Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
floridarandy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Updating Maps on Streetpilot 2720

Found a like new unit on ebay and it works great. Only issue is the 2008 maps. Unit came with CN North America v8 and all i'd like to be able to do is update the maps.

Bought a 2009 update but for some reason Garmin Tech can't figure out it won't update. Shows in Mapsource but Locked and code on DVD says invalid.

If I could update to even 2012 I'd be thrilled as long as it works in Mapsource. Like to create and download routes to unit.

Thanks

Floridarandy
floridarandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
floridarandy OP
Adventurer

I was able to load 2014 maps on the 2720, but unable to delete the 2008 maps. I did use the Disable Detailed Maps function on the 2720 but I think there's still a lot of space being used by them on the device.

I've got the likely range I'll ride for 90% of the time loaded from 2014 but would still enjoy knowing how to totally update to 2014...get all 2014 maps on and overwrite the 2008.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
ProZac235
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I'm not familiar with that model but if it has a memory slot can you just add the updated maps directly on the card? I have a few different Garmin GPS here and that's how I keep my maps updated. I don't bother doing anything with the internal memory
ProZac235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProZac235 View Post
I'm not familiar with that model but if it has a memory slot can you just add the updated maps directly on the card? I have a few different Garmin GPS here and that's how I keep my maps updated. I don't bother doing anything with the internal memory
It doesn't have an SD card.

OP, it might be tied to a previous Garmin account. I don't know for sure if that would have any effect, but it would be my guess.

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Put it into mass storage mode (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...s_Storage_Mode) then use a Windows explorer to find the 2 big map files (will probably be named something like GMAPSUPP.IMG, but should have a .img extension) and delete the older one is how I would do it. I had to do this on my Montana. The map file for each map set is huge, like 2 or 3 GB, way bigger than anything else on the unit, so will be easy to find.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
floridarandy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverflow View Post
It doesn't have an SD card.

OP, it might be tied to a previous Garmin account. I don't know for sure if that would have any effect, but it would be my guess.
I'm betting this is the issue. I was finally able to get the unit transferred to my name so we'll see tonight.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
floridarandy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Put it into mass storage mode (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...s_Storage_Mode) then use a Windows explorer to find the 2 big map files (will probably be named something like GMAPSUPP.IMG, but should have a .img extension) and delete the older one is how I would do it. I had to do this on my Montana. The map file for each map set is huge, like 2 or 3 GB, way bigger than anything else on the unit, so will be easy to find.
No, actually this antique unit has no accessible memory. There's apparently a 2gig mass storage flash drive which is non-accessible and cant' be addressed as a separate drive.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
pckopp
Aged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
If I could update to even 2012 I'd be thrilled as long as it works in Mapsource. Like to create and download routes to unit.
Here is a link to a procedure: http://www.gpspower.net/garmin-discussions/181750-how-update-maps-street-pilot-2720-a.html

That is a link to a forum, like this one and there are several posts in that link. The second procedure that is posted by "ultrasheer" is the one I have used a couple of times with success. The trick is to find your map ID number. Google will probably help you and there are PC / Windows utilities that will display a map ID for you.

Biggest issue is that it is really slow. The 27xx and 28xx StreetPilots have very slow USB ports so a full North America or Europe map will take quite a while, like a couple of hours.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarandy View Post
No, actually this antique unit has no accessible memory. There's apparently a 2gig mass storage flash drive which is non-accessible and cant' be addressed as a separate drive.
Um... I own one, and although it has been a little while, I believe I did what I suggested with mine.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
FLY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I think it could be the same story
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761204
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM   #11
FLY
Adventurer