User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #991
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
McCarthy Road + grizzly's and More

The Park is bounded on the west by the Copper River, on the north by the Mentasta Range and to the south by the Chugach Range. The most impressive mountains by far are those contained in the Park, including Mounts Drum, Sanford, Wrangell and Blackburn, which can be seen from various points along the Richardson Highway.
The new Park headquarters is located at approximately mile 107.5 on the main Richardson Highway. Heading south from Copper Center, take the Edgerton Highway to Chitina, then continue on to McCarthy.
From Copper Center it takes about 50 minutes to drive to Chitina, and then about 2 1/2 to 3 hours (or more) to drive the next 58 miles over the old railroad grade to McCarthy, where the road terminates at the Kennicott River.

Grizzly's, Chilkoot River, Haines Alaska

Mamma

soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #992
suecanada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Sunless days OK

Just thought that maybe all those sunless days actually make for better pictures..more vibrant colours and also more ethereal. The eagle pics on the poles is calendar worthy!! As are others. Gotta be a good reason it rained so much. Makes ya feel better anyway to rationalize it, eh?
Did you use the 1/4 turn knob for your fuel pacs on top of the Jesses or only straps? If just straps I assume they kept the gas-filled containers from shifting? To use the OEM mounting 1/4 turn knob would require one to drill the jesse lids? Or use a flat bolt-on luggage rack on top of the Jesse's first? Any thoughts on this. Did you have the pacs filled with gas all the time?
3rd question: what weight, approx., did each bike carry in gear?
suecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #993
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecanada View Post
Did you use the 1/4 turn knob for your fuel pacs on top of the Jesses or only straps? If just straps I assume they kept the gas-filled containers from shifting? To use the OEM mounting 1/4 turn knob would require one to drill the jesse lids? Or use a flat bolt-on luggage rack on top of the Jesse's first? Any thoughts on this. Did you have the pacs filled with gas all the time?
3rd question: what weight, approx., did each bike carry in gear?
To be honest we started out with the paks attached to the Jesse racks on each side bags using rok straps. But then all we did was lay the paks under our dry bag on the seat and the used rok straps to secure the dry bag and that kept the gas paks safe and secure. That was a better set up in the end. So, if you are only using the extra gas on long trips and have a set up similar to ours you should not need to use any mount period. We had them filled when we knew we were going to need gas and also at times we would carry gas just in case. But up there gas stations we close enough most of the time.

Never weighed out luggage, probably should next time to really know how much weight we are carrying. I would guess that each of use including luggage and gear added about an extra 110 LBS to each bike at most. Cheryl's bike might have been a bit heavier since she had most of the tools.

soph9 screwed with this post 09-23-2011 at 05:04 PM
Old 09-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #994
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

KLIM Listens

Since we wore the KLIM Traverse on our trip...we thought it would be prudent of us to post on the RR the new gear that they are coming out with this fall 2011. WE love our KLIM gear and don't get paid to wear it nor do we get it for free. Just like a company who listens to their buyers and what riders have to say. They made two new suits and both have what many of us are looking for in a Gore Tex jacket and pant. Badlands and Latitude.

Both are DS adventure ready, waterproof on the outside, breathable and sweet looking with great protection. Not cheap but seems like there is a suit now for everyone's budget. the Papa suit the Adventure Rally, Badlands, Latitude and Traverse. Awesome line up!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #995
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
When I rode up to Hyder on my F800 last year I flopped my gas can on the passenger seat and held it on with one bungi cord and the soft cooler you can see on top of it. Worked fine.

Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #996
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Flashback Continued - Pics only

Only time we road in the dark and it was in Skagway for about 1 mile

Saw nothing while riding through Whitepass

Trying to figure out how to stop the stalling

The little thingy I was using to clean my camera screen. never again could I get a picture like this again!

Part of our foot care!

Barkerville, BC

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #997
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

That's all folks!

Loon Bay right outside 100 Mile House BC, Our pit stop for 3 nights before heading home!

The cutest BUTT there is!

We loved this little cabin!

THAT’S A WRAP FOR OUR SUMMER ADVENTURE 2011

Most likely will be starting a new BLOG just about our motorcycle travels in general and no matter what bikes we own that will be our BLOG from now on. No more branding ourselves.!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #998
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

The real Cheryl & Leslie aka advgrrls

Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM   #999
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Keeping the Blog changing the name

Now that the Triumph experience is behind us we will still keep our BLOG but with a different name and focus...may lose some Triumph lovers but may gain some BMW riders at the same time. It's been a real interesting journey and hope to see some of you around the BLOG in the near future. Back to reality as they say.

soph9 screwed with this post 09-27-2011 at 08:52 AM
Old 09-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #1000
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Been following from the start. Just chiming in now because it looks like you went over 1,000 posts. Great job with the RR generated great interest. I hope it translated into support for you cause.
RockemRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #1001
ocived
ocived

Oddometer: 13
Thanks for sharing...

Cheryl/Lesie,

This was the first RR I could follow from being to end..Me and the guys @ Delta Airlines here in ATL GA. Have been enjoying your posts and pictures. You truly did an awesome job. Thank You for sharing your exciting adventure. It will be hard to top...

Be Safe Fred.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #1002
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockemRdr View Post
Been following from the start. Just chiming in now because it looks like you went over 1,000 posts. Great job with the RR generated great interest. I hope it translated into support for you cause.
I think it has raised awareness for sure. We met so many people who have family somewhere on the Spectrum it was more than we thought. So, thanks and we sure hope the RR and ride in general brought some enlightenment regarding Autism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocived View Post
Cheryl/Lesie,

This was the first RR I could follow from being to end..Me and the guys @ Delta Airlines here in ATL GA. Have been enjoying your posts and pictures. You truly did an awesome job. Thank You for sharing your exciting adventure. It will be hard to top...

Be Safe Fred.
Delta airlines??? Cool, nice to know we could entertain you a bit down South. Thanks for tagging along!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #1003
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Nice wrap-up to the RR! What a great adventure. Just out of curiosity, how much were you able to raise through this effort?
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #1004
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator7G View Post
Nice wrap-up to the RR! What a great adventure. Just out of curiosity, how much were you able to raise through this effort?
not as much as we had hoped but not to shabby...around $5000. The charity we were riding for never did this type of fund raising before and when their facebook gal took holidays as well as their PR person they forgot to do their own awareness to help our ride. We would do this again for them but they said they would do better with media and social media sources to help us get the word out. We did what we could and do believe we raised awareness and the $$ was decent for our first time out I think.

A BIG and HUGE thank you does go out to all that donated!

soph9 screwed with this post 09-29-2011 at 03:45 AM
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #1005
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 993
Just found your RR

Great to see other gal adventurers out there loving the two wheeled life and writing about it. I look forward to reading the entire thread. Thanks for posting! ~MAG

My Year of Motorcycle Vagabonding Part B (Solo to South America)
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote