Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #91
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
"Triumph Canada owns the bikes...."?? Me bad. Missed that in your very first post. All your gear is supplied for you. Methinks coming up with the "bread", equipment etc is half the effort most put into a venture like this one? It's kind of like getting Boeing to supply a 737 and crew, ESSO supplying the jet B, and then doing a report on your "adventure" flight to Hawaii? So, in essence. you're just a rolling advertisement for Triumph motorcycles?
How'd you manage that one? You guys rock singers or something? So far your RR has gone 6 pages, and you haven't left BC yet. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip and all, but it doesn't seem like there's all much "you" in it? You must at least have a good TV deal, like Ice Pilots, or Ice Road Truckers?
Lyle
I think you missed one more thing...gear meaning the bike accessories...have been supplied by Triumph because the bikes will be returned to them...third party accessories and our riding gear etc...all ours and paid for by us. We were going to use Triumph riding gear but have decided not to. All other expenses, gas, camping, lodging, food, everything, tires, incidentals, medical insurance, etc....we pay for. As for rolling advertisement? Yeah I guess it could look like way. But we also get to advertise our other reason for riding, raising awareness for Autism. You will see decals on the bikes for them too. I see it as we get to ride these bikes on a 45 day demo trip, less wear and tear on our Beemers. My goal was to see if a corporation like Triumph would want to show case their new bike with 2 unknown female riders. I wanted to see if I could actually get their attention to get to this point and we did somehow. Is this for everyone? Nope. Even if they were to pay for everything would I have turned that down....nope.

None of this takes away from our expected trip of a lifetime. The ride report has been about some of the prep and waiting on others to get going. Once we leave I am sure you will hear more about "us"...perhaps more than you want to hear. But in reality, when working with a dealership and Triumph prior to departure a lot has to do with the final negotiations and details. After Wednesday it will be all about what we see, smell, hear and experience I promise.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 AM   #92
DualSportGuy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ride

Hey ladies,

Looks like you are going to have fun. Those new bikes should work great for the trip. In an article comparing the Triumph to a BMW they said the Triumph had a better ride than the BMW 800. What are your thoughts?

Also,

Did you ever think about using Hennessy Hammocks for sleeping in for the trip?

Stay safe....
DualSportGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #93
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Our initial impressions of the Tiger is that it is indeed set up more comfy for street touring than the 800GS and our 650GS. Seat is wider and remember we have the gel seats not stock. The girth of this bike is more like the 1200GS to be honest. We only have 560KM in the saddle but like I just said as for street touring...we would have to agree with the reviewers, more comfortable and heavier than the 800GS family for sure. Does that mean better bike? Dunno. Never really thought about using a hammock...good idea though. We are looking forward to having a bigger tent this year than last years trip. The Mutha Hubba tent will make for more comfy nights and we have room to store gear etc...so for now..it is all tenting. Maybe next year we will try hammocks!
Old 06-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #94
IBGONE
Old, slow, and happy

Oddometer: 1,799
Gee Skysailor, your positive input is just so delightfully underwhelming.

Ladies, have a wonderful and safe trip, and keep us posted as you go along your way. I admire your cause greatly.

There are no demons inside my helmet; just the magic of the Universe sliding past my every sense.
Me.
IBGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #95
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBGONE View Post
Gee Skysailor, your positive input is just so delightfully underwhelming.

Ladies, have a wonderful and safe trip, and keep us posted as you go along your way. I admire your cause greatly.
Well, somebody has to keep them honest. Speaking of which, I'd be really interested in your comparisons of the Tiger with your own F650GS. Seriously considering one. Reason...the three year warranty! As a parent with an autistic child, I wonder how much exposure you'll get in such a sparsely settled part of our world? Be careful out there.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #96
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Well, somebody has to keep them honest. Speaking of which, I'd be really interested in your comparisons of the Tiger with your own F650GS. Seriously considering one. Reason...the three year warranty! As a parent with an autistic child, I wonder how much exposure you'll get in such a sparsely settled part of our world? Be careful out there.
Lyle
There are some "hot" spots for our cause...in Dawson Creek for instance there is a doc who specializes in Autism...we hope to meet him. We have business cards made up with our cause...have to be careful not to make this thread a fund-raising thread... and we can hand them out everywhere to help raise awareness. We will do what we can but I hope that our BLOG at least put faces to these kids and helps those to understand what autism looks like in more ways than one.

Keeping us honest? No problem...it's all good!
and we have 45 days to talk comparisons and adventure.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #97
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Lyle
The cause is being spread with every wonderful post on ADV. You will hear no negative comments from me. Keep up the good work ladies. Enjoy your trip.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #98
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
The cause is being spread with every wonderful post on ADV. You will hear no negative comments from me. Keep up the good work ladies. Enjoy your trip.

wow...awesome post! Thank you!

soph9 screwed with this post 06-25-2011 at 10:10 AM
Old 06-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #99
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Our initial impressions of the Tiger is that it is indeed set up more comfy for street touring than the 800GS and our 650GS. Seat is wider and remember we have the gel seats not stock. The girth of this bike is more like the 1200GS to be honest. We only have 560KM in the saddle but like I just said as for street touring...we would have to agree with the reviewers, more comfortable and heavier than the 800GS family for sure. Does that mean better bike? Dunno. Never really thought about using a hammock...good idea though. We are looking forward to having a bigger tent this year than last years trip. The Mutha Hubba tent will make for more comfy nights and we have room to store gear etc...so for now..it is all tenting. Maybe next year we will try hammocks!
I like the look of the bikes you two are on and I am looking forward to the real life reporting on it's cruising ability. After reading the ride report of Luke and Nick and the failures of the KTM 690 which has swayed me away from one less choice of a new bike in the future.

Same with the BMW F800GS having the weak rims that dent like they are made of tin cans. Weak links on a bike that will run you $15k in touring trim/adventure riding isn't acceptable to me, and it's ride reports like the one that you are about to embark on that will educate the rest us on the Triumph Tiger 800XC performance. I am looking forward of more to come.

manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #100
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,886
Cool trip

Sounds like you are in for a cool trip. I will follow along from the seat in front of my computer. Long time Triumph rider and lover. Will Triumph sell the bikes after.... they should be lightly used being ridden by girls..

Just kidding don't be offended.

Best of luck with the trip..
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #101
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Will Triumph sell the bikes after.... they should be lightly used being ridden by girls..

Just kidding don't be offended.

Best of luck with the trip..
no offense taken!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #102
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Last Day of work

I am down to my last day of work today. 3 days to go.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #103
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,140
I will be leaving July 25 for a 5/6 week tour of Yellowknife, Inuvik and Deadhorse. Maybe we will cross paths!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #104
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I will be leaving July 25 for a 5/6 week tour of Yellowknife, Inuvik and Deadhorse. Maybe we will cross paths!
I hope so! Be safe and strong!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #105
soph9 OP
Bike Addict

Eek Still no Bikes in our garage with 1 day to go

One day to go and no bikes in our garage. hmmmmmmmmm......now we are just hoping to be able to pick them up by early afternoon tomorrow but we really do not know if this will happen. Last year we were ready to go and relaxing at this point and well, as far as relaxing?? Not so much. Still have quite a prep to do on our part. Good news though, the license plates have apparently arrived from Ontario today.