Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Oddometer: 554
Our arrival in to Whitefish, not knowing what a tourist destination it was, worked out well. We found a state park sign and followed the road even though the sign said "full". We pulled up to the camp kiosk and asked if there were any spots to be had. The answer was no, but we can give you a list of other camp spots. A lady had dropped off her address and phone number if there were any overflow campers that needed a spot on her vacant land as well. Not really an option for us as there were no facilities, and no kids. We pulled aside to call some of the private camp grounds on the list. While I was on hold with one of them I noticed a sign on the bulletin board about room for "hiker/biker" campers. I knew what these were for, but a 5pm I thought we should ask if they would consider us for the space. As we talked to them about it we learned that they (the camp host and her husband) had been discussing the same thing. They showed us the spot and it was perfect. There was already a cyclist in the spot but room for 5 more tents if needed. Perfect......except I had run my mouth to Jack about "well, if it's full, surely there are kids".....when will I learn!??

It was much smaller than I thought and the kids that were there were with family and already hooked up for the night.

Off to make the rounds....

And find a spot to play

A fabulous dinner once again

The cyclist that were camping there with us, a couple, kept to themselves. We made some small talk, but nothing solid. When night fell we heard them get in to their tent, but again no conversation.

The next morning as we were packing up the guy came over and was checking out our packing and bikes etc. Turns out he used to have an F650 GS but sold it because he didn't ride it much. They were both from Montana (Bozeman) so I asked them the best route to Bozeman to avoid the holiday weekend traffic. He and his girlfriend became more chatty and our route was set. 10 minutes before leaving he came over and said "so, where are you staying in Bozeman?" My reply was, "maybe a motel or whatever. We'll see when we get there". He replied, "Do you want a house to stay in?" "Um, ok, where?" "You can stay at my house if you want. I won't be home until Sunday night but you are all welcome there if you need." I was shocked. "Uh, wow!, that would be great. Are you sure?" He told us where the hide a key was and gave us his cell number. He said there was beer and wine and not sure what else. He told us to do our laundry and where to sleep. I have to say, things like this are what make a trip. People looking out for people. Besides the farm on Vancouver Island, one of the coolest parts of the trip. His place was fantastic. A town house near everything . He even offered his tools if we needed them as he was a bicycle mechanic.

Thank you Bozeman Bob!

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #17
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Bozeman to Grassy Lake

We had been in touch with Ara and Spirit over the last few days about getting together somewhere in Wyoming. Ara did the legwork on finding a place to stay that was off the beaten path and called me to confirm. We set off with the GPS coordinates programmed and arrived in the perfect spot. They had been there for a night already and warned us of the mosquitos. We quickly set up camp just in time to beat them......but they came soon after with a vengence.

So good to see an old friend

Jack was thrilled to be able to use his new fishing pole

And play near the water with Sandy

The boys forraging for wood for the nights fire

The fast moving storm that had us all running for cover the next evening

Sandy, Jack, and I huddled in one tent while the thunder and lightning did its thing. Jack does not like lightning after the close strike we had in Nevada last year......I don't blame him.

Celebrating the semi dry weather the next day

Spirit keeping his cool

Spirit even let Jack try on his helmet as we were departing the final morning. So hard to say goodbye but we have plans to get back together soon

As of Thursday July 7th we are in Logan Utah. We are planning to head to Boise tomorrow to visit a childhood friend of mine. From there through southern Oregon and across the northern California border to stay in McCloud for a few nights. Between here and there,......unknown.

Enjoy

-Terry
Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #18
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,434
Nice family trip!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Our plan was to head south for a few nights and stay in Jackson WY. We needed clean facilities without breaking the budget. After getting the sticker shock of a real room at this place, they offered us a spot in the older section of the property. A little haggling mid week and wala, we had a spot.

There was even a spot to cook dinner. Trying to avoid restaurant food as much as possible. Luckily Sandy is the foodie/cook of the group otherwise it would be Chili or soup every night if I was by myself.

Jack playing a little guitar before bed. (side note and proud dad moment) He's 9 years old. We are at the pool at this place and he's having a good time swimming around. In walks a young girl about his age. The next thing I know they are having a quiet conversation and talking of their respective travels. She's flirting and he's being a 9 year old boy, oblivious......perfect. But I was proud. When I said "buddy, you were talking with the cutest girl there" he says, "I know" I love the innosence and know it's not forever. Rock on dude!

After a delicious dinner of Salmon, vegis, and potatoes, she whips this up.

Peaches, mango, honey, and ginger....nice!

Jack's birthday is in September and being that he is so in to aviation we have talked about taking him up for a flight. A few calls and speaking to the pilot about having him fly right seat netted us planning a little outing the next day.

A little pre flight interview

And away we go!

Jack flew the plane......alot! He was in heaven. So cool to watch your boy grow and enjoy. We feel fortunate being able to do this for him......beans and rice and some dirt camping the next few days......back to the budget.

Our pilot enjoyed it too

A quick stop for a photo op on the way back.

And a big day

The next day's plan was to head to northern Utah and them maybe north to Idaho to see an old friend. For now it was back to rest up for what the next few days may bring....
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #20
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Our plan for the next few days was again very loose. Dip down into Utah and then up to Boise to visit an old friend and avoid Nevada. Central Oregon was a so so drive in an RV many years previous, but I knew there was some scenery that would be breathtaking on 2 wheels.

Off to Logan Utah for the night. Why Logan, I don't know. A good dot on the map.

Time to get on the rain gear....

Jack was once again a trooper. The only thing that got to him was the bursts of lightning off to the north west of us. I assured him that I was watching the direction it was traveling and we were heading the other way. No photos to this destination.....pissing rain, aggressive drivers, one of which wrecked 5 cars in front of us after trying to run us off the road many miles back. I wish the helmet cam was running on that one.

Logan Utah was good for laundry, wifi, and a fair nights sleep only to push off in the morning to Boise. None of us like the idea of interstate. We avoided it most all of the trip, but this was the only way to cram these miles in to the day.

We caught up with a childhood friend of mine from nursery school. We attended school together all the way through high school and he even worked for me for a short period. His name is Gabe but nicknamed Goob since junior high.....and none of us can let that lie.

Heat of gold. Great to see an old friend....

Funny to have our boys play together

Farewell my friend,....until next time.

Onward in to Oregon. The closer west we went the more real that the end of the trip became. Fighting off the pit in my stomach that was leaving this freedom behind was tough to overcome. Monthlong travel, with my family, my best friend, was a true privilage. Damn I don't want it to end.

Onward towards Burns Oregon.

Best burger of the trip here. Too bad the town is struggling as so many others during these tough times. We met a young guy traveling by RV with KTM on the back doing the ski instructor wanderer thing. 10 years ago I wouldn't of understood that, now I am envious. Rock on!

No mistakes here....

The destination was Lakeview Oregon. Some great views along the way.

Home sweet home for the night. A nice parking lot to change final drive oil. Coors light and tools, what more can you ask for.

Closer to home tomorrow....

-Terry
Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #21
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

We were running a few days early at this point and planned to stay in McCloud CA where we have a small place. With only 1100 people in town it is a nice stepping stone back in to reality and eventually the metropolis that life becomes.

A lunch stop in the town of Adin CA about an hour east of McCloud.

Make sure to stop if you are nearby. Typical struggling town in far northern California, but friendly people eager to chat.

Run Jack, run!

Some locals....

Bellies full and eager to get to the housed we pressed on to McCloud where we had 4 days to be off the bikes and reflect a bit.

Downtown McCloud....

Home sweet home

We spent the next few days doing a few chores, hiking, fishing, and not wanting to be back. It's amazing what you can fit on a GS. Sandy went shopping for some stuff to plant and had to go to Mt. Shasta City.

The rest was playtime....well mostly.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #22
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

We left McCloud by 9am and decided to visit some family in Healdsburg on the way home. Not really "on the way" but worth the extra miles.

Sandy's dad and wife had a nice meal for us and invited some other family over to share company and hear about the trip. It was a nice welcome home and great to see them.

Departing that "magic" mountain...

Not too many pics along the way to Healdsburg. We took some backroads and let's just say it took a little longer than expected. Had to burn it to get there....

Some grandpa time....

Thanks for everything....

Onward to Davis....home

But first, one last stop for some BBQ

The food is good, but we enjoyed being away from people earlier in the trip. Crowds were a bit hard to be around. Being in the last hours of the trip didn't help.

OK guys, let's bring it home safe. No wheelies

A few pics on the way out of town

The old family farm

And were welcomed home by one of Jack's friends who put up a sign for us on the front of the house.....very cool.

Great trip, but I want to still be out on it!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Our complete route.....3045 miles

View 2011 Adventure Trio Road Trip in a larger map
Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #24
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,660
Awesome!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #25
nomad guy
A legal alien

Oddometer: 788
What a cool trip and what a cool family.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #26
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Thanks guys, it was an absolute blast. Already planning next years big trip with a few shorter ones in between. My son is growing so fast I'm not sure how we'll continue to fit everything. Almost 10 but growing like a weed.

-Terry
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
Adventure Trio OP
GS'r

Already trip planning for June and I find myself looking over old ride reports and photos missing the road. 2011 threw some challenges at us and we're committed to making 2012 a great one.

Happy New Year to everyone!

-Terry
Old 03-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #28
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,737
Just heard you guys on the WheelNerds !Great show, and great rides. So, I'm reading this RR and all of a sudden, I hear John Denver...
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote