User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2004, 06:56 AM   #1
R80GSSportrider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
R80G/S Front end upgrade

I am looking to upgrade the front suspension on my R80G/SPD, '84 model. I never have been happy with how the stock forks feel. Sitting still, I can shake the handlebars back and forth and watch the forks flex. This is even with thick top triple tree and fork brace. By upgrading the front end, I can also upgrade the brakes.

What are my options? What have other G/S riders done and where are the sources? What are the results? How difficult?

Is a R100GS front end an option? Should bolt up, but I am not sure if the length is correct. What about White Power front end?

The only source I have seen is HPN. I'd much rather find sources here in the states.
R80GSSportrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:06 AM   #2
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,338
Firstly, what type of riding do you intend to do on this bike? If it's just street or g/s touring you can install Race Tech Gold Valves. They make a world of difference. I'm not sure which model valve but I'm sure some Advrider will know. But that still leaves you with the noodly R80 fork tubes
A better solution would be to slap a pair of R100 GS forks on there with a Gold Valve. Yes it can be done.
Again, as I'm not certain of the details, I'll defer to someone else to chime in. But I believe that you'll need the entire triple clamp assembly as well. Once you have the R100 forks in you can do an upgrade to the front brake. Stainless line, Harison 6-pot brake and a MAP rotor.
Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,197
Yeah, dem forks is pretty scary. I was not that impressed with the r100GS forks.

I reckon there a lots of dirt bike forks that could be adapted. I also reckon that USD forks would foul the tank pretty badly.

Just remember, if you go taller in front, you'll have to go taller in back, which is non-trivial.

Guess you better go make some measurements, start lookin' around for forks, and build a good relationship with a machinist. Buena suerte!
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:56 PM   #4
BARB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,879
Have you considered just putting in heavier fork springs like progressive?
BARB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
If the forks are flexin (and R80G/S forks will) then changing the internals will not help .. springs and dampin have little to do with the tube bending.

Going with upside down forks will reduce the maximum stearing angle... but gives a very stiff fork.

One other thing .. don't go with a fork off a light weight bike .. you don't want to have the 'new' fork brake on you as your ridin. Go for something off a 600 or more... and you'll be spendin lotsa money this way .. machineing up new parts. When lookin for less flexiable forks do consider the axcel and tube diameters ... larger is better.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
R80GSSportrider OP
Adventurer

It's the forks flexing that is the worry. I've done all the upgrades, progressive springs and spacers, fork brace, stiff top triple tree.

Off road going slow is not a problem. The bike excells climbing and dropping over rough, technical stuff. Its when I am moving at high speed, either with a load of camping gear or two up, that the forks feel like noodles. With a better front end, the braking will be much stronger and off road abilites improve as well.

So come on guys....who's done this to a R80G/S?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:28 PM   #7
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,381
Quote:
Said R80GSSportrider:
stiff top triple tree.
A Upper triple clamp have very little effect on the stiffenss of the front end..
If you want stiffer you need to get a LOWER one with a bigger clamping area(3 bolt type 60/70MM tall)

Franks is very right,,get a current fork with a big axle if not a Hollow axle,to increase the rigidity.

also I will look for a right side up fork from a KTM 620/640 like the 50MM WP or a Marchochi magnum from a Husky,very nice forks not to expensive and masive and rigid as hell.

actually maybe a early upside down fork will work some of the are about 52MM/54MM at their widest point,,also remenber that if the fork is to solid the frame is the one is going to flex and even suffer from more stress than before.aka is a never ending story
Old 01-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #8
R80GSSportrider OP
Adventurer

Is there such a thing as a thicker, stiffer, lower triple tree? Never seen one.

And I am also aware of what you point out Ricardo, about transferring the problem to the frame. Fix a problem here only to have it show up worse over there kind of a deal.

But I have seen pictures of R80G/S's with different higher grade front ends, and so I am curious what others have found out.

Where do I find a WP set-up? Is there a "dirt bike junk yard" site?
Old 01-22-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,381
Quote:
Said R80GSSportrider:
Is there such a thing as a thicker, stiffer, lower triple tree? Never seen one.
for sure i never see a R80 specific high preformance lower clamp,,is just a shilly proposition since the fork legs already flex so much.
my self I will go in search of similar setup on dirtbikes and see if I find something that fits.
you need to remenber that the Rake,Trail of the fork is very important and for sure upper and lower need to be concentric(same axis) replacing or even making a steering colum is not a big deal,and making shims to fit the skinny fork legs still much cheaper than to get a custom made one of the kind fork

Quote:
E-bay maybe the KTM forum's,i'm sure they can be found
Old 01-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #10
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,267
WPs

Quote:
Said R80GSSportrider:
What size mm are you looking for ? I have a set of WP USDs that were taken off of a 1995 Husaberg
FE501E. I think they are 48mm but would need to check.

zippy

The Dude
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #11
KLEINE
oo

lots of info

check this!!

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid...w.advrider.com

regards
Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #12
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,386
I've done work on my stock forks, same as yours. They work fine unloaded. But, put camping gear etc on the back and at high speeds it will develop quite a wobble, almost twisting feel. The culprit was the rear sag. Try measuring the rear sag unloaded, then put all your gear on it and set the rear sag to same measurement. Fine tune it with compression/rebound adjustments.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 04-04-2015 at 08:19 AM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #13
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
I've done work on my stock forks, same as yours. They work fine unloaded. But, put camping gear etc on the back and at high speeds it will develop quite a wobble, almost twisting feel. The culprit was the rear sag. Try measuring the rear sag unloaded, then put all your gear on it and set the rear sag to same measurement. Fine tune it with compression/rebound adjustments.
Agreed on the sag adjustment as being critical to eliminate the loaded wobbles.
That said, the spindly stock forks and sad stock shocks only exacerbate the wobble.

Cricket the Dog-RIP
Old 04-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
KLEINE
oo

sorry this is a reply on a verry old post i just posted the google finds to show a mate we all came a long way.

regards
Old 04-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #15
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEINE View Post
sorry this is a reply on a verry old post i just posted the google finds to show a mate we all came a long way.

regards
No worries on the necro thread!
I'm starting up an R80 g/s project shortly.
I'll likely start with heavily modified R100 forks

Cricket the Dog-RIP