appears to be a perfect bike for my type of riding. However, here comes the n00b question......Which year(s) are better than others? Are there some model years that should be avoided, or some that are more desirable? I know that at some point the frame went from steel to aluminum, and at some point E-start was added. I am looking for an E-start model for sure. At one point wasn't the F model a two smoke? I am looking for the 4 stroke version.

Please accept my apologies in advance if this causes internet fights over which is the best year. Please note, I did not ask what type of oil is best.

01 DRZ400E Tagged

SSG B screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 09:04 AM Reason: cleand up some ugly typo's to keep Klay off my back!
SSG B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #81
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG B View Post
I am currently riding a DRZ400E and am looking to make a change to a WR250F. On paper it appears to be a perfect bike for my type of riding. However, here comes the n00b question......Which year(s) are better than others? Are there some model years that should be avoided, or some that are more desirable? I know that at some point the frame went from steel to aluminum, and at some point E-start was added. I am looking for an E-start model for sure. At one point wasn't the F model a two smoke? I am looking for the 4 stroke version.

Please accept my apologies in advance if this causes internet fights over which is the best year. Please note, I did not ask what type of oil is best.
The change from steel to Alu frame happened with the 2007. I own that year. Beyond that, I don't know any specific changes or differences from year to year. Perhaps others here have a clue. I can tell you one thing ... the Alu frame makes working on the Carb a PITA.

I also owned the "E" model DRZ. Mine was not tagged. IMHO, the E was not good road bike unless just connecting trails. The WR250F is even worse. It's geared very low. On highway tops out at about 50 mph. Terrible. Perhaps it will pull taller gearing but I doubt it.

Off road it's a lighter, more nimble trail bike than the DRZ-E ... a great woods bike, IMHO. I liked my DRZ-E in Baja and our California Deserts. But in technical, steep Woods? It was TOUGH for me. I do better on the WR.
In the end, I wish I'd gone with the WR450F instead.

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #82
SSG B
Rounds complete

I ride the bike on the road to get to gas station and the trails. Don't much care to ride the pavement any more than I have to. The E is a capable bike in all aspects, but I am looking for something lighter.

Thank you for the insight. The 450 would be fun, but isn't the maintenance schedule a lot closer together?

Besides, those 450's I have heard are shit-your-pants-fast.

01 DRZ400E Tagged
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #83
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I ride the bike on the road to get to gas station and the trails. Don't much care to ride the pavement any more than I have to. The E is a capable bike in all aspects, but I am looking for something lighter.

Thank you for the insight. The 450 would be fun, but isn't the maintenance schedule a lot closer together?

Besides, those 450's I have heard are shit-your-pants-fast.
No, AFAIK, the maintenance is close to that of the WR250F. Both are extremely reliable dirt bikes.

YES! The WR450F is "shit your pants fast" ... but after you spend the day on one ... you quickly adapt. I'm an old guy ... so I like the massive torque of the 450. It means I ride a gear higher so the "Hit" doesn't toss me off.

No clutch fanning, no down shifting required on the 450. It's not as nimble as the 250F so if you blast through tight Woods at speed then perhaps the 250F is the better choice?

Honestly, try to ride them both, make your choice. I've swapped with buddies with 450's several times. I'm looking to move up ... even though I LOVE the slightly less weight of the 250 and light handling.

Because of less inertial rotating mass, the 250 "feels" much smaller and lighter than the 450, especially at slow speeds making quick, sharp turns. Take your pick, both are good.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #84
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:

Alu frame as mentioned in '07, and I think from '04 electric start. And yeah, I've had both frames and the steel one is a lot easier to service the motor.
Otherwise they're all the same. It was a home run from the get-go, now very slightly out-moded by KTM, albiet at almost twice the price. The KTM 250 is now a 350 and it's ten grand, but it does come street legal. For CA this is a biggie.

EDIT: if you're looking for a used one then service records are key. If the motor is serviced regularly and valves kept in spec they run a long time. If not they readily grenade. They'll rev to the moon so if it's not right it eats itself pretty fast.

It's also a 5spd and runs out of gears if you try to use it as a dualsport. For a plated dirtbike it's a pretty cool little machine. I put a 14T counter on ours and it'll cruise 65 no sweat.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #85
SSG B
Rounds complete

Darn it! Now you have me thinking that a 450F might be the "better" option (if there is such a thing as a better option). We rode some tight trails a few weeks ago in northern Minnesota and the individual leading us was on a new 450 and he was fast, very fast. He knew how to ride pretty damn well, so that helped, but he was smoking fast, right up until he ran out of gas!

So an '06 is the year to have....

01 DRZ400E Tagged

SSG B screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 12:55 PM Reason: Added stuff
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #86
SSG B
Rounds complete

Now who on here wants to trade an 01 DRZ400E with a plate for an '06 WR250F?

01 DRZ400E Tagged
Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #87
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Hi folks! My buddy wants to buy the '13 model. Are there any big differences since '07 when the alu frame was introduced?? He is leaning toward the exc 250, and i'am pushing towards the mummy Yama. Am i wrong??
Thanks!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #88
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Hi,

After a couple of years of riding DR350's, My girlfriend and I have decided to replace the DR's with newer, more modern bikes. Her bike sold and I may go look at a 09 WR250F this weekend. It would have to be lowered for sure. How does to low end power compare between the two? We dont wind them out, just casual 2 track, mudhole, and hillclimbs, ect. I would uncork it if it hasnt been done already.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the 09 has sold. There is a mint 03 with 150 miles on it for sale. A little older than I was looking for. He is asking 2500 but wouldnt pay more than 2k. Are the 03's electric start? Any 03 only things that need to be fixed? Pic below

39" seat height how far can this be lowered? yamalink, seatfoam,?

">
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)

divotdm screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 03:12 PM
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #89
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
Hi folks! My buddy wants to buy the '13 model. Are there any big differences since '07 when the alu frame was introduced?? He is leaning toward the exc 250, and i'am pushing towards the mummy Yama. Am i wrong??
Thanks!

If you live in an area where you can ride a 2-stroke, and you have the skill or want the punch of one, then yes, it's a more formidable bike. More on par with a 450 4-stroke.
While the WR is pretty punchy and fun to ride, excellent suspension, it's not quite an even match to a 250EXC. The smoker will pretty much kick it's ass. I think the model designation today is a 250XC or XCW, the latter with a wide ratio 6spd. Also now have electric start.
If he's going for a 2-stroke woods bike he should also look at the WR250 and 300 Husqvarna - save a bunch of dough. Probably a better bike too. Beta is going strong with smokers as well, and for the time being Husaberg. Sounds like KTM is going to merge 'berg back into husky - like it was twenty years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm
39" seat height how far can this be lowered? yamalink, seatfoam,?
If you're 5-8 or taller the bike doesn't need to be lowered. Proper sag setting drops them quite a lot and you spend all your time on the pegs anyway.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #90
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Which year(s) are better than others? Are there some model years that should be avoided, or some that are more desirable? I know that at some point the frame went from steel to aluminum, and at some point E-start was added. I am looking for an E-start model for sure. At one point wasn't the F model a two smoke? I am looking for the 4 stroke version.
Going from memory and some experience:

2001 (which was the first model year) and 2002 model WR-250Fs are very similar and look the same to the untrained eye.
Steel frame, big (by today's standards) 3.1 gallon fuel tank, and no electric start.
There's a manual decompressor lever on the handlebar that works exactly as the one on a 1978 TT-500E.
The 2002 model got a larger-diameter rear brake disc and a swingarm with a more slender taper toward the rear which was due to a new hydroform manufacturing technique.

2003 and 2004 models are practically identical and were changed from the previous years by having a slimmer, trimmer, sleeker, and more flat fuel tank and seat shape for improved rider movement, more like that of the YZ-250F motocross bike.
The trade-off is a half-gallon less fuel capacity.
Big news for most guys was the addition of electric start.
Airbox access through the left-hand side panel instead of removing the seat.
Subframe is aluminum.

2005 and 2006 models were changed with 48mm forks (vs. 46mm) and the shape of the seat and fuel tank was changed to supposedly lower the seat height a bit.
The 2006 model was the first to get the neat LCD digital speedomer/odometer/tripmeter.

2007 - 2013 models:
The big changes for 2007 was the aluminum frame and the all-new plastic bodywork.
Airbox side access panel was hinged with one Dzus fastener instead of completely removable with three fasteners.

Myself, I owned and rode a 2009 model for a bit over 2 years, and today, I own and ride a 2002 model.
Which do I think is the better machine?
Honestly, it's pretty much a toss-up as both have advantages over the other:
I like the added fuel capacity of the 2002 model (and back when I was a teen, all off-road bikes that weren't motocross bikes carried 3 gallons of gas) and 10 pounds less weight due to the lack of electric start parts, while the 2009 model looked more sleek and modern and had a better-shaped seat and fuel tank for rider mobility.
Both bikes have excellent rear suspension and decent-but-could-be-better forks.

About the 2-stroke:
There was a Yamaha 2-stroke called the WR-250Z that was in the USA from 1991 to 1996 (actually before 1991, because in 1989 and 1990, it was called the YZ-250WR).
It was, basically, a then-current YZ-250 with a big tank, a stator that had a lighting coil, different tranny ratios (hence the Wide Ratio designation), a round-slide Mikuni carburetor, and different colors.

My opinion on 250F vs. 450F off-road and on trails in the woods:
If the trails are tight, it's the 250 for me.
Like a fool, I HAD to have a 450, sold my street-registered 2009 WR-250F, got a 2009 Honda CRF-450X, and enjoyed the great power and torque but was annoyed by the considerably heavier and more ponderous feel in the slow and tight stuff.
That lasted eight months before I sold it and bought my current 2002 WR-250F.
All better now. :)
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote