Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #256
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,598
Enjoying the story so far and I'm glad y'all are having a good time!

You don't think 30 +/- psi is a little stiff? I am certainly no expert, but I feel a lot more comfortable on dirt when my tires are in the low 20's psi and sometimes lower. The tires just seem to hook up better.

Tell Cheryl the Sour Toe drink is just gross! I can only imagine the story behind how one procures a human toe and why anyone would want to drink a drink that has touched it!!!!

Keep up the good work!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #257
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,275
I agree 30+ might seem high but we have over 100lbs of luggage and we need to be able to get decent gas mileage too. Fine line between being best for off roading and making it to the next fuel stop up here.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #258
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
I agree 30+ might seem high but we have over 100lbs of luggage and we need to be able to get decent gas mileage too. Fine line between being best for off roading and making it to the next fuel stop up here.
I would think that running 30+ on the dirt would seriously deter handling especially with a more aggressive tire... I {with a lighter bike mind you} find 25-28 psi to be about max for loaded bike including passenger on all road surfaces... When you get over the 30 PSI the tire rides on the round and may not flex enough to conform to the road, this is especially true on the re-enforced carcass big bike tires... Try airing down on the dirt and see if your ride feels safer and more controlled...

Best control for fuel economy is that twisty thing in your right hand...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #259
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,443
What do Triumph and the tire maker specify for inflation pressure with that load under these driving conditions? That should be your starting point.

IMO, of course.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #260
suecanada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Good decision!

I for one applaud your decision re the Dempster with the iffy weather. As I gaze at the road pics I can feel a knot forming in my stomach! I sure do admire you two that you even took on this road at all. Brings back memories of that horrible feeling when you just keep saying.."just get me outta here". I know the need to relax and be steady but boy that is hard to do sometimes when the 'little guy on your shoulder' keeps up a continuous rant of 'please lord, get this over with!". Good on ya!!!
suecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #261
Supahflid
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:
Roger that and I am not trying to muck up the thread with useless stuff! Ride safe and I'm looking forward to the next installment. Back to reading more and posting less!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #262
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 381
Wise Decesion

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecanada View Post
I for one applaud your decision re the Dempster with the iffy weather. As I gaze at the road pics I can feel a knot forming in my stomach! I sure do admire you two that you even took on this road at all. Brings back memories of that horrible feeling when you just keep saying.."just get me outta here". I know the need to relax and be steady but boy that is hard to do sometimes when the 'little guy on your shoulder' keeps up a continuous rant of 'please lord, get this over with!". Good on ya!!!
I was also going to ride the Dempster last week, but made the decision based on the weather reports to not do so. I had gone all the way to Prudhoe Bay on Dalton, mostely in bad weather, and between the wet roads due to rain and the soft wet road due to areas of construction it was really tough, lots of rain, some snow, and dense fog in Atigun pass and up towards Deadhorse. I spent many hours at 20 MPH on the Dalton where I just could not see let alone find the best line to avoid the deeper gravel & potholes.

I am guessing that the Dempster is about the same when the weather & the construction crews are not being your friend

Back at the dorms I chatted with a rider with broken ribs & a totaled bike from a crash on the Dalton. At Adventure Cycleworks I saw a bike that had gone over a sizable bank on the Dalton. The rider was doing well but flew home. The bike had to be trucked back to Fairbanks.

These roads are worth our respect and not to be ridden on lightly especially when the weather is wet. I honor you guys for having the courage to draw the line for your own safety and enjoyment when it feels right to do so.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #263
EWood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Ladies, Loving the report! I especially love the Dawson City part. It always seems that you meet such interesting people in off the beaten path places and ADV riding takes us. Keep up the great work and i am so jealous.... I would love to take a month off work and just ride. Take care and be safe.

EWood screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 06:35 PM
EWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #264
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
Yay that your mechanical issue is cured! I forgot to mention in my post last night that I had asked at The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage (had to go there anyway for something) if they might have any ideas as to what the issue could be. They basically scratched their heads and said they'd really need to have a look at the bikes; they've had no reported problems from others about the bike. Anyway good to hear it's a non issue now.

Kathy

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #265
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Boy, i like that. I think ill get them.
Quote:
These little things are doing a great job protecting our front fork seals. Ran into a guy on a KTM and he just blew one seal on his bike. He is kicking himself that he did not install protectors on his bike for his Alaska trip and the Dempster highway.

TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #266
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
Boy, i like that. I think ill get them.
Did you have to install them, or did Triumph just toss them in with the bikes?
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #267
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Did you have to install them, or did Triumph just toss them in with the bikes?
I went to the website. Its an incredibly easy install. You do not have to remove the wheel. Its a simple wrap system.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #268
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 229
wheel alignment/chain adjustment

Quote:
Not blaming anyone but I wonder ow this happened? Maybe we ride the same and loosened up on our travels?
I'm not blaming anyone either but... it's pretty easy to get the alignment correct so someone either didn't know what they were doing or was very sloppy with their work.
Of course both of you know how to adjust your bike's chains yourselves, right? I'd think with the amount or riding and mileage you're putting on these bikes you'd be adjusting them at least every week if not sooner.
At least the mystery's solved and it's something that should not happen again now that you know what to look for.

Happy Trails,
dc
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #269
ADVwnbe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Subscribed

Good luck with the Dempster!
ADVwnbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #270
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,275
Survived the Dempster

Will post an update another night but let me tell you this...a rider lost his life yesterday on the Dempster. Today we rode in piss pouring rain from about 40 KM outside Eagle Plains and skated all the way down. This road is so beautiful in the nice weather but it is the most technically challenged riding we have ever done for almost 350 KM. We made it, no dumps and in one piece. Would I do it again..? Maybe not. Was it worth it? Yes.....but seriously this is not a road to screw around with in the rain.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote