User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #106
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
If you don't need a plate and only ride the bike off road ... why not a nice two stroke? Lighter and more powerful than any 250F four stroke. Cheaper too ... and easier maintenance.

As you know ... it takes some work to make a Moto Cross race bike into a good trail bike. I did exactly that for my whole AMA Enduro days. (8 years) KX's and YZ 250's. heavier fly wheel, suspension work, tuning.
Well that's the route I ended up going. I scored a low time 2006 RM 250 for way less than any 2006 WR250. It already has the FWW a desert tank and the suspension revalved. I just need to swap springs and I'll be good to go.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #107
MartiniUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
^^This.

35 miles of single track is harder for me than 400 miles of twisty roads. My days on trails are numbered, that's why the KTM went. The WR is really my son's bike but he's too busy getting started to college. So, I have it if I get a group that just twists my arm to show them some trails.

Dukeryder knows his stuff, you'll figure it out. But Grifter has a point, I'd get a KTM 250EXC smoker, cheap, and just restore it. They were great trailbikes.

BTW, my old GasGas dealer is selling his personal EC300. Low time, great shape, now that would be one helluva trail machine. I told him it wasn't worth much in CA without a plate.

Here's a pic of my son and I in Los Padres north of LA. This was a couple of years ago and he was already bigger than me - he's 17 here, 6-1 185lbs. The bike is the newer '08 one we had, pics earlier in the thread here.
I don't really look 55 here, right????

55??? your just a child, quit the whining and get back out on those trails, you can go to a roadcouch or golf cart when you get old. That starts about 80.
MartiniUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #108
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Hey, just my 2 cents for anyone contemplating a technical trail bike..
I nominate the KDX200 or 220. If you're an advanced rider stick some USD's on the front (easy to do, most cost about $400 or so) or just make sure the springs are right (they come too light for most) in the stock forks if you're not too experienced.

For a few bucks, a 220 will put out nearly 38 HP with great grunt- nice run out, and no big hit, weighs less than 220 lbs with the aftermarket exhaust ($300 for pipe and silencer).

The bike is not too tall, has a wider more comfortable seat, and with the above mods is capable of everything an expert rider can throw at it on technical trails. You just need to look real mean at the kickstarter and it will start on its own... well, almost.

I've owned many 250 smokers, open bikes, thumpers and finally settled on the mighty KDX for the black diamond trails I love.

I have two of them - about three grand in each with full suspension mods, engine mods etc. That's how cheap they are to get just about anywhere. They made zillions of them and parts are easy to get.

My modded KDX's ran circles around my modded CRF250X, my late-model souped up WR250F, and even my off-road modified KX250 (in the tight stuff). BTW, those bikes are all sold cause I didn't ride them enough.

Anyhoo... just pitch'n my favorite bike.

PS I wish I was still 55....!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #109
wvdirtbiker
MILES2GO

Oddometer: 195
No Lights - Advice Needed

Just picked up a well used 2005 WR-250F and haven't been able to get the lights working. Not a flicker from either light (with engine running).

I've been researching over on TT and haven't found a solution yet. This is apparently not a common problem.

The bulbs look and test good. I replaced the headlight socket with a new H4 socket.

I did find where the output of the AC Magneto lighting coil should be a maximum of 14.7V AC to be measured at the yellow wire before it enters the rectifier/regulator. I plan to do this test in the morning.

Is there something else I should be checking?

I'm checking the voltage at the first connector from the magneto. If there is no voltage there, I plan to strip the yellow wire where it comes out of the magneto cover. At that point, I'll assume the lighting coil is bad and have nothing to loose by stripping that wire.

It's difficult to believe that the lighting coil would be bad. Not that they cannot go bad but it's apparently a very rare problem.

I do notice that there are a few wraps of electrical tape around the wires that come out of the magneto cover. Is that factory stock?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
wvdirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #110
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvdirtbiker View Post
I do notice that there are a few wraps of electrical tape around the wires that come out of the magneto cover. Is that factory stock?
Yes.

I'd check the basics that are needed to have lights:

All wires and connections.
Health of the stator windings.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #111
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,243
I have this for a wr250F in the parts section, Acerbis tank, new !
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post22193836
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #112
alpha.eightMG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Have a '12 WR250F that only sees the dirt. Love it.
alpha.eightMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #113
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,263
I think the 250F is an awesome bike too. My wife has an 07 and in many places its more fun than my WR450F. I just wish it had a 6th gear!!!! Hers is plated but its pretty much screaming over 55mph.

I think a 6 speed, plated 250F would be a really awesome bike (and yes I know all about the WR250R).
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #114
MNKeith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've had my new to me '01 plated F for a little bit now, definitely a good decision. Sees 90% dirt. Have done most of the free/YZF mods and have the carb rejetted/sorted pretty well. Love the powerband. Will probably upgrade to a decomp cam and then depending how I like that, could see moving to e-start at some point.

'01 WR250F
MNKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #115
totallyfree
n00b

Oddometer: 5

Heres my new '06 WR250f, im pretty new to dirt riding but been on the road for a long time. Having so much fun on this thing, its very easy to ride. The only mods it has are the free ones and thats it. 2000k's on it and in pretty good nick!

All I have planned for it is the try and find a stock baffle for the exhaust, I ride early in the morning close to where people live and dont want to piss too many off! anyone know where I can get one? :)
totallyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #116
dhilt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Sorry to be a total tool. I am hijacking this thread. I have searched and searched for a WR450F thread. I can't find one. Does anyone know if there is one? Just to fair, I really should be riding a 250.
dhilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #117
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Naw, these aren't really 'adventure bikes' so they don't get much attention. You can join in with yer 450.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #118
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,500
WR250F in Big Bend

Last February.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #119
TacoYama
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14

7/12/2014 - Corona Pass (Rollins Pass) Continental Divide ride with my 01' WR250F. Such a beautiful day out. The bike passed out at the top of the hill. LEt is sit for about 20 minutes, and then had to kick and kick to get it going again.
TacoYama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #120
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Selling mine...

Just a FYI - get it before the CL scrounges do...

ADV Flea Market listing: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post24633558

photo DSC04729.jpg