Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #46
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,475
Not much progress, but I've been busy nonetheless.
I had the rear chocks off, trying to see if/how to take them apart for painting/powdercoating, but since these are the gas-charged units, I don't see a way to take them apart. My Clymer's book says there is a locknut under the top eye, but I don't see it, even though I compressed the springs. Well, it may be time to bring the shocks to someone who knows what they are doing.

I spent the past couple of days grinding, filling, sanding, and priming. The tank became the first victim to my fury. Armed with a sander, I removed all of the factory paint to bare metal. And a good decision this was, as the tank had surface rust under the factory primer. Once I smoothed my fiberglass filler and topcoated it with glazing putty, it was time for a thin coat of etching primer. So far so good. Things, however, did not work out that well, since I screwed up. What did I do wrong? Well, prior to priming, I wiped the tank down with some paint thinner (yeah, a bad choice, but that's what I had on hand). At first all appeared fine, but when I topcoated the etching primer with a sandable primer, one repaired area showed signs on trouble. The largest repair patch on the tank soaked up the paint thinner and, despite the hot sunny day, did not dry well enough. To make this short, the sandable primer bubbled up by day 2, and never hardened. I ground the filler out tonight, cleaned the metal, feathered the surrounding area, and applied some new filler. Now it's a waiting game. The rest of the tank is almost done, wet-sanded with a 320 grit, and ready for the last primer coat, which will come once all is smooth and the damaged area repaired.
There is some progress with the rear fender/cowl. As of today, the plug has been glassed (4 layers of cloth), and is ready for trimming. Once I pull it off the plug, I plan to do an extra layer (or two) of mat + resin from the inside, to provide additional strength.

Of course, the dreaded part still awaits me: Sanding the glass and prepping it for paint, which will take some time to do.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #47
jeffs900s
Prophet of Doom

Oddometer: 1,160
I like the detail you added on the top of the tail section to echo the lines in the tank. Looks good.

jeffs900s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #48
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Thanks. The lines have the same proportions as the lines on the tank (beginning and end width). I played with the tank angles as well, but the front compound curve would be too much on the tail. The rear is somewhat similar. The end point is, I'm making this for the bike, not as some generic store-bought item bolted on just to fit some bullshit guidelines. Okay, getting carried away here. Now I have to decide whether to run my signals through the glass into the frame (serving as fasteners for the glass), whether to drop them lower on aluminum brackets. But that is a design question for later.

My goal is to paint and tuck it away for winter project (assembly), but I can't seem to be able to keep my grubby little hands off it
Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #49
Breezed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Looking good Henry!
Breezed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:00 AM   #50
jehicks87
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I like your final tail design! A lot! I also like that you made it yourself, that's way cool.
jehicks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:59 PM   #51
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Thanks.

Last two days more sanding, more trimming, more priming, and more fiberglass. Too many freaking dents in the tank, so every time I wetsand I am not happy yet.

Tank went to bare metal, then filler, then etching primer, then filler primer, then sanding. I want those long flat lines spotless.

Plastics were cracked, so fiberglass repair from behind, bondo from the front. The strange thing is, the paint on the plastics (whatever it is: dye, paint, not sure) gets lifted (wrinkling, peeling) by any and all kind of paint I throw at it. (rattle can primers, adhesion promoters, Duplicolor, Rustoleum, SEM, lacquer, and enamel). Had no choice but to hit it with 80 grit to get the paint off to bare plastic, then fill the scratches (as best as I could) with Bondo, wetsanded to featheredge, then Dupli Adhesion Promoter, followed by sandable primer. Wetsanding tonight.

Oh the crap we do.

Got extra three layers of mat inside the fiberglass fender/cowl, so now it is as stiff as can be, and about 2 lbs heavier . Now the final trimming, and then hitting all the irregular spots with filler from the outside, wetsanding and priming. At this rate, I'll never be ready for paint.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #52
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
Can I have the stock tailfin?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #53
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Can I have the stock tailfin?
Now you come asking after you complained about me hacking it?

Let me think about it. I might want to return it to stock one day. What would you want? Tailfin, light, fender?

PM me if you want to trade for something or what have you in mind.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 PM   #54
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Nothing new here, except a major setback. Today was the right day for painting. For some strange reason, I set my mind on painting the bike in "old-style" colors, namely lacquer Well, it's been a long time, so I forgot all about how lacquer dries, and I fucked up. It took me a while to get the tank all smooth and ready, but yesterday i did my two coats of sealer, this morning I quickly dry-sanded that with a 600 grit paper (so I wouldn't have to deal with drying time from wetsanding), I shot my dust coat, followed by two wetcoats, Nothing ran, everything was smooth. Well, an hour later I went to pull the engine off the frame, so, since I didn't want the freshly painted parts in harms way, i made the mistake of setting the parts out in the sun. Man the tank got hot! What happened? Bubbles! the thinners in the lacquer did what they do, a dye-back through the filler, and since the upper coat was nice and dry, the solvents had no place to go but pop, pop, pop. Of course, it only happened where the filler was on the thick side. So, back to square one. Being no fan of too many coats, I decided it be best to stripe the whole thing back to bare metal, and start over. Man I hate this.

Well, in the mean time I took the engine out of the frame, and that sucker is heavy! I have no idea how to get it back when I'm done with it. Wiring harness, instrument cluster, ignition, triples, all came off. Frame needs new paint or powdercoat, can't decide which way to go.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 PM   #55
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Now you come asking after you complained about me hacking it?

Let me think about it. I might want to return it to stock one day. What would you want? Tailfin, light, fender?

PM me if you want to trade for something or what have you in mind.
All I want is the tail fin to make a Lamp out of....I LOVE the stock tail fin....The stock taillight would be great to since it would be a great part for the lamp!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #56
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

A short update on the CB750F saga:

I spent the last week sanding, prepping, cleaning, and taking things apart. When I bought this bike, I told my better half that it will be a winter project. Well, three weeks into it, I've been spending every night in the garage working on this and that, and my better half is getting annoyed. Perhaps even rightfully so.

Well, I keep telling her that I need to get all the painting done while the weather is warm, and that I will (likely) put things aside once that part is done. Nevertheless, as you probably know, dealing with an old motorcycle has its own challenges, and things never go as planned. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) Still, I've been trying to stay true to my words, so I disassembled the entire bike, and started working on the paint scheme.

The frame presented one of the biggest challenges to date. Not only is it huge (compared to my other toys), but it also has a lot of welds, angles, and little crevices where rust tries to hide. While I would be happy to have someone sandblast and powdercoat the frame, after receiving a couple of quotes I had to abandon that idea. Powdercoating itself was expensive, and between the frame, swingarm, and a few other things, I would have to pay more than what I paid for the bike itself. The second difficulty was finding a place that would sandblast the frame, as it is larger than most of the blasting cabinets within 20 mile radius.
A week into it, however, I managed to convince my local body shop to let me use their sandblaster. Armed with a few bags of sand, I entered the blasting room with optimism. Two hours later, tired, dirty, and semi-deaf, I emerged again, holding a clean frame in my hand.

I ended up coating the frame with a white epoxy paint, and it is now hanging outside while I bring the garage to its former clean status so my better half can finally park there again.

In the mean time, my rear springs came back from the powdercoater, and they look like new. I can't wait to get my shocks painted, so I can reassemble them with those springs.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #57
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

CB750F Project: Part VI

Summer is here, and with it school vacation, family vacations, and a lot of work around the house. Needless to say, I'm not getting much of project time these days.

After what seems to be weeks of sanding, filling, fiberglassing, prepping, fixing user errors, more filling, more prepping, and more sanding, I'm finally seeing something.

The giant heat wave combined with humidity above 80% has made painting almost impossible (especially since I'm using lacquer), so everything is taking much longer than expected. The parts pictured are not completely done yet -- I'm waiting for the first clearcoat to fully dry before wetsanding and applying more clear. Thus, the orange peel in the pics. (currently the tailsection is base coat only waiting to be wet-sanded, while the tank has a coat of clear). After I lay down enough layers of clear, sand, rub, and buff, parts should look much better.

PS- the white line appears crooked to the left, but it is only the angle, along with a crappy camera.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #58
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
CB750F Project: Part VI

Summer is here, and with it school vacation, family vacations, and a lot of work around the house. Needless to say, I'm not getting much of project time these days.

After what seems to be weeks of sanding, filling, fiberglassing, prepping, fixing user errors, more filling, more prepping, and more sanding, I'm finally seeing something.

The giant heat wave combined with humidity above 80% has made painting almost impossible (especially since I'm using lacquer), so everything is taking much longer than expected. The parts pictured are not completely done yet -- I'm waiting for the first clearcoat to fully dry before wetsanding and applying more clear. Thus, the orange peel in the pics. (currently the tailsection is base coat only waiting to be wet-sanded, while the tank has a coat of clear). After I lay down enough layers of clear, sand, rub, and buff, parts should look much better.

PS- the white line appears crooked to the left, but it is only the angle, along with a crappy camera.
If you pinstripe that white stripe with red it'll look killer! Love the paint scheme!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #59
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Lookin' good. I got here a bit late to kibitz on the foam and glass though. You can't use any polyester resin on some foams - it'll melt them right down as you found out! So you head off to the marine supply place and get epoxy resin. Doesn't melt the foam, and doesn't stink as bad. As filler, you get a bag of glass microballoons (basically, tiny hollow glass spheres the size of dust) and mix that with a little epoxy. Use that instead of bondo.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #60
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
If you pinstripe that white stripe with red it'll look killer! Love the paint scheme!
Hmm...haven't considered red. I'm kinda going for an old school look, hence the "Bahama blue" and "Oxford white" scheme of things. White frame, white seat , black rims, pipe, airbox, forks, light bucket, mirrors.

I think the center line will flow nicely with the seat coming up against the tank. Of course, I'll have to shape to foam to flow with the scheme.

Hey, thanks for the compliments. It means a lot coming from a guy who was against the changing of things. I mean it.