Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #451
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 229
Purple rim!

Cool!
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #452
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,210
Hey Girls...great report ! What an adventure !!!

I'm a rocket scientist (missile actually...no really) and there is no way, no how, not even would I ever EVER get into that type of airplane to fly at that elevation over that type of terrain. Nope...nope....(squeek)..ya got bigger balls than me !!!

I tip my hat to you.
You ladys be careful......
Old 07-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #453
ksnak
Duc Gal

Oddometer: 134
Cheryl and Leslie - Not to belabor the point or be a fear monger but here are the details of two crashes that happened on the Sterling Highway last night. The motorcyclists who were killed were well known by some (not me) in the riding community and were avid about riding safely. Just please be careful and watch out for the careless/reckless/distracted drivers on that road.

adn.com | Infant among three killed in Sterling Highway crashes
Infant among three killed in Sterling Highway crashes By LISA DEMER ldemer@adn.com ... The Anchorage Daily News (www.adn.com) http://www.adn.com/.../infant-among-...-sterling.html

Regards,

Kathy

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi

ksnak screwed with this post 07-23-2011 at 04:38 PM
ksnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #454
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,661
bad link: http://www.adn.com/2011/07/23/198181...-sterling.html

The news photos of the bike and of the Jeep are frightening.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #455
dugal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Outstanding trip repor!t! The amount of commentary and detail is unbelievable. Question: Since you've been BMW F650 riders for a while and have now experienced the Tigers, would you have made the same trip with your BMWs? Also, are you thinking about trading the BMWs for the Tigers? One last question, did you use regular or premium fuel? Thanks for the awesome accounts of your trip and envy for those of us that dream of such a trip.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #456
dsrydr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Tragic news on the accident. Very sad.

The dirt in the air box is not good! Looks like a foam filter is a must riding those conditions. I have been thinking of replacing the paper filter in the F650 with a foam/oil filter. Seeing this solidified my concerns.

Thanks again for the report. Enjoy the break while the bikes are being worked on. Ride safe.
dsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #457
Liebchen & Izzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I like the rim of ewans

I'll feel like a dork but I wanna see it to
There are no bad roads... just bad bikes.
Liebchen & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #458
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugal View Post
Outstanding trip repor!t! The amount of commentary and detail is unbelievable. Question: Since you've been BMW F650 riders for a while and have now experienced the Tigers, would you have made the same trip with your BMWs? Also, are you thinking about trading the BMWs for the Tigers? One last question, did you use regular or premium fuel? Thanks for the awesome accounts of your trip and envy for those of us that dream of such a trip.
In a lot of places you have no choice but to use what they have for gas. 87 a lot of times. The bikes ask for 91 but we have been varying the grade based on location and also anticipating that "bad" gas up north we ran 87 a lot int he beginning. Now we have access to at least 90 and add that once in awhile.

Not sure what we will do next about bikes. We really like the Tigers enough that they could be our next bikes. Our Beemers are great and paid for so after the cost of this trip I doubt we will be switching brands anytime soon.

And yes, we would have made the trip with our Beemers no problem.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #459
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
In a lot of places you have no choice but to use what they have for gas. 87 a lot of times. The bikes ask for 91 but we have been varying the grade based on location and also anticipating that "bad" gas up north we ran 87 a lot int he beginning. Now we have access to at least 90 and add that once in awhile.

Not sure what we will do next about bikes. We really like the Tigers enough that they could be our next bikes. Our Beemers are great and paid for so after the cost of this trip I doubt we will be switching brands anytime soon.

And yes, we would have made the trip with our Beemers no problem.

Could you carry bottles of octane booster ?....just a thought I don't really know much about it; maybe others here can inform us all.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #460
ksnak
Duc Gal

Well . . . I've had one person send me a private message saying I should not have posted about last night's wreck(s) a second time with the news story attached, as doing so was indeed being a fear monger. For the record, I live in Anchorage and have lost count of the number of times I've ridden my motorcycle - and vehicle - up and down that road completely without incident. There have also been a handful of times I've had to dodge or avoid irresponsible drivers, and was thankful I was alert enough to see what was coming to do so. Those of us who live in Alaska know all too well that road's reputation over the years. Having said this, Cheryl and Leslie you are both quite obviously extremely astute and skilled riders, and didn't need me to sound alarms or tell you to be careful. It wasn't my intention to and I apologize if I put a damper on your wonderful RR. I know you are going to have a fun and great ride your rest of the way!

Cheers,

Kathy

Out beyond ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there. Rumi
Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #461
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Kathy no worries. We know where you are coming from and appreciate it!

Gary is recommending we use SeaFoam. We might just give the bikes a drink before we leave.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #462
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Diagnosis & Hopeful Fix for Tiger Stalling Problems

July 23rd 2011

IF ANYONE READING THIS FINDS THE SERVICE DONE AND INFO USEFUL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COPY AND PASTE THE INFO ON YOUR OWN FORUMS. THANKS!

We got the call this morning from The Motorcycle Shop here in Anchorage that our bikes were ready for pick up. After about 5 hours of labour on each bike the report on the street was that they appear to be fixed and have no stalling issues after the bikes were tested at the shop.

While waiting for the paperwork we met Richard from South Dakota. Richard is a solo rider heading up the Dempster on his BMW 1200GSA. Nice guy for sure. We gave him some info about camping and lodging and he told us about his bad knees and wearing out his Sargent seat because he is a “big” guy.

Just a real cutie! Hopefully his kids who know computers will show him our BLOG!

OK, now for the paperwork and what it says about our problem and what the shop did to fix the bikes stalling problems. The advise they got was from the Triumph USA tech guy back in Georgia, USA.

[JOB: Stalling, Suspect Air Filter

Resolution:

Replaced Air Filter
Thoroughly Cleaned Throttle bodies

Balanced + Synchronization Throttle bodies

Exchanged Computer Data with Triumph North America, Made Adjustments Accordingly

Performed 15 min Idle Calibration, Test Rode Thoroughly

Result:

No Stalling or Running Issues]

Both bikes had exactly the same service done. My bike needed to go briefly back to the shop after I rode it for about 10 miles and it stalled. I noticed the idle may have been set too low and sure enough the shop hooked my bike up tot he computer to readjust the idle. Apparently the computer needs to read other settings on the bike to make the adjustment. This is not something we can do on the road. Once this was complete my bike did not stall once doing the same route to our new friends house.

Cheryl says her bike feels like it did when we first started out on this trip, GREAT!

I am still being conservative and will wait to make my assessment after we ride down to Homer tomorrow, Sunday.

So, there it is for now. Problem seems to be solved. Not sure if this is what all Tigers need to have done but we believe this might be an issue for Triumph to come up with a fix to prevent something like this happening again. We might be wrong but the shop did say this was not a rider related problem.

Some pictures that our new friend Deb took of us when riding to their home, Leslie Silver helmet and Cheryl Black helmet

In the end all we really want are the bikes back to we can continue to our adventure and that is what we have. Tigers in the driveway ready to head out on our second leg.

After we got the bikes back this is what we did all afternoon.

Team work, Gary loves to have clean bikes and really wanted to help us do a good job

Cheryl is soooooooooooooooooooo happy to have the bikes cleaned and the signs of the calcium Chloride for now are not so prominent

There is dirt even in my signals. Did not take them apart can live with it for now

Cheryl cut herself on her Swiss Army knife. Yep, she tried to grab it while it was falling off her seat. Just instincts but got a nice slice which Deb played Doc and took care of Cheryl’s wound.

One thing about Deb is that she has many choices for her guests, not only when it comes to Maple Syrups, jams, hot sauces, etc…..but also bad aids too!

The Tiger’s “almost” look showroom worthy….well, not really but a lot better!

Once again we feel we owe a huge thanks to The Motorcycle Shop, Zack and his gang for not only fitting us in when they are so busy all ready, but hopefully fixing our stalling problems. Thanks to both Triumph Canada and USA for helping with the diagnosis and resolution. So, I am hopeful this might the last of this issue and we can now focus on the final leg.
My thank you hug for Zack. I wonder if we were guys would we hug the service manager????

soph9 screwed with this post 07-23-2011 at 09:20 PM
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #463
ksnak
Duc Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Kathy no worries. We know where you are coming from and appreciate it!

Gary is recommending we use SeaFoam. We might just give the bikes a drink before we leave.
Not sure myself what SeaFoam is? I'll need to ask Gary about it. I'm so glad (not nearly as glad as you are, I'm sure) that your bikes are back in order and you are ready to hit the road again! Glad also you found the folks at The Motorcycle Shop to be helpful - I've always liked them, and Zack's a wonderful young man.

Sorry I didn't get the chance to spend more time with you while you were in Anchorage, but will definitely be tracking you the rest of your travels!

Peace, and Ride safe!

Kathy

Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #464
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Cheryl & Deb's Day of Geocaching!

While I stayed at the house doing BLOG stuff, Deb and Cheryl went on a Geocaching trek! They found three near the house! Enjoy the Geocaching pictures. They had a great time together! So, a post for all you Geocaching freaks out there here you go! I mean that in a very nice way!

On the hunt!

One of our GREAT Hosts! Deb & Gary literally fed us to the point I think we gain weight, housed us while we waited for the bikes and just offered unconditional friendship. Not sure how two ADV riders could ever repay these guys for what they have done.

This puddle = BUGS!

The goods!

We just love seeing cars up here all shot up!

The search for another cache

Gotcha!

Logging in!

Pretty flower!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #465
opaque_machete
girls wanna have fun

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
bad link: http://www.adn.com/2011/07/23/198181...-sterling.html

The news photos of the bike and of the Jeep are frightening.
My condolences to the family of the two riders on the bike, and my heart bleeds for the two children who had to die thanks to their mother's impatience.
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -George Carlin
Two Wheel Females.com
opaque_machete is offline   Reply With Quote