Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #931
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I am so stuck between the XC and F800Gs.
JediJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #932
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJitsu View Post
I am so stuck between the XC and F800Gs.
If you are able try and take them both out for a test ride but take them for at least an hour each. Also, assess where you ride 90% of the time....and you will be able to make an informed decision based on you and not any one else. In all our reports we always prefaced what we liked or not like based on how we ride, where we ride and what we look for in a bike. Only you can make that decision for yourself and maybe use other reviews as a platform. Make sense?

One thing to really note is the gas mileage. If this is an important factor the Tiger wants to be ridden around 6000 RPM's or higher and having said that the gas mileage goes way way down. The BMW not so much. The Tiger though really kicks ass on street level comfort.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:04 AM   #933
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I think you two should go for it - http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_i...it_one_million

But, it has to be in miles not km . ..
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:08 AM   #934
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Not only in miles but on one brand of bike....we tend to be a bit flippant when it comes to being married to one brand...although I am always looking to settle down to a point. Great milestone for those gals!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #935
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
If you are able try and take them both out for a test ride but take them for at least an hour each. Also, assess where you ride 90% of the time....and you will be able to make an informed decision based on you and not any one else. In all our reports we always prefaced what we liked or not like based on how we ride, where we ride and what we look for in a bike. Only you can make that decision for yourself and maybe use other reviews as a platform. Make sense?

One thing to really note is the gas mileage. If this is an important factor the Tiger wants to be ridden around 6000 RPM's or higher and having said that the gas mileage goes way way down. The BMW not so much. The Tiger though really kicks ass on street level comfort.
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a bike that I will not be disappointed in when the going gets rough, off the pavement. I have read as much as I have been able to find comparing these two bikes and just don't know. I've read that the Beemer is better off road, and that the tiger is better off road in other reviews. I read that the Beemer is too snatchy on the throttle through thick stuff, I've read that the tiger is too powerful, too fast on the throttle, and that it's too easy too spin the rear tire in dirt. I've read that the tiger has the better forks, and that the Beemer has horrible forks. I have read that the tiger is more top-heavy and less agile in one review, but then the opposite in another review. I like the deep exhaust note of the beemer and really am not aroused by the Tiger exhaust note. I know most people are thinking, "stop reading and go ride one", but my local Triumph/BMW dealer does not do "demo" rides unless you sit down and run numbers with them first. (Credit check, financing terms, loan approval.) I did not like this because I want to ride both bikes and let it marinate for a few months. It feels as if they won't allow a test ride/demo unless they are sure you will walk out that day a a new bike owner. I guess that option isn't possible from what I gathered from my conversation with Triumph/BMW Daytona. I am a commuter, but also I like to hit the back trails.... often. Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #936
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a bike that I will not be disappointed in when the going gets rough, off the pavement. I have read as much as I have been able to find comparing these two bikes and just don't know. I've read that the Beemer is better off road, and that the tiger is better off road in other reviews. I read that the Beemer is too snatchy on the throttle through thick stuff, I've read that the tiger is too powerful, too fast on the throttle, and that it's too easy too spin the rear tire in dirt. I've read that the tiger has the better forks, and that the Beemer has horrible forks. I have read that the tiger is more top-heavy and less agile in one review, but then the opposite in another review. I like the deep exhaust note of the beemer and really am not aroused by the Tiger exhaust note. I know most people are thinking, "stop reading and go ride one", but my local Triumph/BMW dealer does not do "demo" rides unless you sit down and run numbers with them first. (Credit check, financing terms, loan approval.) I did not like this because I want to ride both bikes and let it marinate for a few months. It feels as if they won't allow a test ride/demo unless they are sure you will walk out that day a a new bike owner. I guess that option isn't possible from what I gathered from my conversation with Triumph/BMW Daytona. I am a commuter, but also I like to hit the back trails.... often. Any suggestions?
I think one important thing you need to consider is how much is each bike going to cost you to operate on a per year basis. What are the dealership fees for scheduled maintenance like? I tend to think Triumph would be a little cheaper than BMW.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #937
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Craigslist? You may not be able to take an hour ride or ride on dirt, but it would be a start.
OHjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #938
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
I think one important thing you need to consider is how much is each bike going to cost you to operate on a per year basis. What are the dealership fees for scheduled maintenance like? I tend to think Triumph would be a little cheaper than BMW.
As far as maintenance at my dealership (sells both BMW and Triumphs) the Tiger and BMW services are pretty much the same and as for cost...same labour charges etc...I am pretty certain that OEM parts would be close to the same cost as well.

Both bikes are great DS big bikes. Both can handle the rough stuff as well as road. If you are OK with the prices, pick by looks, gas mileage, road comfort since most ride on the road the majority of time or just go by what brand you like best. There is no real quick answer that others can help you with because we are all usually very subjective about our own needs.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM   #939
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Thank you for the replies. Sorry to temporarily derail the thread!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #940
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Cheers to the great RR

It was neat running into you guys at Pacific Motorrad last weekend (I was the newb with the little ADV-CBR).

I did a double take when I first recognized you because I hadn't been up to speed with the whole Triumph fiasco, and expected to see Tigers and not Beemers lol.
Snowkarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #941
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Talking The Tigers will hopefully find a good home

The bikes we rode on this trip will hopefully find some good homes or another adventure. After attempts to negotiate a deal that all parties would be satisfied with there was no common ground.

So.....officially we are and remain proud BMW owners with nothing but fond memories of the great ride we had on 2 GREAT bikes the Triumph Tiger 800XC. Will we be future owners?
Only time will tell. Oh and yeah, our finances need time to heal..

soph9 screwed with this post 08-31-2011 at 05:19 PM
Old 08-31-2011, 02:56 PM   #942
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,129
Quote:
The bikes we rode on this trip will hopefully find some good homes or another adventure. After attempts to negotiate a deal that all parties would be satisfied with there was no common ground.

So.....officially we are and remain proud BMW owners with nothing but fond memories of the great ride we had on 2 GREAT bikes the Triumph Tiger 800XC. Will we be future owners? Only time will tell. Oh and yeah, our finances need time to heal... If we had the money right now we would actually buy 2 new black one's, white would not be our first choice.
That's a shame. I've lurked for most of this thread and was hoping you'd be bringing those Tigers home.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #943
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
That's a shame. I've lurked for most of this thread and was hoping you'd be bringing those Tigers home.
we are fortunate to have been able to take them out for such a long demo ride...if things are meant to be maybe one day but just not now.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #944
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Quote:
As far as maintenance at my dealership (sells both BMW and Triumphs) the Tiger and BMW services are pretty much the same and as for cost...same labour charges etc...I am pretty certain that OEM parts would be close to the same cost as well.

Both bikes are great DS big bikes. Both can handle the rough stuff as well as road. If you are OK with the prices, pick by looks, gas mileage, road comfort since most ride on the road the majority of time or just go by what brand you like best. There is no real quick answer that others can help you with because we are all usually very subjective about our own needs.
In socal the triumph dealers tend to be cheaper to deal with on the maintenance prices.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #945
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallRob View Post
In socal the triumph dealers tend to be cheaper to deal with on the maintenance prices.
Maybe parts but our dealer has one labour rate...are you saying it takes less time to do services on the Tiger?