User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2015, 03:58 AM   #1
gus OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Looking at a '77 R75/7, questions

I am looking at a '77 R75/7 and had a few questions. I had a '75 R90/6 and a'92 R100 GS.
I rode the bike and it seems to run and idle good and it seemed to not have any handling quirks. It's been awhile since I rode an Airhead and both mine were larger engines. The acceleration seemed lethargic but it was smoothe up to the 70 mph I ran it up to. Am I just used to more power and the 750 just feels slow?

The odometer is showing 20,000 miles. Typical story the bike was left sitting in a garage for years, then bought and still left sitting until the current owner. He took it to a reputable Air Head shop that kept it 2 years piddling with it. He gave them an order to Finnish it. He told them to make it a reliable runner. They rebuilt the forks( I assume new seals), new cables except clutch cable ( the clutch release felt a little abrupt but seemed ok, no slipping), it had a frozen piston so new rings and rod bearings, the carbs were replaced ( I assume used ones), tank was replaced and painted with the fenders and side covers ( looks like a nice paint job) black with correct pinstripes , has Lester mags, original tool kit and tire pump under the seat, it has a few oil leaks looks like maybe the oil pan. It did not look like pushrods tube seals. The tach needle bounced a little and the owner was skeptical the speedometer odometer rolled correctly. It looked ok to me. He rode it over 200 miles back from the shop when he picked it up and has put a few 50 mile rides on it totaling about 1500 miles since he picked it up. He bought a Harley Superglide while waiting on it to be repaired and is a motivated seller. He doesn't like the lack of acceleration and says wife would like him not owning 2 bikes. He has never owned a BMW before this bike and is not a serious rider. Typical story he had a Norton in the early '70's and sold it when he started a family. Then bought the BMW and HD recently.

So, more questions, how do the Bings do with ethanol gas? I know these bikes were not set up for unleaded. What does it cost to have the unleaded conversion done?
The bike cosmetically is not restored and other than paint is in original condition. Typical 40 year old patina but not bad. All lights work and it's quiet running.
What's it worth?
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
My experience is that the Bings are not having problems with ethanol, unless they are left sitting around. If they are, the alcohol attracts water and a white crust develops. The simple answer is to ride the thing, or at least start it regularly.

A lead-free conversion at my shop runs $650-$700. That's for the head work alone.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:37 AM   #3
gus OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Thanks, that was the information I was looking for. The conversion price helps me determine what I want to offer for the bike. And I could not find anything on ethanol use on Bing's website.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 02:13 AM   #4
Flintlock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
My 72 R75/5 was one of my favorite bikes except for a high speed wobble which they fixed the next year. When the 90 came out I did a test ride and it made my 750 seem weak by comparison.

The 750 could out drag race BSA Norton & Sportsters of the time and cruise at 100, so it wasn't a dog but the 900 was noticeably more torque.
Flintlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 AM   #5
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 554
What is it worth??

Seems he spent some money to get it sorted and running - I would replace the clutch cable first thing.

I would put a dollar amount of $2000.

There you go
Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 985
Is the conversion to unleaded really needed? If I'm correct the seats will wear faster when using unleaded but no further damage is done to the engine. I'd just ride it till they are worn and then replace. Just getting some extra miles out of them, they will wear anyway, also with new seats.

Disclaimer: if for any reason I've missed anything that would effect the lifespan of the engine and making it wise to convert ASAP then please enlighten me and ignore the above.

Workshop credo: if it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote