MRHAPPY
GSIN

Oddometer: 1,118
but why i must ask,,,,,,,,,
Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #3
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I love to farkle my machine, but i don't think it needs one...........
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
Jahwan
:)

Oddometer: 64
I want one!!! Let me know if you find one that fits the R1100GS!
Jahwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 AM   #5
Pejie
old rider

Oddometer: 787
just ordered a kit for my 1150GSA from MSC products in Aus. but is yet to arrive. I was going to post piccies of installation when it's done. They said the same kit won't do a 1200 but i don't know about an 1100. You could email them designmsc@bigpond.com They are very product orientated rather than having an emphasis on sales, if you know what i mean, which hopefully bodes well for their damper kits but can get frustrating trying to find out details or make an order. Vast majority of bikes in this years Australian safari ran with MSC dampers.
www.steelpony.com.au
Pejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
guzzifreak750
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejelo
just ordered a kit for my 1150GSA from MSC products in Aus. but is yet to arrive. I was going to post piccies of installation when it's done. They said the same kit won't do a 1200 but i don't know about an 1100. You could email them designmsc@bigpond.com They are very product orientated rather than having an emphasis on sales, if you know what i mean, which hopefully bodes well for their damper kits but can get frustrating trying to find out details or make an order. Vast majority of bikes in this years Australian safari ran with MSC dampers.
Can you send me pics when you get done installing that and let me know how it works

Keep the Rubber side Down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03 R1150 GSA
74 Guzzi V7 Sport
91 R100GS
82 NC 50 cause you got to have a pit bike
guzzifreak750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
MRHAPPY
GSIN

Oddometer: 1,118
a waste in my opinion,,,,,i love to farkle also but nothing that is just bling,,jest sayin' no offense
Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #8
PopsicleMonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
A steering dampner keeps the bars from being ripped from you hands at high speed off road from obstacles (whoops, rocks, logs, etc...). Also keeps a straight keel on soft terrain with less effort at high speed.

mmmm.... if you can ride that fast off road on your GS. I want to ride with you. Really, A GS is the most stable bike ever to ride off road.

If you need a steering dampner I am impressed.
PopsicleMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Pejie
old rider

Oddometer: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzifreak750
Can you send me pics when you get done installing that and let me know how it works
Intend to do post with piccs & report. found an article from south africa where i think a damper was fitted to a 1200GS & rider reprted loose gravel, which we have a lot of, & sand became like riding tarmac. I need to find out is all. Even if all it means is i can ride just as badly as I do now for longer
www.steelpony.com.au
Pejie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #10
Jahwan
:)

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel
A steering dampner keeps the bars from being ripped from you hands at high speed off road from obstacles (whoops, rocks, logs, etc...). Also keeps a straight keel on soft terrain with less effort at high speed.

mmmm.... if you can ride that fast off road on your GS. I want to ride with you. Really, A GS is the most stable bike ever to ride off road.

If you need a steering dampner I am impressed.
I would love to have a steering damper because I have many times found myself outside the "track" because I hit a rock or something under the mud just "rips" the steering to the side and the bike is the boss at this time, I'm just a passanger... This is why I would like to try the steering damper. I'm not interested if you have the biggest muscles to keep your bike going straight in these wonderful tracks, I just want to know if there are some steering dampers available for the R1100GS and yes, you are welcome to ride with me, hold on to the bars... Next trip to Lapland in June 2008, send me a private message...

http://koti.welho.com/jsaari4/index....ulppio%202007/
Jahwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
jwumpus
( o Y o )

Oddometer: 212
Yeah, I know this thread is over 3 years old. I suppose there still is no steering damper available for the 1100GS?
jwumpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 791
Love the people who say a steering damper is a waste on a 12GS, obviously these people have never run one... on any bike.

There's a kit by Rally Moto which is way too much $ IMO, but you can find it on the BestRest website, I know others resell it as well.

The most cost effective route is a mount available from Mort which is also sold by Gorilla Zilla, both out of South Africa, which lets you use a Scotts Damper on the 12GS. IIRC the mount runs about $200-$250 shipped and then you supply your own scotts with appropriate arm. I ordered mine from Mort directly, and he's a standup guy. See the threads below:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272110 (Mort at post 84)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531380 (Pics and install of Mort's mount)

Edit: Missed the 1100GS part, my bad... hopefully the above info will help a 12GS owner or two.

LTCOliverNorth screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 12:02 AM
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
jamesp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwumpus View Post
Yeah, I know this thread is over 3 years old. I suppose there still is no steering damper available for the 1100GS?
The Rally Moto is the only damper that will fit a 1100GS AFAIK. Rally Moto said they have sent several to US customers to put on 1100s.

I ordered 1 last week (yet to receive it) after researching all the other options...
- Gorilla zilla / mort told me theirs fits a 1200 only.
- Scotts themselves told me they don't have anything that will fit on the 1100GS triple clamp.
- Hyperpro told me theirs won't fit on the telelever.
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
Don't r1100r's have them fitted from factory?

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
I know David Marshall(AKA Hasenwerk) has one for an 1100GS from Ralle Moto that he offers on his site:
http://www.fastforward.ca/motorrad/r...ngdamper.shtml

I've been pretty tempted, mostly because I rode and 800Gs that had one on it -- WOW! much more confidence inspiring, especially for someone of my limited dirt skills.
Good Luck
'99 R1100RT
Mituk is offline   Reply With Quote