Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 971
Not bad at all IMO....
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #857
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 289
$2447 + $1664 = $4111 / 44 days =$93.43 per day / 2 people = $46.71 a day per person = PRICELESS MEMORIES. Just saying, rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #858
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
our goal was $65 per day for both of us....again if we stayed outside more and even once in awhile stealth camped we could have reached that goal. Mind you we did not really keep track of food expense but I would imagine that was probably around $900 this includes snacks, beer etc. We had some expensive meals.

Still not as bad overall as we initially thought.

Add another about $1000 for ferries misc things like the flight over McKinley and other little side adventures.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-19-2011 at 10:37 AM
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #859
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
How would you compare the off road only ability of the Tiger vs. the F650GS/F800GS? Which one offers the most overall capability for serious off roading?
JediJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #860
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJitsu View Post
How would you compare the off road only ability of the Tiger vs. the F650GS/F800GS? Which one offers the most overall capability for serious off roading?
Serious off roading I would vote for the F800GS....but the Tiger is not that far behind. I think the set up on the Beemer is made for ease off road, narrower seat, a little lighter, having the tank below all help. Same size tires on both bikes but I would bet if off road was what you do on technical terrain the Beemer would come out on top.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #861
wescnmbkr1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Great Write Up

Cheryl & Leslie,
I commend you both for finishing a long journey dedicated to help other's a little less fortunate!
I too have followed your expedition from the beginning. You have done an admirable job of writting & taking pictures.
In the end your explainations, and feelings about the Triumph 800XC were well thought out, and explained in a way everyone can understand.
Three years ago I travelled most of what you travelled, so I was able to visualize what you were experiencing.
Congratulation on your accomplishments!! Glad you had a safe journey, and welcome home.
RW
wescnmbkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #862
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescnmbkr1 View Post
Cheryl & Leslie,
I commend you both for finishing a long journey dedicated to help other's a little less fortunate!
I too have followed your expedition from the beginning. You have done an admirable job of writting & taking pictures.
In the end your explainations, and feelings about the Triumph 800XC were well thought out, and explained in a way everyone can understand.
Three years ago I travelled most of what you travelled, so I was able to visualize what you were experiencing.
Congratulation on your accomplishments!! Glad you had a safe journey, and welcome home.
RW
Thanks for your post!

So far what we know about the Tigers since we dropped them off at the dealer on 16th is that they have not been looked at yet. The dealer said they are swamped and will try to get to the Tigers "soon". Not sure if this is good or bad news in general. One would think someone at Triumph would want to have a look asap to see about at least the stalling issues. So, we will wait some more to see if they communicate with us later next week.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #863
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Where did you put your donate button?

I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #864
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
On the blog....here and here

http://advgrrls.com/act-autism-community-training/

http://advgrrls.com/2011/08/17/some-stats-and-our-plea/

thanks for asking
Old 08-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #865
MCML
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Great ride. Great ride report. I was up in that neck of the woods (Haul Road, not Dempster) about two years ago. On an FJR (wrong bike, wrong tires but John Ryan had just ridden it so we figured it was doable...and it was). Some of your photos of the roads elicit a strong visceral reaction in me......of the feel like I am going to die variety. Roads sometimes felt like Vaseline on glass. Congratulations on your accomplishment.
MCML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #866
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCML View Post
Great ride. Great ride report. I was up in that neck of the woods (Haul Road, not Dempster) about two years ago. On an FJR (wrong bike, wrong tires but John Ryan had just ridden it so we figured it was doable...and it was). Some of your photos of the roads elicit a strong visceral reaction in me......of the feel like I am going to die variety. Roads sometimes felt like Vaseline on glass. Congratulations on your accomplishment.
too funny....Yep any bike can do all of these roads but I can relate to your reaction to some of the pictures...our memories are fresh. We think most people who ride north base what they think their own experience is going to be on what others write. As we have said many times in our RR, the weather can make or break you and the roads too. I think everyone should make the journey before they die but remember one thing....it will be your experience pending on your bike of choice, tires,your mood and WEATHER!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #867
ggrant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Leslie and Cheryl: Thanks for the narrative describing your trip. I found the whole thing fascinating.
The reviews of the 800XC and the Heidenau tires are extremely useful, as are the candid observations about accommodation and other businesses, and the road conditions along the way.
Your report is a worthwhile resource for others pondering a trip north of 60.

I wonder about the mental toughness required to keep going for 40 days, rain or shine, with nagging bike problems always in the back of your mind and the same companion(s) day in and day out. You never really touched on that directly, or if you did I missed it. Perhaps too personal to share with the whole world but I suspect it could be an issue on a trip like this.

Towards the end of your RR you made the comment about how many excellent roads there are in BC and I certainly agree.

We had a chance to chat with you for a few minutes when you were stopped in Vanderhoof and that was a real treat after following your entire RR.

I wonder where your next big ride will take you and what you will be riding. Cheers!
GG
ggrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #868
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

ggrant

No real need for mental toughness just the right state of mind. Cheryl and I always seem in the end to balance each other out. I am high strung, she is more laid back. When things don't go right, I tend to get more tense while Cheryl always the pragmatic one works something out to temporize the situation. I did mention the ying yang effect we have on one another.

The weather gets annoying more than anything because I felt we were missing the mountains and the terrain feeling as though we would never be up that way again. At times I felt sort of ripped off because of the low lying fog. We were fortunate that due to the really good gear we were wearing the rain never impeded our ability to ride just camping out. The bike problems again were a nuisance but became part of the trip as you saw when we were in Vanderhoof. Became routine for us to have to take a moment to tweaked the bikes and then carry on.

The lesson taught to us on this trip, well at least me was patience. Patience with the weather, the bikes and one another. We are lucky though, we ride so much a like, have the same attention span when it comes to site seeing, don't feel badly if we miss something because we will talk it out. Example not going to Inuvik. We both made that decision together and felt good about it.

I learned in order to be a good ADV rider I had to go with the flow and adjust my expectations. Again I am somewhat Type A and need to stay in the moment and appreciate the cards being dealt to me. I can not always expect to be the one in control on a trip like this. ( I am often having to control my work environment to keep the peace).

So, good mental fortitude, preparation, if riding with another communication and teamwork. Cheryl and I balance one another but I did document that we too are not perfect and would at times get on each others nerves. 24/7 for 44 days you are bound to drive one another nuts but we have been together long enough not to take anything personally. I would say there were and always are way more good times riding together than bad. It's all we know. We do not ride in big groups because we rather ride together. We rarely go out on solo trips because we rather ride together too. So, in the end we make a good team and that is why we are looking into the future to see how we can plan and afford a much longer and even more challenging trip.

We will be working on something for the future and the not so near future. Time and money is what we need to work out especially with our jobs. So, where to next? Not sure but eventually we will travel to our other dream places like Europe, Africa, Asian to name a few. Perhaps RTW? Dunno. As long as we have an interest in ADV riding we will keep planning and dreaming.

Hope this answers your questions and it was nice meeting you two even though it was brief. Hope your trip to Smithers was a good one.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #869
GaryAK
Easy Going

Oddometer: 211
Wetter than average this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
The weather gets annoying more than anything because I felt we were missing the mountains and the terrain feeling as though we would never be up that way again. At times I felt sort of ripped off because of the low lying fog.
Leslie - if it helps to put Alaskan weather in perspective, May and June were drier than normal this year, and July & August are running almost twice the average rainfall. We've had few sunny days since you and Cheryl were here.

In contrast, the summer that Ewan and Charlie came through on their Long Way Round ride - Alaska was having a dry, hot summer - so much that Alaska was rife with forrest fire smoke that was an issue on many of the main roads. In fact, Charlie and Ewan swapped out their riding boots and gear for tennis shoes and jeans when they left Anchorage - it was that warm and dry. On their video, you can see them visiting some of the forrest fires up North. (Although, they did leave a bent rim in Anchorage as you well know )

I guess that one solution is to re-visit this country on one of your future rides...

Gary
GaryAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #870
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

To keep the Tigers or not?

Good point Gary.

So, now the question for anyone still reading this thread....what would you accept as a legitimate offer if you were in our shoes to buy or make a deal to keep these Tigers? What would you expect from Triumph Canada? Loaded question eh?