Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #961
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,263
[QUOTE=Phoenix101;16799952]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko the Sane View Post

The gold standard of sleep apnea treatments is a tracheostomy - a hole in the neck, plugged during the day so you can talk, open at night so you can breathe. After our divorce, this is what I went to (for a variety of reasons) but its not for everyone, and I doubt my ex would agree that its better than CPAP. There are other surgical procedures as well, but their success rate (last time I checked) is about 50%.

QUOTE]
WHAT!!!! this is not the gold standard!!! CPAP and then maybe UPPP
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #962
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
No issues with animals are people except some kids at Kathleen Lake but other than that ....nothing which is a good thing.
i was wondering about concerns of the two legged monsters that are out there.. did either of you pack? or is that a problem going into Alaska and then back into Canada?

Phoenix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #963
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post
i was wondering about concerns of the two legged monsters that are out there.. did either of you pack? or is that a problem going into Alaska and then back into Canada?
no packing other than bear spray. My partner does not have a permit to carry in the USA. She could get one but I actually do not like guns...bad enough she has to wear one at work.

WE never even got close to needing a gun....although we saw many Alaskans with hand guns in holsters.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #964
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
no packing other than bear spray. My partner does not have a permit to carry in the USA. She could get one but I actually do not like guns...bad enough she has to wear one at work.

WE never even got close to needing a gun....although we saw many Alaskans with hand guns in holsters.
Years ago I was in law enforcement and saw what can happen when the anti-social or criminal mentally ill can do to honest folks... keep in mind cops don't carry guns looking for trouble rather he or she carry a gun in case trouble comes looking for them. Ex-cops too. You mention women went missing in a part of Canada and their were warning signs.... not a concern?

My wife and I want to make the trip North but both of us know how dangerous people can be (both of us have worked in forensic hospitals)... being a SW you would understand... we were on a trip to Southern Utah and ran across a guy (50-60 miles from anywhere) on a bicycle that was probably MI and maybe homeless. I engaged him in conversation to see if he had water (we were in the desert) and if he needed anything... he said he was fine... Janet's radar went up and we left.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #965
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

I hear you but we never met anyone we felt threatened by....maybe weird but not threatened. As for the women who have gone missing or have been killed on that stretch of road between Prince George and I think it is Terrace...the Highway of Tears, that is almost unfortunately part of northern BC history now and although there are No hitch hiking signs now warning folks again never felt like we were going to be targeted.

I think what we found on this trip is that there are way more good people out there than bad, not to say bad could not have happened. We just kept a positive state of mind rather then thinking someone would be out to get the two of us. Make sense?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #966
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Years ago I was in law enforcement and saw what can happen when the anti-social or criminal mentally ill can do to honest folks... keep in mind cops don't carry guns looking for trouble rather he or she carry a gun in case trouble comes looking for them. Ex-cops too. You mention women went missing in a part of Canada and their were warning signs.... not a concern?

My wife and I want to make the trip North but both of us know how dangerous people can be (both of us have worked in forensic hospitals)... being a SW you would understand... we were on a trip to Southern Utah and ran across a guy (50-60 miles from anywhere) on a bicycle that was probably MI and maybe homeless. I engaged him in conversation to see if he had water (we were in the desert) and if he needed anything... he said he was fine... Janet's radar went up and we left.
Unfortunately, I think those that work in medical, security, police, prison, social work, or police careers tend to get a distorted view of society due to the constant imersion in the strange bottom dregs of society. Contrast that with the view of the CEO of an S&P 500 company who only interfaces with people that say 'yes' to whatever they want or, on the home front, take care of all his/her gardens, house, and children; a more rosy experience to say the least.

Yes, bad things can happen out there but if you are in the wild it is less likely to happen. That does not mean it will not happen, just less likely. If 10% of society on a whole are willing to take advantage of 'opportunities' to take something from you, and the bottom 1% are willing to take your life in the process, what are your chances of running into said social deviants in the middle of a National Park where there are very few targets to take from? I can see the middle of a city where there are 1000's of people that look at you like you are dressed in 100 dollar bills, the chances are real good you will meet them, but on Isle Royale N.P. there is probably all of 10 people in September, and 5 of those are Rangers.

However, you must be vigialant as you obviously are since you picked up on the tone of the bike rider's response. That didn't stop you from stopping to see if he was okay, and that is the important part; we need to be ever ready to help out in an emergency. But also remember that your definition of crazy is different from other's...I have found that wearing my full Aerostich in hot weather is actually cooler than riding in just a t-shirt and jeans; others thiink I am crazy and I get badgered everywhere I go by people trying to help me by asking if I really want to be wearing that. Gosh, if it is on me don't you think I want it? I respond cordially until about the 10th time, then I start to lose my patience and just want people to mind their own business.

Maybe the bike rider in the desert was already asked 100 times if he needs water...that is my only point.

But the idea of being vigiallant is the whole theory of why my son has been in karate since he was 5 years old. He is now a 14 year old black belt! He should be all set for life now, but I hope he continues and becomes an instructor to help others...
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #967
Max L
Duct Tape

Oddometer: 87
+ TIGER CUB's = 2 do

Wow, Have only skimmed your story and it is great. You are soooo soo so lucky. 2 Tigers ta boot !

Positive thinking is a force, more people should use it. Use our positive force

Wish you good luck on the rest of the journey... 99.99...% good people's

Some pack mounted bells, air horn, or even bang 2 sticks hard, occasional noise is good on hikes, keeps away baby bears n der momma bear and, poppa...

We will keep reading thanx again for sharing your great post.

Keep enjoying, the force is with you...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #968
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert View Post

Maybe the bike rider in the desert was already asked 100 times if he needs water...that is my only point.

But the idea of being vigiallant is the whole theory of why my son has been in karate since he was 5 years old. He is now a 14 year old black belt! He should be all set for life now, but I hope he continues and becomes an instructor to help others...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max L View Post
Wow, Have only skimmed your story and it is great. You are soooo soo so lucky. 2 Tigers ta boot !

Positive thinking is a force, more people should use it. Use our positive force

Wish you good luck on the rest of the journey... 99.99...% good people's

We will keep reading thanx again for sharing your great post.

Keep enjoying, the force is with you...
All great points...be vigilant but not paranoid and just have fun....
Old 09-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #969
ipaqpoweruser
Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer: 82
Nicely Done!

The video composite of the Dalton Highway was awesome. Thanks taking the time to share your pictures and videos with the club. Cheers

JL
ipaqpoweruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #970
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaqpoweruser View Post
The video composite of the Dalton Highway was awesome. Thanks taking the time to share your pictures and videos with the club. Cheers

JL

thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #971
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMPAJIM View Post
Subscribed. Really enjoyed your NY trip, this one looks even more adventuresome.
Just saw this post from the beginning...glad you read our other RR...I hope with each one we get better because they are a lot of fun to document and look back for us. I have been reading many of the great comments...some of which I missed while on the road. So thank you! Better later then never eh? This thank you is really late though.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #972
Phoenix101
Studly Adventurer

thank you for answering my questions, enjoyed following your trip. Someday we too will go North on an adventure. Someday maybe we can share a few beers with you.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #973
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
thank you for answering my questions, enjoyed following your trip. Someday we too will go North on an adventure. Someday maybe we can share a few beers with you.
Did you say beer????
Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #974
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowkarver View Post
Cheers to the great RR

It was neat running into you guys at Pacific Motorrad last weekend (I was the newb with the little ADV-CBR).

I did a double take when I first recognized you because I hadn't been up to speed with the whole Triumph fiasco, and expected to see Tigers and not Beemers lol.
What is your first name btw? And when are you going to get yourself an ADV DS bike?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #975
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
What is your first name btw? And when are you going to get yourself an ADV DS bike?
It's Dave, and it was a pleasure to meet you.

I figure I'm too new to know what I'm really looking for in a bike right now, so I'm just going to keep riding my little CBR 'til it hurts (applies to either of us!), sit on everything at the shows this winter, ride everything I can at demo days in the spring, and then look out for deals as next season progresses.

Until then I get brownie points for doing crazy stuff like riding the Duffey Lake loop on a glorified 125cc scooter.
Snowkarver is offline   Reply With Quote