Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
a7grenade OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Pilot mixture screw 81 r65

Just rebuilt my bing 32s nipple top carbs
One pilot screw was a quarter turn out from bottom and the other was 3 and quarter. Can any one pls say where they have experienced them to be. Where should I start. Thanks
I know each carb is different etc etc just wondering

Thanks
a7grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,241
Do you mean the mixture screw, used to set the idle, or the pilot screw, up under the body, accessible when the bowl is off?

Mixture screws may be different, but not usually that much. Do they have the small springs in situ and are the passages clean?

Mr BING says 0.5 turn on the idle mixture screw.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
190e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
3 and one quarter turns out on the mixture screw is very abnormal and indicates a problem somewhere. Possibly a blockage or very low float level on that side. It's said they can be different side to side and not to worry but the only time I've seen significant differences is when the float levels are different. e.g. I've seen 1/2 turn on one side and 1/4 turn on the other and that was down to high float level on the 1/4 turn side.

The stock setting is half a turn and most end up very close to that after tuning if everything else is in order.
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
a7grenade OP
Adventurer

Hi, the screw outside, I've wound them in fully and back out a quarter, will try that
Thanks

a7grenade screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 06:45 AM
Old 09-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,184
Sorry guys, good info, but a little confusing.

BIG screw, with spring visible, on the side of carb near the engine, is for setting idle speed.

small screw, no spring visible, underneath the carb, toward the front, near the rubber intake boot, is for setting low speed mixture (also referred to as pilot screw).

The small screw, as mentioned, should be set initially at one-half-turn-out after turning it all the way in until it lightly stops.

The idle speed screw isn't so cut and dried as far as initial settings go (someone else may know something I don't). I back them off until there's a gap between the end of the screw and the lever it pushes against, then turn the screws in until they just touch, then turn them another full turn and a half. You'll have to adjust them to get the idle speed right, then readjust when you sync the carbs.

Hope this helps. Hope I don't sound like a freeking pedant.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,241
Good description there c9.
I faulted by calling the pilot jet a screw...
Pilot mixture screw under the head side of the carb, spring out of sight above it. The spring can get lost if you're not careful. Sometimes called the mixture screw, sometimes called the pilot screw.
The idle screw is above the head intake side of carb, closer to the engine. It adjusts the butterfly position. Sometimes called the butterfly adjuster, but rarely so. Some BING diagrams show this adjacent to the mixture screw, but that'd be the wrong carb drawing.

boxerboy81 screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 03:58 PM
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
190e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
The initial settings for an R65 are :

Mixture screw 1/2 turn out (or 3/4 of a turn if you have the smaller 40 idle jet instead of the 45)

Throttle stop screw Book figure is 1 turn out although in practice I find that gives a very high idle speed. 4 or 5 flats out is enough to start with.

Bear in mind both of these screws respond to the smallest adjustment you can possibly make. The width of the screw driver slot is a big change.
190e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,184
Now if I could install a pilot JET consistently without dislodging or tearing the o-ring. That makes adjustments a bit wonkey to say the least!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
a7grenade OP
Adventurer

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post25076394

someone might know the secret of my latest query?