Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #616
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,263
The beer choice does not affect my blood sugars for some reason. Yeah I am diabetic diet control and I like light beer. Lol

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #617
Delilama
Papa Bear KLR

Oddometer: 185
Got it.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #618
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

1 day off the bike and I'm itching to get back on. Let's hope our chains arrive in the morning. If not we need to get on the road either with new chains or not.

---
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #619
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
Hey Cheryl & Leslie ~~~

QUESTIONS......the GPS unit on your handlebars;

is it a motorcycle specific unit ?
Is it specific for use in rain ?
Does it have some sort of water-proof power plug ?
Has it worked well in all conditions ?

Great RR BTW !

Oh and.....back away from the bears...........you're scarring the hell out of me !!!
We are using a Garmin Zumo 660 made for bikes. Rattle proof, waterproof and glove friendly. Costs a pretty penny but has done well in all the rain and dust.

---
Old 08-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #620
grZack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Ergo fit?

Hello,

I subscribed at the very early stage of your trip, and I am glad to see those pictures you post here :)
I'm considering to buy an "Adventure" bike and based on the stories I read XC is worth the money.

My major problem is however that my height is 162 cm (around 5' 4") only.
@soph9,

is it comfortable for you? I know you are using the low gel seat :) This is why I am asking.

Take care and have a nice trip.

ps.: I will stay away buying Tiger 800 till Triumph figures out the stalling issue.
grZack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #621
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Bike with gel seat makes for a very comfy touring bike. We give the gel seats an A+. as for the height? Once you get used to not have both feet flat and take care where you stop and park the bike is easy to handle.

---
Old 08-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #622
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

I see sun this morning and I am really hoping the chains will be in and we might as well add new rear brake pads while we are at it so the last 3000 km or so go as smoothly as they can.

---
Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #623
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Funny thing at campgrounds I tell you. There are many open spaces for people to set up but noooooooooooooo, they have to park right near our tent. Sort of like when you go to the movies and the theatre is empty and someone sits right next to you. Really makes Cheryl a bit angry. The old man who has camped close to us has squeaky shoes and just bent over to plug something in and well, farted. Sorry had to include this charming ambiance.

On that note, we are going to bed.
Don't worry, I think he was just trying to help ward off the bears .

Your trip has played a significant part in the early planning phases of a July 2013 Alaska trip for me and a few buddies. We have a good debate going on what kind of bike would be best, the Tiger is on my list and we're all hoping the early issues are resolved by the time we're ready to buy. There's another guy who seems serious about doing it on a Scrambler, a few that are leaning towards Versys', and a handful of others. I'm on the fence now but your RR definitely put the XC on my radar. Keep up the good work and safe travels!

Geoff

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #624
GeekAndDestroy
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Well, since that Geoff has made an appearance here, the other Jeff in his group might as well stop lurking here.

I've been checking this thread for updates on pretty much an hourly basis ever since Geoff first gave me the link. Hearing your tales (and a few others) is making me extremely excited and anxious about the opportunity to follow suit.

Safe travels, grrls, and see you on the road.

\\Jeff
GeekAndDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #625
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We have heard about some wanting to do a trip like this on a Scrambler but I am pretty sure a Srambler type bike would not survive all the roads we have done. Our thoughts are to have the best chance at success to hit all the major on and off roads and come out with your body and bike in one piece, a DS bike of some sort is the way to go. Just our opinion if you want a trip up here to be comfortable and not freak out even at some of the pavement and frost heeves. Good suspension, comfy seat, good luggage and tires you are all set.

We have listened to many adv riders on cruisers and "other" bikes not DS styles love the trip but have many regrets and one being they are on the wrong bike. Many also regret not being able to go on certain roads because of the bike they choose to ride up North.

If you plan on only hitting the major cities and stay on pavement or gravel roads a Scrambler as any bike will do. Wanna go way off the mainstream pathway, DS is the only way.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #626
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,044
Thumb Terrace

Hello,
It's great to see you've made it to my neck of the woods. So far your report has been a great one to follow with so many Adventures. You should have taken a side trip to Kitimat.
Have a safe ride and you'll get nothing but sun for the rest of the trip.
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #627
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We have been laid up for 2 days waiting on new chains. The bikes are showing some use now and since they are not ours we just want to get the necessary things new to finish the trip. Side trips at this point because of time and $$ might have to wait for another trip. There is so much to see and do it is overwhelming at times but in the end when I look at our tracks we have really covered as much as we could given some of the hold ups.

It's been one hell of a trip I tell you!

---
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #628
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 141
Burns Lake and turn south towards Takeysie.

Just a heads up.
If you can spare a few hours, when you get to Burns
Lake, go on down the road a few minutes to the free ferry at Francoise Lake and drive around the countryside. Theres an icecream shop at the ferry wait area. Probably one of the most remote on the planet.Awesome area.
Enjoy the new chains, I hope.
N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #629
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

We are planning over nighting in Burns Lake tonight. Might check that out thanks.

---
Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #630
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekAndDestroy View Post
Well, since that Geoff has made an appearance here, the other Jeff in his group might as well stop lurking here.

I've been checking this thread for updates on pretty much an hourly basis ever since Geoff first gave me the link. Hearing your tales (and a few others) is making me extremely excited and anxious about the opportunity to follow suit.

Safe travels, grrls, and see you on the road.

\\Jeff
Sorry to go OT for a sec, but now I'm confused since you have a different user name, who is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
We have heard about some wanting to do a trip like this on a Scrambler but I am pretty sure a Srambler type bike would not survive all the roads we have done. Our thoughts are to have the best chance at success to hit all the major on and off roads and come out with your body and bike in one piece, a DS bike of some sort is the way to go. Just our opinion if you want a trip up here to be comfortable and not freak out even at some of the pavement and frost heeves. Good suspension, comfy seat, good luggage and tires you are all set.

We have listened to many adv riders on cruisers and "other" bikes not DS styles love the trip but have many regrets and one being they are on the wrong bike. Many also regret not being able to go on certain roads because of the bike they choose to ride up North.

If you plan on only hitting the major cities and stay on pavement or gravel roads a Scrambler as any bike will do. Wanna go way off the mainstream pathway, DS is the only way.
We have a few that would probably want to do it on an old CB450 if they could find a pannier setup for it . I think the one that's legitimately interested in doing it via Scrambler knows what he's getting himself into if he tries it. There is a surprising amount of interest in the Versys though, we have a lot of Kawi fans. We'll see how it ends up, it's just the planning phase right now but it's coming together.

We also have a guy coming in an FJ60, the purist in me wants to do it sans support vehicle, but the spendthrift in me knows throwing an extra set of tires and a chain in the back of the rig will save me some good $ up north. Keep up the good work ladies, hope those chains arrived and are being installed right now.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote