User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #196
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,267
Few more pictures from last night and this morning

Our little neighbour behind our tent...just love how they flap their tails before diving. Makes a big THUMPing noise but not so nice at night.

In the tent before we went to sleep or tried to go to sleep....it was freezing out and we did the best we could to stay warm. Cheryl looks very feminine in this picture!Dainty like....she is going to kill me for posting that!

the obvious

After the brief freak storm we got a decent rainbow behind the tent

There are barn swallow nests all over here....and btw...Toad River is open all year long and they say because they are in a dry area they get only about 2 feet of snow a year. Such a great location.

Waiting for Cheryl to wake up so we can eat and get back on the road.

soph9 screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 07:27 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:22 AM   #197
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
You are on the road again

I remember when you first bought the F650gs! Now two brand new Tigers? Fantastic!

How time flies
borrowed Triumph's not ours yet
Old 07-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #198
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,466
We saw lots of Bears while riding in to Watson lake,couple BIG grizzlys just wanting to eat berrys and be left alone,seems like we were stopping to ogle bears on a regular basis.
The German that was riding with us wanted to sneak up close for a good bear picture,the 700 lb Grizz stood up and growled real loud and scurried around then ran into the woods,then he came back out and was still pissed off.
Stupid thing to do but no one could stop him from approaching bears for close up shots.
Natural law of selection at work.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #199
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Triumph accessory.
Though IMO the SWmotech one is better as it covers the oil filter.
yippers we have the Triumph skid plate or as they like to call it, SUMP guard.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #200
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Triumph accessory.
Though IMO the SWmotech one is better as it covers the oil filter.
The oil filter looks pretty protected there...and you can still get at it to change it.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #201
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Question Need ADVISE

Need help diagnosing a problem. When we got the "service" done we made the dealer aware both bikes when doing slow turns with clutch and rear brakes being used the bikes made a grinding noise and we both could hear it and feel it. We were told the brake pads needed to be broken in. We said nope. They said yep. The noise and vibration is getting worse.

Any ideas?

soph9 screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 05:13 PM
Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #202
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 271
Cry Brake pads

Hi . i have had the same grinding on a bike and found that the pads where to hard and started to wear the disc .I changed the pads and no mre trouble The vibration might be from the pads ??????????? possably some hard spots on the disc.
Get on line andgoggle the fault , if there is any trouble with the brakes it will come up .
You are correct and should look futhere in to it .
Tezza
Great ride RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Need help diagnosing a problem. When we got the "service" done we made the dealer aware both bikes when doing slow turns with clutch and rear brakes being used the bikes made a grinding noise and we both could hear it and feel it. We were told the brake pads needed to be broken in. We said nope. They said yep. The noise and vibration is getting worse.

Any ideas?
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #203
dsrydr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Do the rotors look ok, any wear on them yet? Did you bring an extra set of pads for the rear. Seems I've read that the haul road up there can wear out rear pads quick. Not that is what caused your problem at this point, but something to keep an eye on. Put the bike on the center stand and spin the wheel while playing with the brake. See or hear anything strange?

Do a good google search. If both bikes are doing it surely you can find someone posting about the problem. Can you find a bike shop and try a different set of pads, whatever brand, something different than what's on there.

That's all I got. Good luck.
dsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #204
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

WE have back up pads

we are playing around with the pre-load....but can not get to the dampening thingy. Might have to do with that??? We have been riding on factory presets. The bike went into the shop with our luggage on and we forgot to check the preload. So, we have set that according to the manual but I just made the bike duplicate the "problem". Nothing on google so far and no one is answering my question on this forum on the Tiger thread.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #205
dsrydr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Were the bikes loaded when you had the problem in the beginning? If not, MAYBE not having enough preload is making it worse or causing a problem.? You should try to get the preload right either way just to help the bike handle right when you hit the rougher roads.

Are the extra set of pads OEM ( same as what's on the bike)? If they are not I would try them on one of the bikes and see if it helps.

Do the rotors look good?

People here in the US are probably out watching fireworks.

dsrydr screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 08:31 PM
dsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #206
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

rotors look good we do think it was the preload and dampening...although my bike still has something..we will see tomorrow after we wash the bikes etc...thanks for trying to help and OH yeah Happy 4th. The new pads are EBC
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #207
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
loosen the chain a bit?
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #208
angellr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Ladies,

What an incredible journey! Those Triumphs look great! I am normally a test-ride dummy (happened with current R12R) and have stayed OFF of the Triumphs for this reason. Will be curious to see how well the gel seats work out for the two of you.

Couple of camping questions, what mattress do you use under your bags? White gas? Did you bring any bear repellent with you on this trip? Planning a not-so-elaborate trip in August and will be doing ALOT of camping as well. Thanks.

-Bob-

Also, subscribed!
angellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #209
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Having issues logging into the forum via my laptop and even have an update to post.

We use Thermarest pads and they rock. For our stove we have a good supply of white gas but the stove also takes reg gas too. The gel seats have been awesome so far and no pain or pressure points after 3000km. We love that.

We have hit wicked head winds and the bikes are only getting around 290km out of take. Barely 6L per 100 K. We need better than that for today even though we are bringing extra gas. Will be interesting to see if we can make it to Ross River with the fuel we have.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #210
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3doug View Post
loosen the chain a bit?
My thoughts. Folks tend to run chains way too tight. I like to run on the loose end of spec. Better on the sprockets.
Bizarre that the problem is the same on both bikes. Drop anchor till you get it sorted.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote