Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
nmalozzi OP
airheaded

Oddometer: 353
Bob's BMW Stainless Brake Lines

Hey,

I just got a set of stainless brake lines for my 83 r80rt from Bob's. I bought the kit that was specifically made for said bike. However, I took the fairing off months back. I was hoping that this kit would also replace the hard steel lines that used to be inside the fairing. However, I was wrong. I knew this was a gamble when ordering, but I ordered on the 4th of July and knew I couldn't call them up and confirm. So I rolled the dice and lost.

The lines are AWESOME quality, and I just spoke with someone from Bob's on the phone who claims they don't have a kit with longer lines available (I was hoping I could just swap my uninstalled set with a set from a different model). Surely there is a kit available, as I'd assume a /7 would need those longer lines to get up under the tank. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Anybody have any luck ordering something like this from Bob's so I can maybe call them back and have a specific kit to request?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,885
Not to take sales away from Bob's

but you don't need specific brake lines.

I have had great luck getting rid of the hard line and going with braided lines from mastercylinder to caliper
With new banjo bolts and sealing washers on both ends, for dual disk set ups, there is a double length banjo bolt, and two more washer.

Especially effective for GS's when you want to be able to switch from high to low fenders easily. (Not that, that is what you are talking about)

I don't know if they are still around, but the outfit Cyclebrakes, used to give and ADV discount,
Cyclebrakes.com.

You can order from them your custom length brake lines.

In a rainbow of fruity flavors... er colors.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,547
Another +1 for cyclebrakes... just tell them you make and model and they make up the lines... no retention of the hard lines if you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
nmalozzi OP
airheaded

I'd like to keep the stock setup with the splitter under the tank. Mainly because if I'm not mistaken it's what triggers the brake light. Don't really feel like having to rearrange all of that.

I'll take a look at cyclebrakes, but I was hoping someone had sorted this out with Bobs already since the refund process will probably take forever. Was hoping to just swap for what I needed. The guy I talked to on the phone seemed pretty clueless about airheads. So I was left with the impression that they probably have what I need if I knew what to ask for.

And just in case I wasn't clear. I don't really need to replace the hard lines on the forks. Just want to replace the hard lines between the splitter under the tank and where they switch to rubber lines (this is where they used to come through the fairing). I've got no issue removing the ones on the fork too, but not my top priority at this point.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 323
Bud Provin is an expert with this stuff.

http://thenickwackettgarage.com/bmw/
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Ask them for a kit for an '81-'84 R100 with USA bars. If they can't figure it that out, give 'em this part number: 02-020. That'll give 'em something to think about!

But, really-why would you think a standard RT kit would work with the fairing removed? When you modify a bike, you need to do as much thinking as the guy you're ordering from.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
*** But, really-why would you think a standard RT kit would work with the fairing removed? When you modify a bike, you need to do as much thinking as the guy you're ordering from.
Ouch .. no need to kick the guy while his wallet is still bleeding! He confessed, we all feel his pain, it won't happen again. Right Nick?

I'll add a +1 for quality of Bud Provin's work. Call 'thenickwacketgarage' and you'll have no regrets (other than not calling him first).
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
nmalozzi OP
airheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Ask them for a kit for an '81-'84 R100 with USA bars. If they can't figure it that out, give 'em this part number: 02-020. That'll give 'em something to think about!

But, really-why would you think a standard RT kit would work with the fairing removed? When you modify a bike, you need to do as much thinking as the guy you're ordering from.

Like I said, I knew I was taking a gamble when I ordered it. I'd have given them
a call if it wasn't a holiday. I figured there was a 50/50 chance I'd get what I was after and took the risk. What's more frustrating though is when I did call and explain what I was trying to accomplish the guy on the other end was clueless. I was ready and willing to buy an entirely new kit and eat the cost if they weren't willing to make the exchange.

I'll try calling again on Monday and ask about the r100 lines though. Hopefully they'll let me just swap em.

FWIW: It kind of amazes me that they don't have a parts list for the kit in the item description. If they just listed what was in the kit I bet they'd avoid a lot of people calling in and asking things like this. Maybe even sell a few more kits to people who aren't interested in calling in with their questions... sorry, I do web/ux design for a living and have a hard time turning that part of my brain off.

nmalozzi screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 09:51 PM
nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
Bud Provin is an expert with this stuff.

http://thenickwackettgarage.com/bmw/
I'll second this... (I'm finally.... installing a set of his oil cooler lines this wknd)...

ps - I also deleted the hard line attached to the frame under the tank and just used 3 Spieglers, they work great.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #10
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,885
The fewer fittings you have the less chance of air getting trapped in the line.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:06 AM   #11
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Bob View Post
Ouch .. no need to kick the guy while his wallet is still bleeding! He confessed, we all feel his pain, it won't happen again. Right Nick?

I'll add a +1 for quality of Bud Provin's work. Call 'thenickwacketgarage' and you'll have no regrets (other than not calling him first).
Irony...
Old 07-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish View Post
The fewer fittings you have the less chance of air getting trapped in the line.

With the center hard line, I had 3 to the front brakes.

Removed, with the Spiegler, I still have 3 (lines).
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
nothing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
+1 for the method of using a double banjo at the master cylinder and running individual lines to each caliper. Measuring the length needed and ordering custom lines from any of a number of sources will be cheaper than any "kit" - eBay seller "rennsportautoparts" has some very good prices.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #14
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Irony...
Umm ... ... ok, you got me Ozmoses. Sorry Nick.
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #15
nmalozzi OP
airheaded

Sheesh. Everyone seems a bit stressed down here in Airheadom lately. More so then the usual at least.

Anyway, I think I'm on my way to sorting this out. Thanks for the help. I'll post up what kit works for this situation so at least those who find there way here by way of google have an answer.