Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #871
ggrant
n00b

Oddometer: 9
In recognition of all the Beta testing you have done, the favourable publicity to the company from your RR, and given that the bikes' value has been greatly depreciated due to all the hard miles, Triumph could just give you the bikes after they have learned what they can from them.
GG
ggrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #872
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
wouldn't that be a nice gesture but from what we are hearing Triumph Canada and the local dealer might be looking to actually make money off these used bikes and off us. Nice thanks eh?
Triumph did what you asked them to do, gave you two brand new motorcycles, free of charge, to ride a vacation and adventure of a lifetime, and return it beat to heck , still at no charge. Sounds like a pretty good deal. You ladies had a great adventure. Sounds like Triumph is the one who deserves the thanks.

KHVol screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 05:01 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #873
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Triumph did what you asked them to do, gave you two brand new motorcycles, free of charge, to ride a vacation and adventure of a lifetime, and return it beat to heck , still at no charge. Sounds like a pretty good deal. You ladies had a great adventure. Sounds like Triumph is the one who deserves the thanks.
Ok you are entitled to your opinion but to thank Triumph? We did....more than once....as for Triumph Canada? I think they barely know we are back...
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #874
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Sorry ladies, +1
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #875
Rastus
World Traveler

Oddometer: 73
Motorcyclist died on the Dalton recently

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...Dalton-Highway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCML View Post
Great ride. Great ride report. I was up in that neck of the woods (Haul Road, not Dempster) about two years ago. On an FJR (wrong bike, wrong tires but John Ryan had just ridden it so we figured it was doable...and it was). Some of your photos of the roads elicit a strong visceral reaction in me......of the feel like I am going to die variety. Roads sometimes felt like Vaseline on glass. Congratulations on your accomplishment.
It does happen. Be careful!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #876
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Sorry ladies, +1
Like I said everyone is entitled to their opinions that is the whole point. But to enlighten some of you Triumph USA loaned a Tiger to someone who did a trip to fill in for his used broken down Scrambler. In return because of the press Triumph USA gave this nice guy the bike. We never thought the bikes would be freebies, but there is more to this than meets the eye.

The bikes rear tires we not mounted correctly from the get go. This most likely effected the rear brake pads and chain/sprockets which all need to be replaced. This was no fault of ours. We are open to fair deals not to be taken for a ride. Oh yeah we all ready did that. While you guys are pointing out that Triumph deserves thanks, believe me they received a lot of thanks from us and free publicity in their favor. Which we knew they would we just did not know how much attention these two bikes would get on a trip like this. In the end it's all good...before the trip we had a kinship with our BMW's and as the days go by and the more we ride our Beemers, the fact we have 100% paid off BMW's is a good thing.

We still believe the Tigers are great bikes but at this point and time we will remain on our Beemers and enjoy riding all year long.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #877
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,712
Quote:
Like I said everyone is entitled to their opinions that is the whole point. But to enlighten some of you Triumph USA loaned a Tiger to someone who did a trip to fill in for his used broken down Scrambler. In return because of the press Triumph USA gave this nice guy the bike. We never thought the bikes would be freebies, but there is more to this than meets the eye.

The bikes rear tires we not mounted correctly from the get go. This most likely effected the rear brake pads and chain/sprockets which all need to be replaced. This was no fault of ours. We are open to fair deals not to be taken for a ride. Oh yeah we all ready did that. While you guys are pointing out that Triumph deserves thanks, believe me they received a lot of thanks from us and free publicity in their favor. Which we knew they would we just did not know how much attention these two bikes would get on a trip like this. In the end it's all good...before the trip we had a kinship with our BMW's and as the days go by and the more we ride our Beemers, the fact we have 100% paid off BMW's is a good thing.

We still believe the Tigers are great bikes but at this point and time we will remain on our Beemers and enjoy riding all year long.
Sorry, now you're sounding like your whining. I'll leave it at that and bid you farewell
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #878
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
My View

Triumph loaned you the bikes free and in return they got the recognition and advertising you did for them. That in and of it self was a good deal, you made me envious when you managed to negotiate it - so well done you guys.

The bikes have been returned in a used condition - they're second hand. On one hand Triumph is entitled to sell them as a second hand bike at the market price for the bike with that amount of miles on it and age. On the other hand, they might consider selling them to you at some sort of discounted price but I think they would only be inclined to do that if there was continuing advertising advantage to them.

I would be very surprised and very delighted for you, should they heavily discount them to you or give them to you.

So, what advertising/continuing good will package can you persuade them with?

Happy negotiating - I hope you do get a good discount. Cheers.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #879
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I can see the business side of their standpoint in wanting something for the bikes, but if you were to be given a reasonable market-value offer for purchasing them, they should at the very LEAST step up and add some value in the form of extended warranty, service, etc.

I doubt that there's a simple, inexpensive fix to the ongoing & intermittent stalling issues you experienced, so having to foot the bill to remedy something like that shouldn't be something dropped in your lap.

Have you proposed anything to them for a purchase offer? Perhaps start with what insurance companies would value the bikes at with the current mileage, assign a % discount to that price for 'advertising, exposure, goodwill, etc' and have THEM cover the maintenance for the issues you've been plagued with?

It never hurts to ask!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #880
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Ok so we shall stop whining...on another note...my Beemer has 41,000 KM and in the shop getting new steering bearings this week and it's valve inspection. The bearings prior to the trip were iffy but when we got back I went on a little trip and it was obvious they were shot. Maybe some rust got in there. So, after the shop gets done with my bike hopefully it will feel almost new again. Need to get back to reality...while the Triumph was a good run we will carry on our new adventures on our Beemers for now.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #881
SnowCat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My feeling is Tiumph should cut you two a dynamite deal. I know you got to use the bikes but you put your own money in and Triumph got worldwide advertising for the Tigers because of your RR (priceless). Let Triumph go through and fix everything and refresh the bikes, plus give you a extended warrenty because of the stalling issue. Just my 2 cents

Mike
SnowCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #882
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

New Info About the Stalling

Owner's should contact their Triumph dealer in reference to Service Bulletin 431 and make an appointment to have the new download installed ASAP.

Straight from Triumph which was released today to the Global dealer Network.

We know nothing else but thought it would be useful to pass this info along.

Good luck to all of your who have been experiencing what we did on our trip. Hope this new download works!

Quote:
The stalling issue has been resolved by the Triumph factory with a tune update that was released today to the Global Dealer Network. This new computer tune will be downloaded in all 2011 & 2012 Tiger 800 models build prior to a specific vin#.

soph9 screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 08:17 PM
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #883
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 139
I'll play.

Triumph should go over the bikes, make any necessary repairs and then sell them to you for $5000 each on the condition that for the next two years that you attend four of the winter motorcycle shows in Canada to have a slide presentation and question/answer period regarding the Tigers (Triumph would pay your travel costs). You have much more credibility that many of the sales reps. They would also need to provide you with the full normal warranty coverage. That would seem to me to be a fair exchange. Lets say the fact that you got to use the bigs for free and Triumph benefited from your RR is a draw. The above proposal would be a negotiated trade in which you end up with a super deal on the bikes and Triumph gets equivalent value in advertising.

On a separate note, I second everybody's comments on the great RR but would like to add how much I appreciate the fact that you take the time to really try to provide detailed answers to everybody's questions. Touch of class. I like that.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #884
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverman View Post
On a separate note, I second everybody's comments on the great RR but would like to add how much I appreciate the fact that you take the time to really try to provide detailed answers to everybody's questions. Touch of class. I like that.

Roger that.

Considering the miles you put on, the weather you persevered through AND the miscellaneous bike issues, I think you ladies did an outstanding job keeping this RR 'live', detailed, entertaining, and with regards to the bikes' issues - objective.

To have another inmate call your hopes or sentiments about the final outcome after the journey 'whining'... well, that's just plain tacky. Good riddance.

Congrats on a great journey, and I really do hope that Triumph steps up and makes you a fair offer (or counter-offer if you happen to make the first move!). You two would make great ambassadors for the Tiger, especially given your prior experience with the beemers. Best of luck!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #885
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Ok so we shall stop whining...on another note...my Beemer has 41,000 KM and in the shop getting new steering bearings this week and it's valve inspection. The bearings prior to the trip were iffy but when we got back I went on a little trip and it was obvious they were shot. Maybe some rust got in there. So, after the shop gets done with my bike hopefully it will feel almost new again. Need to get back to reality...while the Triumph was a good run we will carry on our new adventures on our Beemers for now.
No you weren't whinning. You were opining, sharing with us your wishful thinking .