Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 06:09 AM   #946
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Maybe parts but our dealer has one labour rate...are you saying it takes less time to do services on the Tiger?
The rate book may different between countries. A rate book determines how many hours it takes to do any particular procedure. So what takes 2.5 hours in Canada may only take 1.8 hours in the US.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #947
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I walked into a Lincoln-Jaguar dealer once here in the USA...the labor rate was posted on the wall behind the parts counter as a 'service to the customer' so they would understand the bill. The sign said Lincoln - $55/hour; Jaguar - $75/hour. I asked if the same mechanics worked on both...the guy just stared at me and didn't say anything.

The point is that in the US there may be a tendency to charge more for working on a BMW as opposed to a Triumph. The same mechanics would be paid the same regardless. It would be a 'marketing' thing...BMW is a 'luxury brand' in the USA.
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #948
sopascat
"Brownie Angel"

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert View Post
I walked into a Lincoln-Jaguar dealer once here in the USA...the labor rate was posted on the wall behind the parts counter as a 'service to the customer' so they would understand the bill. The sign said Lincoln - $55/hour; Jaguar - $75/hour. I asked if the same mechanics worked on both...the guy just stared at me and didn't say anything.

The point is that in the US there may be a tendency to charge more for working on a BMW as opposed to a Triumph. The same mechanics would be paid the same regardless. It would be a 'marketing' thing...BMW is a 'luxury brand' in the USA.
Does the "labor rate" also include overhead type things, specialty equipment used to work on on make or the other, which might differ in cost from make to make?
sopascat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #949
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
Does the "labor rate" also include overhead type things, specialty equipment used to work on on make or the other, which might differ in cost from make to make?
It may be for BMW bikes vs. Triumph, but I highly doubt it for Lincoln vs. Jaguar. It may not be very apparent but Ford has some of the highest tech tools out in the service bay.
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #950
SnowCat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Read your RR and your approval of the tires, I know they did good in the dirt and sure lasted. How were they on the pavement at highway speed and wet weather. Will be leaving on Alaska trip 2012 from Norhtern Minnestoa and these might be the way to go. Fantastic RR. Mike
SnowCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #951
RicH2
Ric H2

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJitsu View Post
Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a bike that I will not be disappointed in when the going gets rough, off the pavement. I have read as much as I have been able to find comparing these two bikes and just don't know. I've read that the Beemer is better off road, and that the tiger is better off road in other reviews. I read that the Beemer is too snatchy on the throttle through thick stuff, I've read that the tiger is too powerful, too fast on the throttle, and that it's too easy too spin the rear tire in dirt. I've read that the tiger has the better forks, and that the Beemer has horrible forks. I have read that the tiger is more top-heavy and less agile in one review, but then the opposite in another review. I like the deep exhaust note of the beemer and really am not aroused by the Tiger exhaust note. I know most people are thinking, "stop reading and go ride one", but my local Triumph/BMW dealer does not do "demo" rides unless you sit down and run numbers with them first. (Credit check, financing terms, loan approval.) I did not like this because I want to ride both bikes and let it marinate for a few months. It feels as if they won't allow a test ride/demo unless they are sure you will walk out that day a a new bike owner. I guess that option isn't possible from what I gathered from my conversation with Triumph/BMW Daytona. I am a commuter, but also I like to hit the back trails.... often. Any suggestions?
Pardon me ladies.....gonna maybe help Jedi out here.....

I've riden all types of bikes and terrain since I was 12 yrs old. I'm now 57. I'm a short fella too at a mere 5'7". I'm a gym rat so I'm in great shape. I've riden both the XC and the f800GS recently.

The specifications on the two bikes are close enough to identical: weight, power, wheel base, etc. I like them both. I found them both very comfortable. It really wouldn't matter to me which one I had, but then I am very skilled at riding anything anywhere. If I had to choose, I'd take the BMW if my intent were to carve up trails. Doesn't matter if I did more miles on asphalt getting to the trails, if my intent was to have fun on trails I'd get the BMW. The BMW just seems a bit thinner and more balanced. Whoever told you the forks on one were better than the other either had an improperly set up bike or didn't know what they were talkint about. Forget that. Also, THE BMW power curve seems a bit more suited for dirt than the triumph. But again, this is really nit-picking on a very small difference. Go ride them and buy the one that has the biggest sex factor for you. You can't go wrong either way. See which one you can get the best deal on and take it.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #952
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
Pardon me ladies.....gonna maybe help Jedi out here.....

I've riden all types of bikes and terrain since I was 12 yrs old. I'm now 57. I'm a short fella too at a mere 5'7". I'm a gym rat so I'm in great shape. I've riden both the XC and the f800GS recently.

The specifications on the two bikes are close enough to identical: weight, power, wheel base, etc. I like them both. I found them both very comfortable. It really wouldn't matter to me which one I had, but then I am very skilled at riding anything anywhere. If I had to choose, I'd take the BMW if my intent were to carve up trails. Doesn't matter if I did more miles on asphalt getting to the trails, if my intent was to have fun on trails I'd get the BMW. The BMW just seems a bit thinner and more balanced. Whoever told you the forks on one were better than the other either had an improperly set up bike or didn't know what they were talkint about. Forget that. Also, THE BMW power curve seems a bit more suited for dirt than the triumph. But again, this is really nit-picking on a very small difference. Go ride them and buy the one that has the biggest sex factor for you. You can't go wrong either way. See which one you can get the best deal on and take it.
Thank you for your insight, that is the kind of answer I was looking for :). I am going to the dealer on Wednesday to possibly purchase the F800gs in alpine white.
JediJitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #953
Bruincounselor
North Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Thank you for your insight, that is the kind of answer I was looking for :). I am going to the dealer on Wednesday to possibly purchase the F800gs in alpine white.
If you can wait until Daytona you could score rides on both.....
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #954
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCat View Post
Read your RR and your approval of the tires, I know they did good in the dirt and sure lasted. How were they on the pavement at highway speed and wet weather. Will be leaving on Alaska trip 2012 from Norhtern Minnestoa and these might be the way to go. Fantastic RR. Mike

I am partial to the Heidenau tires always have been from the first time I put them on our Beemers. We ride to work int he rain all the time living in the Vancouver area of BC. They vibrate a little on tar but handle all road conditions great for us.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #955
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincounselor View Post
If you can wait until Daytona you could score rides on both.....
What do you mean? Sorry I'm still a noob.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #956
Bruincounselor
North Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
What do you mean? Sorry I'm still a noob.
The odds are pretty good that both brands will have demo's during Daytona speed week.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #957
JediJitsu
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruincounselor View Post
The odds are pretty good that both brands will have demo's during Daytona speed week.
Ahh, I see! Thank you. :)
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #958
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
Video

a little long to fit some music but gives you a good chance to take a look at the pictures and see some of the Dalton Highway. These are just 2 songs I happened to listen to while riding this long road.

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #959
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Awesome !!!
I just watched the video at #961
Very well done.
Thanks for the whole report.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #960
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
[QUOTE=Wonko the Sane;16616901]

The gold standard of sleep apnea treatments is a tracheostomy - a hole in the neck, plugged during the day so you can talk, open at night so you can breathe. After our divorce, this is what I went to (for a variety of reasons) but its not for everyone, and I doubt my ex would agree that its better than CPAP. There are other surgical procedures as well, but their success rate (last time I checked) is about 50%.

QUOTE]
WHAT!!!! this is not the gold standard!!! CPAP and then maybe UPPP

Phoenix101 is online now   Reply With Quote