ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #1
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Montanna vs Zumo

So, I gotta get a new GPS. I once had a Zumo 550 and liked it a lot. Was able to create routes on the home computer and transfer to the Zumo and off we'd go. I thought the decision was a no-brainer with the Zumo 660 the obvious choice.

Now the Montana is about the hit the market. Besides the BT phone and XM, what will either do that the other wont do?? If you could just have one GPS on your bike, which would it be?? Montana or Zumo???

I do have a 60csx w/ topos and it has is place. We ride mostly dual sport rides down little forest roads and gravel roads, mostly never single track or trails. Its going on a 990 KTM that gets ridden mostly 2up with my wife.

And I know since the Montana's not out yet, a lot we don't know, but what do you think????
Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
I've got a 60csx that I've been wanting to update,
I can't stand the Zumo's as they don't do tracks.

I am on the waiting list/pre-order for a Montana.

I am betting they'll be similar to the oregon for software with bigger screen, and motorcycle mount which give me music and stuff.

No bluetooth / XM, I'd like to have it - but I can live without it - I'd rather have the tracks features.

I've been waiting for years to get a good general MC GPS , the reading I've done seems to show the montana will do.... FINALY!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Dagwood_55 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
I've got a 60csx that I've been wanting to update,
I can't stand the Zumo's as they don't do tracks.

I am on the waiting list/pre-order for a Montana.

I am betting they'll be similar to the oregon for software with bigger screen, and motorcycle mount which give me music and stuff.

No bluetooth / XM, I'd like to have it - but I can live without it - I'd rather have the tracks features.

I've been waiting for years to get a good general MC GPS , the reading I've done seems to show the montana will do.... FINALY!

Well, that's kinda what I'm thinking. All my software for my 60csx is several years old. What would you get while you're getting. The Topo CD which is by section of the US?? And the latest streets maps on CD??
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

I use the Topo24K on DVD, they are not locked to a single device and they do auto-routing.

Topo doesn't have all the restaurant and stuff like that, but I don't care about it. Topo is a little more precise in the trails, but not by much compared to City Navigator.

I am more interested in routing and not being locked to a specific GPS.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
The Garmin 24K Topo has gas & Starbucks POIs etc. Of course it does not get updated like the CN updates but....it is there even if outdated.

Be interesting to see how the Montanas display track features compare to the 660/665 series of Zumos.

Montana looks promising to me. Can you turn off recalc?
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Montana looks promising to me. Can you turn off recalc?
let's not start a new montana thread, for all montana specific features, look here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
...Montana looks promising to me. Can you turn off recalc?
This was discussed in another thread. It would appear that you cannot at this point, but that won't be confirmed until someone has a production unit in their hot little hands. If true, whether Garmin changes that, and if so, when, is another question.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
This was discussed in another thread. It would appear that you cannot at this point, but that won't be confirmed until someone has a production unit in their hot little hands. If true, whether Garmin changes that, and if so, when, is another question.
Yea I saw that before but wondered if there was any update. Following all threads even though I did not start them.

I would expect new software features anyway after release just like they added features to the 550 and 660/665 Zumos. It also looks like the new 100K Topo is routable so it may be more useable for every day use on the Montana (and most other GPS units too)
Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
I agree with christian, this thread should be moved to the Montana thread.

Twohondas, unless you know "a secret", I don't believe that the Montana 650t's 100K topo maps are routable.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
I don't believe that the Montana 650t's 100K topo maps are routable.
From Garmin's web site:

Topo U.S. 100K maps

Now with more detail than ever, this product covers the finer points of the outdoors with topographic maps comparable to 1:100,000 scale USGS maps. It also includes terrain contours, topo elevations, summits, parks, coastlines, rivers, lakes, geographical points and more.

Contains routable roads, trails and highways in metropolitan and rural areas so getting to your destination is easy by creating point-to-point routes on compatible devices.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yes, I'm aware the the new 100K Topo's accessory maps sold by Garmin are routable now. I have them installed in BaseCamp-Mac along with the 24K US Topo's.

But, based on the pre-released unit that GPSCity had and the text on the Montana 650t product page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin Montana Product page
Montana has key features for the outdoors such as a 3-axis tilt-compensated compass and barometric altimeter. Buy the auto mount and a City Navigator NT® map, and it'll give you spoken turn-by-turn driving directions. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin Montana 650t Spec Sheet
Features:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads): yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)
GPSCity had to load City Nav to enable routing.

Garmin has in the past preloaded "special" versions of Topo maps on to Handheld units.

[OPINION]

Maybe Garmin will see fit to preload the "for sale" version on the Montana but I'm not counting on it.

[/OPINION]

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

A little confusing about the 100K on the Montana...we will find out soon I guess if they really route.

DRTBYK - have you been able to get a read on the track handling of the Montana compared to the new Zumos 660/665?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #13
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

No more than anyone else.

I doubt that the Montana will do what the zumo 66x does: i.e, Import Tracks with no limit on track points and convert them to Routes with no via points. As for the Off Road Tracks Import, the Montana appears to have the same features as the Oregon's. Only time will tell.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 08-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
dieselndixie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
sorry guys, but the more I read, the dumber I feel.

I have a nuvi, and it wont do what I want. so its either Zumo or Montana.

I want to be able to create a route (mixing dirt roads, county roads, highway, etc) on google maps (or equivilent) and then save that exact route. Transfer to my GPS, and have it direct me down all these un named paths and dirt roads without it trying to send me back to a paved road.

Which one does this the best.

Let me also mention...it would be nice to take something with me when I ride dirt/offroad only (woods) and see how far I went, speed, tracks, etc...but not neccessary.

I have a $300 visa gift card (so it helps with the sting a bit)...Im ready to buy...just cant decide. Got bit once with the nuvi, and dont want another car gps?
dieselndixie is offline   Reply With Quote