User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

Oddometer: 578
Adventure Trio rides again....Canada, Great Divide, and who knows what else

I usually wait until the end of the trip to attempt these reports but always run out of time and have trouble remembering the details. We'll try something different this year and write and post as we go....what a concept.

This will be the 3rd long range trip for my now 9 year old son, wife, and I. Somehow we have managed to carve a month out for this trip and I couldn't happier. Well actually stressed out with all of the trip prep in addition to work wrap ups etc, but no complaints.

Here's our photo of our setup that was taken at Overland Expo earlier this year.

We've changed up some gear since then adding a new tent, replacing some worn out camping items, and a better system for capturing the moments of the trip. Trying to document the experiences is always challenging while you are in the "experience" without ruining the moment. Live and learn.

We depart this coming Thursday June 16th and our first stop will be a friends farm near Petrolia. From there the plan is to ride the coast and camp on our way to Vancouver Island. As we head east we have the Kettle Valley Railway http://www.kettlevalleyrailway.ca/ in our sights and the rest is open for how we feel and weather conditions. Traveling with kids is a bit different as he is the final say when things get rough. He's ridden with me in hail, rain, snow (not our favorite) and cold when we get caught in it and we leave it up to him if we need to call it for the day or press on.

Here's a link to our Spot locator.

http://www.adventuretrio.com/Adventu...re_we_now.html

That's it for now.....let the games begin. Off to finish the final prep.

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
suscribed and waiting for your RR and pics
enjoy it...
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

More packing tonight and a final check of the bikes. Good Day Sacramento is talking to us tomorrow about our travels, specifically about how we do it as a family. Here's our mock camp setup in the back yard.

Sandy will be doing a cooking demo and whatever else they want to see. We can't wait to get on the road.......Thursday....tick tock.

-Terry
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

Departure day....

Packed and ready to depart in 90 minutes. We've been asked to stop by Good Day Sacramento so they can give us a live sendoff. Thanks to my riding partner, PR person and wife for setting this up. Trying to get the word out about travel and specifically family travel....get up and do something.

Til later.....

-Terry
Old 06-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

Finally on the road....it's difficult to slow down from the everyday pace and take it all in. The little kid in me want s to do it all now, today. This is only day one, there's more to come.

But first a little stop at a local morning show for a live sendoff. A short interview and then they watch usnas we ride off to begin our trip......well not really. We turned around and came right back asnJack wanted to see the inside of the studio. What 9 year old wouldn't??

Fascinated....

Now for our "real" departure from Sacramento. Complete with 35 mph cross winds....my favorite. Up highway 5 and cut west on 20 to make up a little time, 240+ miles today. Even 101 had a veracious head wind.

Gotta feed this kid

A quick stop at the beginning of the Avenue of the Giants

After 4 1/2 hous we arrived at Pepperwood Farms off the north end of the Avenue of the Giants near Scotia. Owned by a childhood friend of Sandy's and her husband who cut ties with corporate America a year ago and is making a go of being an organic farmer. No easy feat after seeing all the work they have done.

We made it to Brookings Oregon the next day and are taking a few days to rest. The trip preparation plus long days at work have all 3 of us run down. A quick recharge and northward.

More photos and video soon.

-Terry
Old 06-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

After so many days off from updating this report it's hard to remember everything......damn Our stopover in Brookings provided some much needed rest. We pressed north with hopes of making it to Astoria.......uh huh. About an hour from Newport we realized that it wasn't going to happen. Traffic, weather, and a tired passenger had us looking for a camping spot. Meeting some other kids was on the agenda. It was fathers day as well....

Always a beautiful sight

My fathers day dinner......my wife rocks!

And a happy guy

Jack took off to go meet some kids. He grabbed his guitar and took off in the direction of the park. Within minutes he had a new group of kids to hang out with for the night.

And a very tired guy at the end of the day

Not so smart to leave "some" of the riding gear out. It rained a little that night and needless to say I wore a soggy helmet for the day.

Perfect. All packed up and ready to go by 9:30, although we planned to leave by 8. Onward north....Seattle tonight?? Not likely
But first a greasy breakfast to get the day started.

A cold rainy ride up the coast. Astoria would be the spot for the night. Our favorite hotel underneath the bridge.

We stopped in town for a quick lunch. 2 college girls walked in and one commented on the bikes. I figured it was just friendly conversation until she told us that she had a 650GS and a couple of dirt bikes. She lived on a boat in Astoria that she sailed down from the northern coast of Washington. Very cool to hear.

Wow, a photo with all of us in it....

2 kids watching the ships go by

Playing around with the new helmet cam

http://www.vimeo.com/25461644
Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

OK, so today we will make Seattle. More mixed weather heading north (what a surprise) Tried to find Touratech on the way in to the city and was foiled by construction that eliminated the correct exit ramp and a GPS screen that drew a spaghetti map complete with uturn after uturn. We decided to head find our room for the night.

The first hotel didn't fair so well as we got off the elevator and smelled the strong odor of pee. We walked to the room only to open the door and find people already in the room.....sleeping. (think goldie locks and the 3 bears)

We went back down, got a refund, and stayed in the parking lot looking for another room on the ipad. Last minute rates worked for us and a new room was found.

Seattle is one of Sandy's favorite cities.

Jack loves the monorail. The driver let him on the horn button a few times along the ride. What kid doesn't love that.

Some friend we made at Overland Expo 2011 live in Seattle and invited us over for a BBQ. One of my favorite things about the adventure travel community is the people you meet and how they/we will open their homes to travelers. This is by far the best travel we do and people like this make it so.

Our hosts Mike and Shannon have been on some amazing trips. Alaska, Baja, Mexico, etc. all with their Chiuaua on the back of one of the bikes.

They were hosting another rider from southern California that needed a spot to stay while having some bike maintenance done before heading to Alaska.

One of Mike's restored bikes. No coaxing was needed to get him to roll it out for a few photos.

We said our goodbye's and went back to pack up. The next day we head for Vancouver Island. A family, ATKNUT here on ADV, invited us to come and camp at their farm there. They have 2 young sons that have traveled to Alaska and southern Mexico with them and should be able to swap some road stories with Jack.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

Even at 41 I still get excited to ride a motorbike on to a ferry.

Tetris blocks

As we exited the ferry we rode north to where we were invited. Again a spaghetti map was drawn and we went a few miles out of our way to get there. As we rolled up we were met by Renee, big smile and welcome, and pointed us where to park. All I can say is what a place! My first sights as I was getting my helmet and gear off were a beautiful log home milled on site and built by them, a huge swimming/irrigation pond with a sail boat in it, horses, a donkey, a great dane, need I go on. After the introductions Jack spotted the fire truck that they use to pump and irrigate some of the grounds. That was the first stop for him. Our other host Henry and I swapped some stories and got to know each other over a few beers and the fire pit with the salmon and potatoes grilling.

Did I mention that there were a few dirt bikes too? Jack hadn't ridden a bike with a clutch yet, but he was about to learn.

Off and running

There was a little "testing" of the siren that still worked. I have to admit, I wanted to turn the lights on too.

Jack decided he wanted to sleep on the boat for the night.

As it turned out he slept until after 9am the next day.

Some very cool animals too....

Morning coffee

What a goofball

So cool to have another family that will take off with the kids and travel by motorcycle. We decided to head out for dinner the second night.

A beautiful sight....

Snacks

We had an absolute blast with this family. None of us wanted to leave, but we needed to press on. There were talks of a trip south for them in the near future and they know that they now have a base camp in northern California if they need it.

Thanks Henry, Renee, Quinten, and Tanner!

Sunday June 2th

We departed and headed towards Pemberton beyond Whistler. We stopped in Whistler to take a break and ended up staying here for the night. A hotel guy saw us parked and offered a discounted room if we needed it......tired, sore, sold! Lots of spoiled rich kids here. I miss the farm.......

More as we go.....
Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
atk_nut
and atk_nut_wife

Oddometer: 595
We're glad you guys enjoyed your stay.
It was great meeting another family that rides!

Come back any time.
(We're doing hay next week )

See you soon and be safe!

http://members.shaw.ca/fourup
http://vimeo.com/jollyrogerranch
atk_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
i m still following you.
nice pics

keep sharing

Chelo
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,486
AdventureTrio, thank you for making my morning such a pleasant one! I grew up in Seattle and am truly enjoying your report. It brings back wonderful memories of the Pacific Northwest. I am especially touched by how you have involved your son in the adventure and by the special bond that the three of you have formed on the motorcycles. I too, am blessed with a wife who rides, and like yours, she is a great campsite chef as well!
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

Here's my second attempt at writing about the days happenings......was just about finished and hit 2 keys that deleted my entry.....

After leaving the farm we headed east with our sights set on Whistler. Touristy I know but we've never been there and had a plan if it was too expensive.

As I was getting rate information for hotels (not adventurous) an employee of a local hotel approached us and said he could get an employee rate for a fellow rider. Well within our budget for the week and far under Whistler rates we decided to take him up on it.

A few more bikes on this ferry ride

The guys enjoying the ride

Our arrival in Whistler was shocking to say the least. Rich kids everywhere and crowds.....what are those. We walked around for a bit and let a kid be a kid.

And took the usual destination photos

It was at that time that we decided we "had" to get the bikes down here to takes some pics. Let's get up early and roll them in.

Ok, enough of that. Let's get the hell outta here and go camp! Onward east....
Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

With our sights set on Lake Louise we departed ahem, early....10:30.

Knowing full well that wasn't going to happen we pushed off and took highway 99 toward kamploops. All I can say is WOW, what a great road.

The reoccurring theme here is Jack and I in the photo, and Sandy NOT in the photo. Someone's got to take them.....

In to Kamploops we roll. No camping as close as we need it for as late as it is. Damn, another motel. It doesn't mean we can't cookout like we're camping.

A quick trip to the market, and some jetboil and fuel, and whala.....dinner

The cooking done on the wall mount A/C unit.... I know, classy, but damn tasty.

The room kinda smells like,...well,.....cooked food. Ooops. A happy crew though

We shall camp tomorrow! Full bellies, good night!

-Terry
Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

Ok, Ok, Lake Louise it is. We rolled in about 3pm and got our site. This was all after I spent 2 hours chatting on and off with Jack about all of the kids he'll meet while camping. Me and my big mouth. This is the first time in history that a camp ground was less than half full in the middle of summer. Could it be all of the rain they have been getting.....um, yeah. I think it was.

No kids and very few other campers. Good for solitude, not for a kid who needs some playmates. Note to self, less is more, keep your big mouth shut.

We set up camp in a beautiful spot.

And stood like horses under the trees while it rained for 90 minutes. We weren't ready to be stuck in the tents yet. Finally off for a walk. I've never stayed in a place surrounded by electric fence to keep the bears out. This would never fly in the U.S. This is defineately a Darwin fence.....don't touch stupid!

Back for dinner Sandy cooked up another perfect meal. Salmon (made us think and remenisce about Henry and Renee & the boys) and vegi's. Jack experimented with a torch made with sap from the tree wrapped around the stick with toilet paper. Success....

Our meal

And the beautiful chef

Some sap balls we used to start the fire later when the rain began again.

The next day another hike, but this time he brought the guitar, "just in case"

We walked to the nearby village, ie: shopping area where he set up shop playing for a while.

I told him to put out a tip jar for gas money, but he just sat and played. So very cool to watch.

More rain, more packing up in the rain with wet tents, rinse, repeat. Nothing to see here......

-Terry
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Adventure Trio OP
Wandering

Onward the next day to find a hot springs to stay at for the night. We ended up at Farimont Hot Springs back in B.C.

This was after Sandy being run off the road by some ass hat on the way down. She had her exit plan ready to go when it happened and staying on pavement the whole way. Back in the lane she came and I spent the next 45 minutes coming up with 25 different ways to deal with this guy when he stopped. Luckilly we never saw him again....it would have delayed the trip a bit I'm sure.

Moving on.......

On the way down we came to the continental divide....again. We had to stop

Someone actually took this photo so we could all be present. After the photo was taken Sandy fell over while mouting the bike for departure. When I said "should I get the camera?" our deal when anything happens and after finding out if everyone is ok, I was met with "help me get this fuc*%ng thing up!" I get it, just had to ask...

Jack was getting used to the whole CD thing.

Alberta, B.C. and so on....

Once checked in at our room at the hot springs there was laundry to do, website to update, calls to make, and oh yeah, check out these springs.
The view out of our window

My soft spot for Saint Bernards after having one for almost 13 years. I got my fill with this one the night before

Goodbye Canada, now to Montana.....

-Terry