User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #61
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer: 317
Dqb

Funny how a couple of days clouds your memory.
Wimbo spearing off the track half way up a dune on the CSR heading to DQB.
I thlnk this was before the overheating/dehydration (not the bike) incident.
Attached Images

J_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #62
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Desert Queen Baths

WAALEX - Started to feel comfortable in the soft stuff- Familiarity Breeds Contempt!

This is a particularly tough section of the track in from the south to DQB
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #63
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Dqb

Over every hill on the CSR was something different but most of the time it was just another dune.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #64
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Dqb

The circuit we completed was pretty rushed but absolutely incredible country.
I would love to specify where we went but I didnít have a map.- East of Newman somewhere - Wilmo knows he's got all those sorts of gadgets.

WAALEX and Wilmo took the Tenereís well beyond their intended purpose. They are a tough bike!
I thought I might move the DRZ on but now it would be like shooting Red Dog - It probably deserves more love..

Always risky travelling with strangers but we made great team and couldnít have done the trip without the support of Greg in Newman (Pilbra?) and Stormsearcher at Punmu.

Canít wait for 2013 Desert Raid and maybe an approach from the southern or northern end of the CSR.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #65
waalex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
I would love to specify where we went but I didnít have a map.- East of Newman somewhere
Didn't have a map, but it seems as though you always had a camera at the ready...

2010 Yamaha Tenere
waalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #66
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Marble Bar

Don't miss a visit to Marble Bar while you are in the area folks, hottest town in Australia, I was there one night and the minimum overnight temperature was 40 deg C in town, bullshit you may say but it is a fact, daytime temp was 53C, slip rings on the town genset were howling and no matter how much rum I drank I could not sleep and my red kelpie was the same. (BOM site says 35 min and 48 max, don't believe it, most of town is in the gully not the govt. hill)
Check the corrugated road culverts for gold dust in that area, you might be surprised.
I have been at Carawine Gorge in summer as well, 57 deg C and winter -3C.
So much hardship and history there, check out the cemetary and memorial, lots of old timers died from "apoplexy" which is a brain annurism most likely due to thin blood from heat.
I may see you there, I love sandy track riding.
I get excited every time I see the Pilbara talked about!

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)

Kenno screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 07:08 PM
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #67
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=FIIG Rick;16160582]Good choice, as you know Shane, myself, Dren and Oly did Rudall River last year?(or the year before),Shane pulled out in Newman after hitting a treenot many trees up there but Shane found one, Rudall river is remote, poorly sign posted, a long way from anywhere but thats why we go,Jigalong Mission - you need permits to fuel up.
Can't wait.....

Rudall River sand

More Sand!!

Two sets of dingo tracks there, one a couple of days old and one the day you took the photo, don't go to sleep when you have an off or he'll eat you since he was most likely patrolling the track for a feed , or worse, a mate

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM   #68
farcall OP
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIIG Rick View Post
Rudall River sand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
Two sets of dingo tracks there, one a couple of days old and one the day you took the photo, don't go to sleep when you have an off or he'll eat you since he was most likely patrolling the track for a feed , or worse, a mate
Actually, the dingo took one look in Ricks eyes (after 7 days away from home) and was last seen heading for Ayres Rock.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #69
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Dqb

Funny thing about that track was when we turned east to DQB it was tougher becoming a rutted and stony track with washed out creeks and overgrown sandy sections in amongst a stone lunar landscape. Canít imagine it now but at the time I was wishing for the River of sand again.

Our expectations were mixed as (Maddy) Stormsearcher had reliably told us he almost killed a landcruiser on the way in only to find a dry stone river bed at the end of it. If only he had gotten out of the car and walked 50m to the start of some really spectacular water holes. Mind you there is not a direction sign to be seen in the Park and our fist swim was in a knee deep mud hole. Later we found the main water way.

On the way in the track was tough but that was after a long and hot days ride. On the way out with cool sand , rest and a swim it was a hoot.

Attached Images

Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #70
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
mmm temping seeing as we missed it last time now I just need a dirt bike as I'm living in Broome now but 2013??? might be in South America again?!!

Anyone want to do it sooner??

oh yeah I grew up in Marble Bar, Kenno
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #71
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer View Post
mmm temping seeing as we missed it last time now I just need a dirt bike as I'm living in Broome now but 2013??? might be in South America again?!!

Hey Oly, I grew up on Koolan Island, down to Perth for High School then Broome/Derby/Fitzroy again in 1979 then Port Hedland. When did you live in Marble Bar, I have been going through there since 1969 and spent a hell of a lot of time around there from 1985 to 1995.
Unable to PM you due to login issues here.
Would love to do it sooner plus the big raid, not too soon though, got some healing to do first.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #72
FIIG Rick
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer View Post

Did we miss it?
Oly ya tricked me, you told me that stagnent pool in the dry river bed at the end of that track we did 3 times following your directions WAS the baths??

thought it was a bit over rated!
Eaten any turtle yet?
The other white meat
Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #73
FIIG Rick
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Actually, the dingo took one look in Ricks eyes (after 7 days away from home) and was last seen heading for Ayres Rock.
Might have been the 7 days without a shower and slogging my guts out with the GSA that did it, had to throw those undies out at the end of the trip, phuck that sand was deep
Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 AM   #74
PilbaraGoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Don't want to piss anyone off, it's great that blokes kick these things off, but 2013 does sound a long way off.....and I haven't had a trip longer than four days since June 2010 (my how the time flies)......2012 anyone?

Some of the pics coming through of the sand dunes in that part of the world have me rethinking my hard panniers and full swag with two mattresses set up.

Is 4wd support (not that there's anything wrong with that!) frowned on on this thread? I ask only because I have Victorian friends (tried and tested travellers on bikes and 4wd) asking me to set up a 4wd trip over this way next winter.........
Old 09-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #75
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilbaraGoat View Post
Don't want to piss anyone off, it's great that blokes kick these things off, but 2013 does sound a long way off.....and I haven't had a trip longer than four days since June 2010 (my how the time flies)......2012 anyone?

Some of the pics coming through of the sand dunes in that part of the world have me rethinking my hard panniers and full swag with two mattresses set up.

Is 4wd support (not that there's anything wrong with that!) frowned on on this thread? I ask only because I have Victorian friends (tried and tested travellers on bikes and 4wd) asking me to set up a 4wd trip over this way next winter.........
I am going there next year Pilbara, in the back door most likely.