Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #76
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenno View Post
Hey Oly, I grew up on Koolan Island, down to Perth for High School then Broome/Derby/Fitzroy again in 1979 then Port Hedland. When did you live in Marble Bar, I have been going through there since 1969 and spent a hell of a lot of time around there from 1985 to 1995.
Unable to PM you due to login issues here.
Would love to do it sooner plus the big raid, not too soon though, got some healing to do first.
Hey Kenno, was in Marble Bar '79 till '83 then Hedland '83 till '86 I think, was a young tacker

I'm trying to sort out a bike and 2012 sounds great as the wet will soon be here, so mid next year?

I'm all up for support vehicle as then it can be an awesome dirt ride on the bike with out 10 ton of gear on the back, been there crossed that river ;)
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #77
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
I've been asked to kick this into play now, rather than later, so here we go...

If you are looking for an(other) excuse for a tough adventure ride in WA why not be part of the 3rd Desert Raid. The destination is Desert Queen Baths situated in the Rudall River NP, east Pilbara WA. Coords 22°27'48.89"S 122°15'40.27"E.

Get this in your ride calendar now! We'll gather there on Wednesday 21 August 2013.

Why this day/date?
1. It's a long way from anywhere so picking a weekend day is probably unnecessary.
2. 21 Aug is a full moon. The moonlight will help those of us who seem to end up riding at night . And will suit those who love to howl occasionally
3. Typically, its the driest month of the year in that area.

Permits? I'm quite sure none are needed but please check for yourself.

Don't miss out on the fun. 16 gnarly adventure riders managed to make it to Desert Raid 2011 (Neale Junction) and another 30 or so gave it a good crack but didn't get there.

Just like Neale Jcn there's no 'soft' way to get to Desert Queen Baths (DQB). Will there be sand? ...yep!

About Desert Queen Baths (DQB)
Part of a gorge system
Permanent water holes there
Gorge climbing for those so inclined
Very remote
Few travellers venture to this area
Exploroz has a good summary & pics - here

Pic courtesy Exploroz
Attachment 270784

Fuel - do your own logistics and be self sufficient because I'm sure no-one will be doing any fuel drops. Here is my early plan (distances are approx):
Refuel at Newman
Refuel at Cotton Creek 370km (aka Parnngurr - ph 08-9176 9009... aboriginal community... reported to have Opal fuel avail from mid-2011)
then DQB, Carawine Gorge*, Skull Springs Rd**
Refuel at Nullagine 615km

*Carawine Gorge - another permanent water hole in scenic gorge country. Deep water and approx 1km long & 300m across. This 'could' be a meeting point for those not wishing to tackle the Rudall River NP. I recommend the DQB riders lob here on their way home.

**Skull Springs Rd is one of the best bike rides in the Pilbara (and there are a few). Ruggedly scenic. 140kms of good continually undulating and winding stony track. Expect to encounter a couple of moderate water crossings - should be no trouble on a bike, wet boots maybe.

This ride could be an excuse (partic for you eastern staters) to take some time to explore the many scenic parts of the often by-passed Pilbara.

For the legal hawks out there, NOBODY is 'organising' this ride . Four of us are definitely going and I'm just telling you guys about our plans in case others would like to meet us there.

Shane
Shane, I am planning to ride in via Plenty or Sandover Hwy and Alice next June (2012) then via Kintore, Well 33, SouthWest on the CSR for 300klms across the red dunes, Cotton Ck then DQB and if it goes ok will pass on the details so others from the East might use it in 2013 including me again probably, that way Eastern inmates can return via Kimberley or Great Central Hwy and save going over same roads and see the Pilbara as first point of contact for an unforgetable ride.
Fuel stops for opal are around 350k apart so no problem as long as there are no community funerals happening but they can be worked around sometimes.
The wind will be on our backs from Alice at that time of year, it blows like a bastard at 30+ knots from the East.

The plan is to be back in Cairns for the OCR after that.

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #78
farcall OP
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,850
Sounds like a great ride Ken. Will be interesting to read about your ride across the Gary Junction Rd.
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 AM   #79
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer: 319
well 32 - 23 CSR

Hi Ken
we did a loop out of Newman a month ago including that section of the CSR. As an indication of travel time we basically started just south of Well 33 and made it to Well 26 (about 220kms) in a day. That included 2+ hrs in the shade at lunch time and some mucking around fixing a flat. The dunes were a lot easier in the cool of the day but pretty easy going particularly in the SW direction. Good water and camping spot at Well 26. Then more good water at Georgina Bore.

Cotton Creek sold us fuel but a bit of mucking around getting it out of a locked shipping container, finding keys etc.. They charged $4.00/L plus $20.00 service fee (but they waivered the service fee). Suggest you call them first to make sure they have fuel on hand. May be easier to arrange a fuel drop at well 23 via Capricorn Roadhouse so you can get ULP and save the run in and out of Cotton Creek - you won’t miss too much....... DQB is well worth a visit and Skull Springs Rd a great ride.

If a 200L drum is too much at the fuel dump you wont have too much trouble splitting it with a few others as there should be a few planning that loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzkbftTp3qk

Cheers
JB
Attached Images

J_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #80
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,270
Further to Jon's comments - If you are going to fuel up at Cotton Creek, you are going to have to carry extra to get in and out of DQB. We had a fuel drop close to the turn-off from the Talawana Track, which goes North into Rudall River NP - which we refuelled at on the way out, to get us back to Newman. If we hadn't had the fuel drop, then we would have needed to carry at least 10-20L (depends which way you want to go) on top of the full tank (23L on the Tenere) to get back to civilisation.

Rudall River Ride Report - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725764

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #81
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
Hi Ken
we did a loop out of Newman a month ago including that section of the CSR. As an indication of travel time we basically started just south of Well 33 and made it to Well 26 (about 220kms) in a day. That included 2+ hrs in the shade at lunch time and some mucking around fixing a flat. The dunes were a lot easier in the cool of the day but pretty easy going particularly in the SW direction. Good water and camping spot at Well 26. Then more good water at Georgina Bore.

Cotton Creek sold us fuel but a bit of mucking around getting it out of a locked shipping container, finding keys etc.. They charged $4.00/L plus $20.00 service fee (but they waivered the service fee). Suggest you call them first to make sure they have fuel on hand. May be easier to arrange a fuel drop at well 23 via Capricorn Roadhouse so you can get ULP and save the run in and out of Cotton Creek - you won’t miss too much....... DQB is well worth a visit and Skull Springs Rd a great ride.

If a 200L drum is too much at the fuel dump you wont have too much trouble splitting it with a few others as there should be a few planning that loop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzkbftTp3qk

Cheers
JB
Cheers for the info JB, I always carry my placky bags for emergency plant water but the wells are easier as long as you get to them, fuel costs are well worth it around there, its only loose change compared to what you get in return as you know, Skull and Carawine are part of my old stomping grounds but I was always out of time to do the DQB and CSR trip and I love those dunes, plan to take it easy and go look at some of the rock art as well if fuel permits.
I carry 700 klms of fuel for good going at 80kph but would be interested to hear how your mileage altered on that 300k leg down the CSR compared to good dirt road if possible, I usually drop 20% for tighter stuff.
If others are going to be riding in the area the fuel drop is completely viable.
Love your photos, looks like heaps of trees are missing at Carawine on the beach side.

Cheers
Ken

Old 10-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #82
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmo View Post
Further to Jon's comments - If you are going to fuel up at Cotton Creek, you are going to have to carry extra to get in and out of DQB. We had a fuel drop close to the turn-off from the Talawana Track, which goes North into Rudall River NP - which we refuelled at on the way out, to get us back to Newman. If we hadn't had the fuel drop, then we would have needed to carry at least 10-20L (depends which way you want to go) on top of the full tank (23L on the Tenere) to get back to civilisation.

Rudall River Ride Report - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725764
Thanks Wilmo, just reading your RR and saw your fuel consumption comparisons, nice story and photos.

Thanks
Ken

Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #83
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like a great ride Ken. Will be interesting to read about your ride across the Gary Junction Rd.
Looking forward to it, I'll document it best I can, the boys who just did the CSR and DQB trip have laid down some pretty good info for the rest of us in the future.

Cheers
Ken

Old 10-14-2011, 03:59 AM   #84
jimkat
jim

Oddometer: 613
Leave request submited.
jimkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #85
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Question Csr

Hi, planning on incorporating doing the CSR with the Desert Raid 2013, heading South to North, this is a must do for me.
Anyone interested?
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #86
farcall OP
Bike-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Hi, planning on incorporating doing the CSR with the Desert Raid 2013, heading South to North, this is a must do for me.
Anyone interested?
Epic.

Any partic reason for South to North?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #87
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Epic.

Any partic reason for South to North?
Will allow 4 weeks all up for this trip and whatever the balance of time left after finishing the CSR / DQB, I will then be better able to plan my return south, route and time wise. Hope that makes sense, the only time constraint, is being at DQB Weds 21st.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #88
farcall OP
Bike-a-holic

Have read plenty of comments here and other forums about the difficulty (partic for bikes) doing CSR northbound. All to do with the south facing slopes being steeper and sandier.

Have you read this thread? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...e#post13911847
Tony refers to the direction of travel about 1/4 way into his first post - just after the pic of UncGra laying down under a shrub.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #89
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Have read plenty of comments here and other forums about the difficulty (partic for bikes) doing CSR northbound. All to do with the south facing slopes being steeper and sandier.

Have you read this thread? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...e#post13911847
Tony refers to the direction of travel about 1/4 way into his first post - just after the pic of UncGra laying down under a shrub.
Cheers for that Shane, I have been looking through threads related to the CSR and was aware that it was harder going north, if there is any interest from other riders joining me, I am happy to start from the northern end if that is what other people feel is best.
Are you heading to NJ at Easter?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #90
fatgut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Cheers for that Shane, I have been looking through threads related to the CSR and was aware that it was harder going north, if there is any interest from other riders joining me, I am happy to start from the northern end if that is what other people feel is best.
Are you heading to NJ at Easter?
Hi Dennis. Looks like we will have some thing to talk about at NJ.
Kev
fatgut is offline   Reply With Quote