Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #31
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTOP View Post
First off, great write up. It's threads like these that make these forums such a valuable resource for idiots like me.

I picked up an 09 530 EXC this winter and have been gone for work most of the time I've owned it. It only had 400 street miles when I picked it up and is pretty much a new bike. I bought a Rekluse clutch for it and decided that while I was intaslling that, I might as well do all the upgrades for the oil pump while I had it apart. Everything went well with the clutch and oil pump, but now I have a oil seep coming from the clutch cover (the bigger one). I'm not really sure why this has developed. Both surfaces were clean, I installed a new gasket and torqued the bolts to spec. Upon inspection I can see that the gasket is in the correct place. Today I went out and tightend all the bolts securing the clutch cover about a 1/4 turn more hoping that would stop the flow, but it hasn't. My question is, do I really need the gasket? Could I just take it off and use some kind of gasket maker or would that be a bad idea? Any sugestions would help. I would hate to buy another gasket just have that one leak too.

I had the same thing happen once and had to remove the gasket and install a new one...second one held just fine. Not really sure why my first one didnt seal up, and it hurts when a stupid gasket is that expensive!

I would use a gasket instead of sealant, bits of sealant inside the case have a way of finding their way into small oil ports and pluggin them up
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #32
CalKev
n00b

Oddometer: 3
KTM 450-530 Oil Pump Gear Upgrade

Hodakaguy,

If I order the part # for the 2011 530 will it be the new improved version? I've called KTM Hutt and KTM World and neither know about the upgrade. KTM notes the superseded part number for the oil pump shaft for the 2011 but the pump gears (both 17 & 27 tooth) remain the same. Neither had in stock to look at and compare and both kept repeating that they should be the same part since the part numbers are the same and not superseded. My fear is that I get the same non upgraded gear and have to wait all over for the parts to be returned and look elsewhere.

Where did you order from?

My 2008 530XCR-W broke (27 tooth) while at idle with a piece getting caught between two gears which stalled the bike about 1/2 a mile from our camp. Thankfully I was wasn't rippin' through the gears which would have chewed the piece up and eventually seize the bike. We were on our way to a 10k altitude ride in Bishop California & would of had a tough time getting her back 60 miles out and up high.

Thanks in advance and great write up. Actually awesome as well as the others!

CalKev

CalKev screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 11:19 AM
CalKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #33
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalKev View Post
Hodakaguy,

If I order the part # for the 2011 530 will it be the new improved version? I've called KTM Hutt and KTM World and neither know about the upgrade. KTM notes the superseded part number for the oil pump shaft for the 2011 but the pump gears (both 17 & 27 tooth) remain the same. Neither had in stock to look at and compare and both kept repeating that they should be the same part since the part numbers are the same and not superseded. My fear is that I get the same non upgraded gear and have to wait all over for the parts to be returned and look elsewhere.

My 2008 530XCR-W broke (27 tooth) while at idle with a piece getting caught between two gears which stalled the bike about 1/2 a mile from our camp. Thankfully I was wasn't rippin' through the gears which would have chewed the piece up and eventually seize the bike. We were on our way to a 10k altitude ride in Bishop California & would of had a tough time getting her back 60 miles out and up high.

CalKev
You might want to consider the Blais racing aluminum gears. You can get them HERE
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #34
CalKev
n00b

YetiGS,

Thanks for the reply! Would prefer them but can't justify the $90 at the moment. For $70 + shipping I can replace the oil pump cover, o-ring, pump shaft, both gears, circlips etc. According to what I've read here and elsewhere on the net the new gears seem to be doing well. I wish KTM would cover the update costs or at least the parts. As I said in my original post the consequences could have been worse. Thankfully I was at idle when the gear broke.

CalKev
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalKev View Post
Hodakaguy,

CalKev
Yep, order the part numbers listed in the first post and you'll get the new parts

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #36
CalKev
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Yep, order the part numbers listed in the first post and you'll get the new parts

Hodakaguy
Thanks Hodakaguy! Apparently there is a 2 week back order. If anyone knows of a dealer that has the updated parts in stock, please let me know. I have a Thanksgiving weekend trip coming up.

CalKev
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #37
Nijntje
The Riding Dutchman

Oddometer: 28
Wow, what a great write up! As I need to tighten the e-start torque limiter, my plan is to do this as well in the next couple of weeks, but I'm curious if there is any actual difference in the oil pump covers. Maybe just size to accommodate the larger o-ring perhaps?
Nijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #38
SmashingPumpkins
Dinah-Mo-Humm

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
but I'm curious if there is any actual difference in the oil pump covers. Maybe just size to accommodate the larger o-ring perhaps?
I've wondered this too.

Also, can the new o-ring be used on the old pump cover?

14 300xcw, 08 Z06, 03 525exc
SmashingPumpkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #39
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
thanks for this. I did this last night in about 2-3 hours tops, it was super easy. I only wish you could pull the water pump, clutch, and oil pump gears in 2-3 hours in a car.. It was actually a pleasant job..

2010 450 XC-W Six days.
This is a unique model a lot like your 530 six days where some parts of it are a 2011.

It had the newer gears, old oil pump cover and o rings, and new shaft. Only difference between my '10 450 six days and your '10 530 six days was that yours didn't have the newer shaft...

things for me:

old oil pump cover had same part number but there was a "2" on it instead of a "3"

shafts appear to be the same, measured the same in thickness...

decided to bling it up also...

the whole side of it, super pleasant. I also didn't use a clutch basket tool, I just put in gear with the rear tire on the ground, and used the air gun. It should be OK I figure...

Cycles South Vintage Moto Trek Movie - check out all 7 parts
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #40
ARZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
Wow, what a great write up! As I need to tighten the e-start torque limiter, my plan is to do this as well in the next couple of weeks, but I'm curious if there is any actual difference in the oil pump covers. Maybe just size to accommodate the larger o-ring perhaps?
I read this thread forward and back and didn't see any details on tightening up the E-start Torque limiter. Or even how to check it. Anyone have a link?

Im in the process of a full rebuild, on a 2010 530 XCW, and my pump gears failed, along with a few other things. Any chance any of you have seen another thread that documents a full rebuild on one of these motors?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #41
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARZ View Post
I read this thread forward and back and didn't see any details on tightening up the E-start Torque limiter. Or even how to check it. Anyone have a link?

Im in the process of a full rebuild, on a 2010 530 XCW, and my pump gears failed, along with a few other things. Any chance any of you have seen another thread that documents a full rebuild on one of these motors?
I tight5ened mine once, it worked for a little while, then I was back to kicking it again. I recently got a top end job done (260 hours and valves were still in spec) and I had that part replaced as well. It's been superceeded so hopefully it's an improvement. So far, e-start heaven.

Here's a link to that thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667644
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #42
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
questions ? need advice

i am in the midle of doing the same mod on my rf4 2008 (450xcf)

does the larger oil jet apply to my motor as well ?
strange my bike has 50 hours on it and the gears are metal ?

can anyone give me advice on this?
munn sold me the three pumps and plastic gears with no mention of larger oil jet ?
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #43
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,267
400 xc-w

Does anyone know if an 09 400 XC-W would benefit from the same upgrades? I'm assuming the bottom end is the same?

I plan to install a Rekluse, and if I'm in there that far...
Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #44
resqd1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
if you have metal gears someone already put the blais kit in
resqd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #45
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Quote: