User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #91
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,418
^^ Excellent. Same as I recall as well.

Sometime in there they got tapered bars, maybe with the aluminum frame. The bigger forks are a bit better. And auto-decomp - I imagine with the e-start.

And I agree, for a singletrack bike a 450 is NOT an advantage. Guys let their ego dictate their CC's. Dirtbikes just got bigger, and bigger, and bigger. To the point where now the real men buy 950 super enduros. Then they have to have a second lighter bike because it's such a PITA to ride anywhere but smooth terrain.

If you're on the fence try one out. I was always faster on my 250's in the woods than the guys with the bigger bikes. Hell, you never get out of second gear. When it gets really nasty you just plonk your way through, the bigger bikes take more muscle and they still stall.

Thank god for e-start, especially for the strokers. A smoker starts easy with a half-hearted kick. It was always kind of a joke to see them on the ktm smokers.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #92
SSG B
Rounds complete

Oddometer: 584
Thank you for all the information. For the type of riding I am going to be doing (woods, trails, ripping around the house) it sounds like the 250 is all I need. Yes, I said need.

So, no takers on a plated 01 DRZ400E for their 06'ish WR? It has radiator guards, Tonns skid plate, some brand of hand guards, case savers, back up kick start (which is awesome because it needs a new battery), Baja Designs kit, and some other stuff I am forgetting.

01 DRZ400E Tagged
SSG B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #93
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
If you live in an area where you can ride a 2-stroke, and you have the skill or want the punch of one, then yes, it's a more formidable bike. More on par with a 450 4-stroke.
While the WR is pretty punchy and fun to ride, excellent suspension, it's not quite an even match to a 250EXC. The smoker will pretty much kick it's ass. I think the model designation today is a 250XC or XCW, the latter with a wide ratio 6spd. Also now have electric start.
If he's going for a 2-stroke woods bike he should also look at the WR250 and 300 Husqvarna - save a bunch of dough. Probably a better bike too. Beta is going strong with smokers as well, and for the time being Husaberg. Sounds like KTM is going to merge 'berg back into husky - like it was twenty years ago.

If you're 5-8 or taller the bike doesn't need to be lowered. Proper sag setting drops them quite a lot and you spend all your time on the pegs anyway.
Thanks for replying. I wasn't clear enough. I meant no smoker, but exc250Four. Are there any real disadvantages of having a carburator compared to the efi that exc has?

Old 06-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #94
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-cosmic View Post
Thanks for replying. I wasn't clear enough. I meant no smoker, but exc250Four. Are there any real disadvantages of having a carburator compared to the efi that exc has?
Yes, it helps if you know your nomenclature.

Before 2007 there was a 250exc four stroke that was a dog - can't give those away. That was the old RFS motor, basically a sleeved down 400. They could never get any performance out of those - if you're shopping in that vintage you want the 400EXC.

In '07 the RC5 motor was introduced in the 250 known as the XCF and XCWF. Close and wide ratio gearbox. I had a '07 XCFW - fantastic bike. Quite a bit more bike in terms of motor and suspension than the WR.

The old 250EXC's were 2-strokes. The later (2000 - up) 400/450/525/530 EXC's are all four strokes. All good bikes too although a little heavier than the WR. All are more powerful, not as good for tight singletrack in the woods. Out of that list the 400 is arguably the best for a smaller rider. It is less fatiguing and more mild than the bigger versions - it had a very short stroke motor that revved fast and was quite snappy.

KTM dropped the 250 for '13, there is now the 350 and 500 EXC-F to replace all of the street legal dualsports. Both are EFI and both are state of the art for a plated dirtbike. Generally I would say 350 for the under-200lbs rider and the 500 for experts and larger stature riders. The 350 is a punched out version of the old 250 motor. Enough good cannot be said about these bikes - they are as good as it gets. Really no comparison to the dated design of the WR. But at a very high cost.

And yes, EFI is the shiznit. No tuning for elevation or temp - they always start and run right. The downside is a delicate fuel pump, and electronic engine controls. No more simple carb cleaning or jetting.

My 2007 250XCFW (sold)

Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #95
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It looks like the 09 has sold. There is a mint 03 with 150 miles on it for sale. A little older than I was looking for. He is asking 2500 but wouldnt pay more than 2k. Are the 03's electric start? Any 03 only things that need to be fixed? Pic below

39" seat height how far can this be lowered? yamalink, seatfoam,?

">
Well the guy with the 03 didnt accept my offer, so I made the same offer for an 06, and to my surprise, he accepted it. 8 hour round trip, got it home. Its in great shape, seems low mile, clean, but needs carb cleaned. Already ripped apart.

">
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #96
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,915
Nice . The '06 is the most desirable of the steel frames, since it was the last year for those.

I love my '03, but wouldn't mind having a nice, clean '06.

Make sure you check the linkage and shock bearings. If they're not dried up and rusty already, you'll be glad you did. If they are, well, plan on replacing them and then checking them at least 2 times a year (+- depending on where you ride).

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Well the guy with the 03 didnt accept my offer, so I made the same offer for an 06, and to my surprise, he accepted it. 8 hour round trip, got it home. Its in great shape, seems low mile, clean, but needs carb cleaned. Already ripped apart.

">
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #97
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Yes, it helps if you know your nomenclature.

Before 2007 there was a 250exc four stroke that was a dog - can't give those away. That was the old RFS motor, basically a sleeved down 400. They could never get any performance out of those - if you're shopping in that vintage you want the 400EXC.

In '07 the RC5 motor was introduced in the 250 known as the XCF and XCWF. Close and wide ratio gearbox. I had a '07 XCFW - fantastic bike. Quite a bit more bike in terms of motor and suspension than the WR.

The old 250EXC's were 2-strokes. The later (2000 - up) 400/450/525/530 EXC's are all four strokes. All good bikes too although a little heavier than the WR. All are more powerful, not as good for tight singletrack in the woods. Out of that list the 400 is arguably the best for a smaller rider. It is less fatiguing and more mild than the bigger versions - it had a very short stroke motor that revved fast and was quite snappy.

KTM dropped the 250 for '13, there is now the 350 and 500 EXC-F to replace all of the street legal dualsports. Both are EFI and both are state of the art for a plated dirtbike. Generally I would say 350 for the under-200lbs rider and the 500 for experts and larger stature riders. The 350 is a punched out version of the old 250 motor. Enough good cannot be said about these bikes - they are as good as it gets. Really no comparison to the dated design of the WR. But at a very high cost.

And yes, EFI is the shiznit. No tuning for elevation or temp - they always start and run right. The downside is a delicate fuel pump, and electronic engine controls. No more simple carb cleaning or jetting.

My 2007 250XCFW (sold)

Tnx again browneye. ;)
I wasn't aware that they dropped the 250. Back here in Croatia, KTM is 2700$ more expensive than WR. Moatly because we get non street legal WR's. My 450 '12 is same as Katos... 12700$.
Io guess WR is the way to go for our kind of slow rocky s/trails.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #98
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Curious why he accepted my offer and I got it rather cheap, I tore in to the 06 today. It is completely stock except for the exhaust baffle is gone. The WR throttle stop screw is still stock. Carb only opens 3/4. He said he was going to trade it in at a dealer, but decided to sell it instead. I am guessing the dealer quoted him a price for required maintenance/parts, and he bailed. Here's what I found;

Valves need re-shim
Carb dirty, fuel pisses out overflow
needs tires (i believe original tires on bike)
leaking fork seal

What I have ordered;

JD Jet Kit
Yamalink lowering link
GYTR Performance Quiet Muffler Insert
GYTR AIS Kit
OEM Rubber Carb Intake (carb to head)
Tires to get local
Fork Seals/ suspension tune/Set up at local shop

The rest looks good. I would have done most of this stuff anyways. Should be ready to rock next weekend

Thanks,
Dave
06 WR250F
Old 06-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #99
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Way to get it all dialed in.

Beware of the JD jetting though - they are notoriously too rich. Mine would just not run right with his recommended main jets. It's back to the stock 168.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #100
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

This Thing Rocks!!!

Got it all sorted out, getting tires this week. I think I am going to have trouble keeping up with her on my DR350.... This thing is so light, and fast, and handles awesome ( in yard, compared to the DR). Can't wait to give it a real workout

">http://

Thanks,
Dave
06 WR250F
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #101
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,392
Quote:
Generally I would say 350 for the under-200lbs rider and the 500 for experts and larger stature riders.
I get through 93 posts, thinking the 250f might be the next bike for me, and then read a comment like this.

I can't find too many big guys that ride the 250f, but then again I can't find too many gig guys that ride really tough trails (225#+).

My experience is growing up putting around on 70s trail bikes and then 7 years ago buying a 2k1 KX250, which I stupidly dumped a ton of money into making it a trail bike. But I rode the piss out of it all over the east cost from Mass to FL and even ran a hare scramble finishing mid pack in C class. I ended up trading the bike for a 525MXC when I was living in CA which was a great bike for riding Hollister, Metcalf and dunes but when I took it to Forest Hill in the Sierras, I just about died from heat exhaustion from riding that pig. I grew a huge new found respect for mountain single track riding, that stuff made me feel like a n00b!

I live in the National Forest in the Rockies now and the trails here are even gnarlier than in the Sierras and I know a 450 will wear me out. I'm just a bit nervous about the 250f losing too much power at altitude and not making it up some of the hill climbs with my fat ass on it. My other bikes of consideration are a KDX220 and possibly another KTM but they're just so expensive around here. I've been contemplating my next dirt bike since leaving CA and the 525 nearly 2 years ago.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #102
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

It's a lot punchier than a KDX, handles better too. Close, but the WR has an edge, probably just in technology even though it's kind of an old design.

For really gnarly singletrack nothing can replace lightness in a bike - not all the horsepower in the world.

If you're a heavier rider you'll need to re-spring it and keep the stock gearing. It's considerably more mild than your KTM, but easier to ride all day. They don't wear you out. The 08 up suspension is really plush. Pop for some stiffer springs and you're golden.

If you need more power and punch then get a KTM 250 like I had with a BB kit on it. If money is no object then the new 350. Or a TE310. There's an Athena kit for the WR too I think, but it can make them fiddly.

I'd recommend just get a stock WR setup right and go trailriding and not worry about it. You can get a very competent trail ready setup for not a lot of money. Go test ride one and see if it'll pull wheelies for you.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #103
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I get through 93 posts, thinking the 250f might be the next bike for me, and then read a comment like this.

I can't find too many big guys that ride the 250f, but then again I can't find too many gig guys that ride really tough trails (225#+).
Plenty of big guys ride smaller bikes. The ones that do well are usually in decent shape. If you're out of shape ... you can't really fault the bike. Any bike is going to work you hard ... and much harder if you're not in shape.

I'm out of shape too and really suffer on the tougher trails in and around Forest Hill. Ridden there many times. I'm doing more strength training and trying to lose some weight. Very tough.

If you don't need a plate and only ride the bike off road ... why not a nice two stroke? Lighter and more powerful than any 250F four stroke. Cheaper too ... and easier maintenance.

As you know ... it takes some work to make a Moto Cross race bike into a good trail bike. I did exactly that for my whole AMA Enduro days. (8 years) KX's and YZ 250's. heavier fly wheel, suspension work, tuning.

I now own a WR250F and do OK on it. But to make it through tough sections I need to ride pretty aggressively ... which sometimes ends up not going well. But it's all on me ... not the bike. At times I'd like more torque and HP. The 250F means you've got to be in the right gear, fanning the clutch and maintaining momentum and hitting your shifts well. Basic riding really.

But getting in shape is most important of all. Trail riding isn't really an old mans game and to do so and not get hurt ... having the fitness really makes a difference.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #104
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,392

I'm leaning heavily towards the WR. Any bike I've owned needed a respring it's always my first mod. It always amazes me when I ride with guys that haven't even set their sag by cranking in more preload but have a full exhaust system on their bike

Springs and a trials tire are all I want to do to any bike I get, budget is <$3k ,if it were no object I'd probably be at the ktm dealer getting a new one, but one of those costs more than i spent on my 12GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

I'm out of shape too and really suffer on the tougher trails in and around Forest Hill. Ridden there many times. I'm doing more strength training and trying to lose some weight. Very tough.

If you don't need a plate and only ride the bike off road ... why not a nice two stroke? Lighter and more powerful than any 250F four stroke. Cheaper too ... and easier maintenance.

As you know ... it takes some work to make a Moto Cross race bike into a good trail bike. I did exactly that for my whole AMA Enduro days. (8 years) KX's and YZ 250's. heavier fly wheel, suspension work, tuning.
I 100% agree with you on all points.

I've looked around for a cheap YZ but the ones here I've seen that are under 2k are beat and a cleaner one at 2500-3k will still need the flywheel weight and a spark arrestor (a must here). At that point I'd be in deeper than a Wr and potentially in KTM territory. Even after the woods mods to a MX bike, it's still a more challenging bike to ride. Locally theres over a dozen WRs under $3k many right around $2k which is about the same as the handful of KDX220s; a bike I know would suit my needs and be cheap, but the suspension is what, 2 generations behind a WR?

I'm working on getting my fitness better, mainly so I can get an epic ski season in next year. It no doubt affects any track or trail riding ability.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 09:21 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #105
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
>snip
Trail riding isn't really an old mans game and to do so and not get hurt ... having the fitness really makes a difference.
^^This.

35 miles of single track is harder for me than 400 miles of twisty roads. My days on trails are numbered, that's why the KTM went. The WR is really my son's bike but he's too busy getting started to college. So, I have it if I get a group that just twists my arm to show them some trails.

Dukeryder knows his stuff, you'll figure it out. But Grifter has a point, I'd get a KTM 250EXC smoker, cheap, and just restore it. They were great trailbikes.

BTW, my old GasGas dealer is selling his personal EC300. Low time, great shape, now that would be one helluva trail machine. I told him it wasn't worth much in CA without a plate.

Here's a pic of my son and I in Los Padres north of LA. This was a couple of years ago and he was already bigger than me - he's 17 here, 6-1 185lbs. The bike is the newer '08 one we had, pics earlier in the thread here.
I don't really look 55 here, right????