Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #31
AfricaWim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
... if it were a CB750K, ...
Agreed, that's your problem right there. Fat round flat bottomed tank against your sharper lined and shaped tank. Maybe you should swap in another tank first, to get the lines right for what you plan to do. Something that is not shaped to accept side covers, and something that has more roundness to it

AfricaWim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #32
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
I think the Spencer superbike is pure magic. Like someone said before it's hard to beat the look of the rear cowl. I would ditch the fender.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
CoyoteCowboy
Easily Distracted

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Here's what I mean.

Izz'at yours Sniper? Damn I've lusted after one for years. Got a K2 750 that I would sell in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on one of those babies!!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #34
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Apologies to original thread starter, but ya, to me the OEM whale tail/side panels/tank design is sex on wheels, ginormous turn signals and big rectangular tail/brake light included

My all time fav Honda back ends are these two: with honorable mention to the original CBX 6, CX650E (and the CX500Turbo that I owned)

If you are attempting more foam shaping/carving work, and are tired of the expanding goop that you have to let dry and is very messy, may I suggest buying some plain old rigid styrofoam insulation in like 2" thick sheets, and simply gluing a few of them together with wood glue (the white stuff) into a block, the aproximate shape you are thinking of.

In the past this has worked very well for me

All the best with your project!

but I still love the 750/900/1100F bodywork
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Apologies to original thread starter, but ya, to me the OEM whale tail/side panels/tank design is sex on wheels, ginormous turn signals and big rectangular tail/brake light included

My all time fav Honda back ends are these two: with honorable mention to the original CBX 6, CX650E (and the CX500Turbo that I owned)

If you are attempting more foam shaping/carving work, and are tired of the expanding goop that you have to let dry and is very messy, may I suggest buying some plain old rigid styrofoam insulation in like 2" thick sheets, and simply gluing a few of them together with wood glue (the white stuff) into a block, the aproximate shape you are thinking of.

In the past this has worked very well for me

All the best with your project!

but I still love the 750/900/1100F bodywork
Now, the VF I like

Funny you should mention the foam. Guess where I was about 6 hours ago -- Home Depot, buying a sheet of 2" foam. Started cutting it into strips before dinner, and am about to go down and start gluing

I'm going to try for a completely different end. (well, maybe). And, maybe it was misunderstood, but I want to keep the stock tank and the side covers. I love the lines of the covers and the tank. The tail...not so much.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #36
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Lessons learned? Plenty: take my time; use rigid foam and not the crappy expanding stuff in a can; draw before you cut (hmm, sounds obvious, doesn't it?); fiberglass is a learning process; a better, more expensive resin does not stink as bad as the cheap stuff; mat is stronger than cloth; and time (again) -- don't try to rush it.

Thus armed with my newly acquired knowledge, I bought some pink rigid foam at Home Depot, got some 3M glue, and got going again. This time, I started with a solid block of glued-up foam layers. I went below the frame rails, as I want those to be hidden, for a nice, clean look.

Here is the current concept for the tail section. Don't laugh at my drawing in-abilities.

And here is the clean, blank block of foam.

From the rear (decreasing width like the gas tank).

And after I cut the lower portion to follow the stock lines of the side covers.

In the end, this may not work out. I'm having fun with some foam and a rasp nevertheless.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #37
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,160
You could just carve a hole in the middle of it and put beer in there

You do have an uphill battle since the original tails on those bikes were so cool looking, but nothing is beyond improvement and/or personalization. The drawing looks pretty good to me.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #38
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs900s View Post
You could just carve a hole in the middle of it and put beer in there

You do have an uphill battle since the original tails on those bikes were so cool looking, but nothing is beyond improvement and/or personalization. The drawing looks pretty good to me.
I could put some beer in there - maybe even a 12 pack. Hey, it might even go well with the KLR seat, and put some KLR touches on the project. We could call it the "inconspicuous cooler - convert your slick Honda to an all-purpose KLR machine".

Yes, I know it is an uphill battle. At the same time, I want a recessed single seat (somewhat recessed), and the stock tail would not work with that. You wouldn't believe how much the riding position changes by lowering the seat a couple of inches. With the superbike bars, lower seat, and stock footpegs and controls, I find it rather comfortable for my height (5'10"). I'd sacrifice looks for comfort any day, as my old back is not up to the crouching position anymore.
For me, this is about finding a position that works, than do the design around it, instead of having a cool bike that I won't ride more than 10 miles.
Most of the bikes on TV/Magazines these days are all about looks, but too many fail its purpose. Small tanks, uncomfortable seats, horrible ergonomics... I'm not the guy who rides to an ice-cream stand once a week to show off. When I saddle up, I stay in the seat for hours.

Okay, I'm saying too much again. I'll shut up now.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 AM   #39
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Started sculpting a bit last night...well, shaving bits and pieces off with a rasp. It started looking a bit bulky in 3D, so I'm making some cuts here and there. Still playing at this point, but things are starting to take shape (a shape)

So, here is a revised drawing. I would like to incorporate the flat, raised line on top, just like on the tank.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #40
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Not a final product, as it still needs sanding and a little shaping.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #41
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteCowboy View Post
Izz'at yours Sniper? Damn I've lusted after one for years. Got a K2 750 that I would sell in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on one of those babies!!
Looks exactly like mine except the wheels. mine were painted bright silver, otherwise, mine (the 79 F) looked exactly like it. I even had the exact same carbs.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #42
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Not a final product, as it still needs sanding and a little shaping.
That actually looks pretty good, Henry.
Now you need a couple of upswept mufflers to go with it, kinda like on a Norton Commando.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #43
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,160
I didn't even notice that you had changed out the bars already. Those look good too.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 AM   #44
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Superbike bars. Thanks for the suggestion whoever it was The ergonomics are just right with the low seat.

Oh, Commando -- I do like some lines on that bike, especially the recessed tailight.

As far as the foam piece. Well, I would like to incorporate the raised flat spot that sits atop the tank, so I'll see how it goes. At this point I'm too afraid to use the rasp, so medium sanding sponges it is. The foam is pretty firm, but the rasp is way too aggressive.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #45
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

After many, many hours of sawing, rasping, and sanding, I'm finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Well, not yet, as the most difficult part has yet to be undertaken. I'm speaking of glassing the plug, of course.

Nevertheless, I'm somewhat relieved that the plug portion is in its final stages. I'm currently waiting for the latex paint I applied earlier to dry, and once that is ready, I'll be doing the final sanding.

Why latex? Firstly, it the glossy paint will show any surface imperfections much easier than the dull surface of the sanded foam. And secondly, the paint will provide some level of protection against any accidental splatter of whatever chemical crap I find myself working with. (I learned today that both Bondo filler, and a high build primer, are more than happy to dissolve this foam).

So, without further ado, here is the plug, one step away from being completed.

And a mock-up shot with a taillight.

So, throw it at me: The good, the bad, and even the ugly!